Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Badge WX, can you program it with serial instead of WiFi ? — Parallax Forums

Parallax Badge WX, can you program it with serial instead of WiFi ?

I was looking at the documentation and it doesn't say if you can program the Propeller with the normal serial interface (Propeller Plug) instead of the WX module.

It seems to be saying you can ONLY program it with blocky ?

Bean

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2018-09-07 17:22
    Bean wrote: »
    I was looking at the documentation and it doesn't say if you can program the Propeller with the normal serial interface (Propeller Plug) instead of the WX module.

It seems to be saying you can ONLY program it with blocky ?

Bean
    You should be able to program it with proploader over a wifi connection and proploader -s over a serial link with a PropPlug.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Ok, thanks.

I'll get one to play around with.

Bean
  • Well, that's what it looks like to me. I'm sure proploader can do it wirelessly. I'm just guessing about using a PropPlug because the back of the board seems to have some holes where a connector could be soldered. I don't have one of these so I can't say for sure.
  • Okay, I was wrong. There are pads for a PropPlug but not holes where you can solder a header. You'd have to use pogo pins.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-09-07 20:28
    David Betz wrote: »
    Okay, I was wrong. There are pads for a PropPlug but not holes where you can solder a header. You'd have to use pogo pins.

I bet you could solder a 90 degree header on to those pads, and they would hold.

Page 32 talks about connecting a Prop-Plug to program the WX module, I don't see anything about programming the propeller with a Prop-Plug.

I just tried to register to use blocky and I keep getting the message "A problem occurred" ???

Bean
    Ok, I finally got registered...

Hmmm, I wanted to use this thing with PropBasic, but it looks like it's not going to be easy...

Bean
  • Bean wrote: »
    Page 32 talks about connecting a Prop-Plug to program the WX module, I don't see anything about programming the propeller with a Prop-Plug.

I just tried to register to use blocky and I keep getting the message "A problem occurred" ???

Bean
    Jeff Martin says you can use those pads to program either the Propeller or the ESP8266. That's the way they program both chips during manufacturing.
    Does the Badge WX come with the Audio/Video cable ?

I assume it does not, but I couldn't find the cable on the Parallax website.

Anyone know the part # and where I can get one ?

Bean
    Does the Badge WX come with the Audio/Video cable ?

I assume it does not, but I couldn't find the cable on the Parallax website.

Anyone know the part # and where I can get one ?

Bean

Not included.

This would be suitable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C6CY5DM/ref=psdc_3236443011_t5_B00GO4EPKC

The Badge WX AV socket is wired from the tip, Audio, Audio, Ground, Video.

Compatible cable with iPod, iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire tablets, Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets, Google Nexus cellphones and tablets, Microsoft Surface tablets, many MP3 players

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2018-09-08 19:25
    Publison wrote: »
    I bet you could solder a 90 degree header on to those pads, and they would hold.

Something like this would work: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/harwin-inc/M20-8890645/952-3235-ND/6565719

Using a PropPlug and 0,1" jumper (like this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/NPC02SXON-RC/S9341-ND/2618266)

To program the Propeller, put the jumper across WiFi GND-RES, and plug the PropPlug in to the 4 last pads which are marked tx-rx-resn-gnd.

Although you didn't ask, to program the WiFi module you'd put the jumper across the last 2 pads (resn-gnd), and orientate the PropPlug to go into gnd-res-rx-tx (basically the opposite orientation as to when you program the Propeller). - not that there's any normal need to program the wifi module outside manufacturing, but perhaps someone might want to, if they wanted to write custom wifi firmware.

The point of the jumper is to disable (hold in reset) the device not being programmed, as both the Propeller and WiFi module share the same tx/rx pins.

As David suggested, 6 pogo pins (perhaps stuffed into the end of a 6-way header socket) would work great too!

Happy to share part numbers to make up a pogo-programming cable on Monday, if that would help.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-09-08 19:53
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »

Something like this would work: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/harwin-inc/M20-8890645/952-3235-ND/6565719

I like those. Will be on next week's order.

Guess I need to order my badge first. :)
    Thanks everyone.
    It just seems strange that Parallax would not sell the proper cable.

I have a bunch more questions, but I'll wait until I get the badge. Many could be answered easily once I have it in my grubby little fingers...

Bean
    edited 2018-09-09 06:30
    Sorry I just noticed that I posted this in the "Propeller 2" forum.
    Can an admin please move this to the Propeller forum.
    Thanks,
    Bean
    Sorry I just noticed that I posted this in the "Propeller 2" forum.
    Can an admin please move this to the Propeller forum.
    Thanks,
    Bean

Moved to P1.

• cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2018-09-09 20:36
    Interesting badge.

Does anyone have the I/O list?
    What pins go to what parts?
    (edit) - Never mind - found the schematic

I've had the same problem trying to get to BlockyProp.
    Any solutions?
    (edit) Never mind - It worked this time!

Now, having seen Blocky - can I use Spin instead?
  • About BlocklyProp not working.

Friday morning we pushed some new code to the blockly.parallax.com site. We chose the wrong branch from our GitHub resources, using an old code base. We received many calls from teachers on Friday - and see the posts on the forums now too. I was also fielding inquiries from teachers and giving them the typical tips (i.e., student must have misspelled the teacher's e-mail address to confirm their account, or they didn't enter their own address correctly) but this was not the problem. New account creation was indeed broken!

We have replaced the code with the correct code base, tested it, and included correct error messaging for the developers if there is a failed account setup.

Therefore, please try again - everything should be fine.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • Thank you, Ken.

Now, about using Spin on the WX Badge???
  • cavelamb wrote: »
    Thank you, Ken.

Sure, you can use Spin on the Badge WX, but not wirelessly (unless David Betz can guide us on this). It'll take some code development unless these objects are already written. I think you'll just put a PropPlug on pins attached to the four pads. Not the easiest setup. We could add a better physical connection on a future revision.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    cavelamb wrote: »
    Thank you, Ken.

Sure, you can use Spin on the Badge WX, but not wirelessly (unless David Betz can guide us on this). It'll take some code development unless these objects are already written. I think you'll just put a PropPlug on pins attached to the four pads. Not the easiest setup. We could add a better physical connection on a future revision.

Ken Gracey
    Yes, you can load Spin code wirelessly. No matter what language you start with (Blockly, C, Spin, PropBasic, FastSpin, etc) you end up with a .binary file that proploader can send wirelessly to the WX Badge.

• What I was wondering about mostly is WX drivers for Spin?

Gonna have to dig into this a bit deeper.
    I looked around and found P1Load on github.

It has been a while since I was actively following what you guys
    were doing and it's odd feeling - interesting, but deeply involved.
  • cavelamb wrote: »
    What I was wondering about mostly is WX drivers for Spin?

Gonna have to dig into this a bit deeper.
    I looked around and found P1Load on github.

It has been a while since I was actively following what you guys
    were doing and it's odd feeling - interesting, but deeply involved.
    p1load does not know how to speak the wifi protocol. You'll have to use proploader.
    David,
    Is there a way to send and receive characters to/from the Bagde WX with WiFi ?
    Something like Serial Terminal, but for the WiFi module ?
    Or is it only for programming ?

Thanks,
    Bean
  • Bean- Jeff Martin has been working on that functionality for the BlocklyProp client. As I've heard, that's almost ready, and might provide code to extend for other terminals.

David,
    Is there a way to send and receive characters to/from the Bagde WX with WiFi ?
    Something like Serial Terminal, but for the WiFi module ?
    Or is it only for programming ?

Thanks,
    Bean
    Actually, I think the wifi protocol is documented in the Parallax WX module documentation. You could just make a TCP/IP connection to the module and send it commands yourself. The protocol isn't very complicated.

• With the stock Parallax firmware, can't one telnet to the WX module's IP address on their PC, etc and it'd behave the same as if talking to a Prop board over hard-wired serial with PST/PropellerIDE Terminal (or at least, as close to the same as one's particular telnet client gets to PST). This is, of course, assuming DI/DO were tied to pins used in the program uploaded to the Prop. Thought for sure I've tried this with success, though I think I'm misunderstanding the conversation.

Cheers,
    Jesse
  • avsa242 wrote: »
    With the stock Parallax firmware, can't one telnet to the WX module's IP address on their PC, etc and it'd behave the same as if talking to a Prop board over hard-wired serial with PST/PropellerIDE Terminal (or at least, as close to the same as one's particular telnet client gets to PST). This is, of course, assuming DI/DO were tied to pins used in the program uploaded to the Prop. Thought for sure I've tried this with success, though I think I'm misunderstanding the conversation.

Cheers,
    Jesse
    Yes, that should work.

• avsa242 wrote: »
    With the stock Parallax firmware, can't one telnet to the WX module's IP address on their PC, etc and it'd behave the same as if talking to a Prop board over hard-wired serial with PST/PropellerIDE Terminal (or at least, as close to the same as one's particular telnet client gets to PST). This is, of course, assuming DI/DO were tied to pins used in the program uploaded to the Prop. Thought for sure I've tried this with success, though I think I'm misunderstanding the conversation.

Cheers,
    Jesse
    Oh, I see what you're saying. Maybe I misinterpreted the message I replied to. I was thinking the poster wanted to download code. That would require the WX API. If you just want to send serial data to the Propeller then the Telnet protocol should work.
    David,
    Thanks Telnet is what I was hoping for.
    Do you know off-hand what baud rate the Propeller will have to communicate at ?

Bean