Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 status - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

P2 status

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    potatohead wrote: »
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Do you all want to witness the P2 unboxing, assembly to a PCB, and initial check for life LIVE over the internet?

Ken Gracey

I do.

However, doing that can go anywhere too. Ranges from terrible to completely awesome!

A private stream might make sense.

Either way, it would be great to see.

We could do it live, whatever the outcome.

"The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ken,

I would be glued to such a live unboxing and test video. It would be intense. Hoping for the best outcome, fearing for the worst.

Some seem to worry that might be tempting fate. We should not trust in "fate". If the thing is going to fail it will have failed already, long before it get's unboxed. Such a disappointment, God forbid, will be the same disappointing whether it's done in private or streamed live.

• Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Do you all want to witness the P2 unboxing, assembly to a PCB, and initial check for life LIVE over the internet?

Ken Gracey

Definitely do at least a vid. Its the natural sequel to those live UPEW feeds (was it JohnR's good work?)

Live streaming of heart rates during the unboxing -- optional.
  • Ken, I would love to watch that.
    Perhaps set it up as one of those webinar things! Would be cool to have key folks like Peter and Cluso online to help with various tests/commands for the ROM stuff they wrote. I dunno how hard those are, if it's a pain, then a normal stream would be fine too.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    cgracey wrote: »
    We could do it live, whatever the outcome.
    "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."
    True, but if the part has passed OnSemi Vector testing, and passed your PinCell testing, that's getting quite high coverage.
    To actually get silicon in your hands needs quite a few flag-falls.
    Do OnSemi also test the RAMs ?

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    15% of the logic is built-in-self-test and scan-chain circuitry.

So, the memories have circuits attached which weren't part of our Verilog, but OnSemi added, in order to perform testing.
    Can I suggest not looking into the group webinar thing. Sounds like too much of messy distraction for Chip doing the work and those of us not in on the chat. Most such webinars I have seen have suffered terribly from poor sound and other annoying technical difficulties.

Perhaps just a live stream on Youtube. That has a textual chat facility so any remote experts can pitch in with advice if need be.

• Heater, the one that Parallax uses is pretty good. Someone else can manage it while the host just does his/her thing and talks.
    At least, that's the impression I get. It's not the Smile fest that is hangouts and what not.

Seems like they will need someone to manage the stream stuff, while Chip does the work of putting the chip/board/etc. together and testing. No matter which one they use.
    Over the past few years I have been on conference calls with our team members spread over the globe, England, Ireland, California, Scandinavia, Vietnam... These calls are generally really annoying and drive me nuts. A mess of garbled speech, dropped connections, extraneous noises from wherever people are, etc.

We have tried Webex, Skype, Zoom, others I don't remember. All with miserable results.

That experience puts me off the group webinar thing.

Perhaps there are better ways. I don't know.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Heater. wrote: »
    That experience puts me off the group webinar thing.

I don't think Chip was suggesting a 'group webinar thing' at all. Just a link, where people can watch. (This PC has no MIC, or camera, anyways...)

• I suggested the webinar thing that parallax has used in the past.

Heater, I think your issue is the intercontinental latency and other lag/dropped packet issues that come with that, not the webinar software. :P
    Streaming services work better because they distribute the servers around the world and have big backbones connecting those together.

Not really gonna get that kind of thing for small group meeting/chat/webinar software.
  • evanh wrote: »
    He's only wanting one or two individual chips to work with.

Jef,
    You probably should start by talking to Publison, assuming you're in USA, to get a sample board posted out - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168697/us-distribution-of-peters-p2d2-board/p1

Jef is in Europe and I am out of boards for the US. There may be a few in Europe by now.

Ken Gracey

Yes. YES WE DO Ken! :):):)
  • I would certainly watch such a livestream.

Mike R...
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Only an extreme emergency would keep me from watching that video stream.
  • I am with Chip. Air it. What comes, comes.

The more involved OnSemi process is hopeful. I believe good things will happen.

• don't need to be live, a video would do
  • Hi

Doubt if I will be able to see it in REAL time due to time differences etc but will definitely watch after the fact if its recorded.

Dave
    Oh, now that the idea is out there it has to be a live stream.

After all these years we want to share the experience in as near real-time as possible.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    msrobots wrote: »
    don't need to be live, a video would do

+ 1
  • Who was it who used to do a good job live streaming UPEW's - was it JohnR?
  • All we need now are the media/PR people from SpaceX to host/narrate the video stream :smiley:
  • edited 2018-08-28 22:06
    Do a video of the unboxing and the checks for signs of life and post it as a new topic in the forums no matter what the outcome.

That would satisfy everyones curiousity and not be such a distraction for Chip.

That, I would like to see.

SpaceX have a good video of some of their failures on youtube with the Monty Python theme music playing in the background.

Sandy
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    Almost feels like time to bring back Propeller Expo...
  • Do a video of the unboxing and the checks for signs of life and post it as a new topic in the forums no matter what the outcome.

That would satisfy everyones curiousity and not be such a distraction for Chip.
    Sandy

I think that sounds like a happy medium.

Tom Crawford

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Ken,
    YES PLEASE, LIVE IF POSSIBLE :)

Just a broadcast would be fine. ie no questions and answers. Chip, Peter and I could do a separate Skype chat that could be included in the broadcast if all goes well and we want to exercise the monitor and tachyon.

BTW We broadcast Live webinars monthly, and while I've been away we added another weekly broadcast. While there always seem to be some hiccups, we manage to get our broadcasts out live. FWIW We use Wirecast Pro and green screens, and AWS and WOWZA. Users login in using a browser. Usually they need to do a browser refresh a number of times during our hour of broadcast and we haven't resolved this problem yet.

Ken Gracey

YES !!!
    This would be Fantastic !!

J
  • cgracey wrote: »
    I forgot to add that we should test PeterJakacki's TAQOS and Cluso99's Monitor in ROM.

I recommend doing this as a quasi Introductory Tutorial on the Monitor and TAQOS.
    Show off the capabilities of each. It doesn't have to be super in-depth but definitely more than a "test".

J
  • Oh yeah...
    I would like at least one P2 board... possibly 2 when available :-)
    Just thought I would put that out there so you can start tallying numbers.
    J
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    Yes, pretty please ? recubierto de nata ?