Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 status - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 status

Comments

• Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2018-07-27 02:46
    re: @cgracey "we should be able to get some simple board out by Christmas - to you guys, anyway. The world will have to wait a few more weeks."

Cool !! :)
  • Hi Chip,

What would be the cost of getting my hands on one of those? I would be interested on a pre-production chip in its final form.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    samuell wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

What would be the cost of getting my hands on one of those? I would be interested on a pre-production chip in its final form.

Under $100 if we charged for it. Maybe you'd get it for free. All of you here have made contributions to the chip which are worth more than $100.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

Under $100 if we charged for it. Maybe you'd get it for free. All of you here have made contributions to the chip which are worth more than $100.
    That is very nice of you. However, I would be glad to pay for it, since in my case I did not made any contributions. Microelectronics is not my area at all, so I can't say or suggest anything. As for the others who contributed, that would be a nice gesture.

I think I'll wait for a production unit. They will be available perhaps may or June 2019, right?

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    cgracey wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

That's extremely generous of you. I would have been more than happy to pay $100 to have one to play with over the Christmas holidays.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

That's extremely generous of you. I would have been more than happy to pay $100 to have one to play with over the Christmas holidays.
    "Extremely generous" are words frequently used to describe Parallax!

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    David Betz wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

"Extremely generous" are words frequently used to describe Parallax!

Yes indeed. The world would be a better place if more organizations were to emulate the way Parallax operates.
  • So we are looking at a Spring 2019 release?

-8b
  • I hope not.... another year????
    So we are looking at a Spring 2019 release?

-8b

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    veluxllc wrote: »
    I hope not.... another year????
    So we are looking at a Spring 2019 release?

There are two hemispheres and thus two springs ;)

There are also many release milestones.. Rev A silicon, ( Rev B silicon ..) Production release, Production Volumes
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Here is the last notice we received from On Semi about the initial wafer run:
    Ship Tape (T-0) : 7/10/2018
    Ship Prototypes: 10/01/2018 Quantity: 10 Glob Tops
    Additional Prototypes 11/05/2018 Quantity: 100 Production Package

Looks like we are 10 weeks away from receiving initial prototypes.

I think they are accelerating the fab run, since things took a while on their end to wrap up and we fell behind the initial schedule.

5 more weeks to first silicon. :thumb:
  • oh man. I am waiting for this a long time. And I think I am not alone!
    I really need this one so badly for a project. For now, I am squeezing every clock and every bit out of P1. But it is just not big/fast enough.
    Is there any chance I can get 1 or 2 from the "first" batch? any price.
    I need to start production this year and getting more and more problems with defending my choice of controller to my boss. fingers crossed!
    edited 2018-08-26 23:32
    jef_vt wrote: »
    ... I need to start production this year and getting more and more problems with defending my choice of controller to my boss. fingers crossed!
    I would not bank production on P2 this year, but you can certainly road-map P2 into future products.
    I really need this one so badly for a project. For now, I am squeezing every clock and every bit out of P1. But it is just not big/fast enough.
    If your boss wants something 'to start production this year', you probably need an interim 'P1.5 solution' - ie add some sort of assistance to that P1, which sounds like is close ?
    There are many choices, depending on where 'it is just not big/fast enough', you could add another small MCU, or maybe a FPGA helper ?
    Then, that can migrate to P2.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-08-27 01:43
    oh man. I am waiting for this a long time. And I think I am not alone!
    I need to start production this year and getting more and more problems with defending my choice of controller to my boss. fingers crossed!

No way you can even think this, even if you could get 10 or 100 chips "this year", they still haven't been proven, that's why only a handful are being packaged. If those initial samples don't check out then it could be another year probably to find out what went wrong, to fix it, to simulate it etc, to do another sample run etc before we see the B version.

However, as for squeezing every clock and every bit out of the P1 I doubt that is the case since I get a lot out of the P1 with Ethernet and FAT32 and communications etc and I still have cogs left over.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    He's only wanting one or two individual chips to work with.

Jef,
    You probably should start by talking to Publison, assuming you're in USA, to get a sample board posted out - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168697/us-distribution-of-peters-p2d2-board/p1

• evanh wrote: »
    He's only wanting one or two individual chips to work with.

That won't "start production this year" in anyone's book. Even if you could somehow magically get enough stock the problem is that you need your first prototype tested and then hopefully a production version etc and that's assuming the P2 works first go as we are hoping.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Certainly not your problem. Schedules can move.

oh man. I am waiting for this a long time. And I think I am not alone!

We should be able to deliver boards to forum members soon, if the chip works.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2018-08-28 06:48

We should be able to deliver boards to forum members soon, if the chip works.

It sure will be great to see it up and running. I've got a real good feeling about this version . :)

• You guys need to make an 'unboxing' video of the glob arrival and testing.

We forumistas would probably pay good money to watch that.

Tubular wrote: »
    You guys need to make an 'unboxing' video of the glob arrival and testing.

Hmmmm...

Maybe we'll do that: Solder caps on P2D2, solder chip on P2D2, connect PropPlug to P2D2. Apply power. Run PNut.exe. Do ctrl-G to check for life. If okay, download an NTSC program, since only one pin is needed for display. Make current measurements on VDD and VIO's. Have some neat analog I/O demo ready.

Hehe yes, with a live audio feed too ;)

Hmmmm...

Maybe we'll do that: Solder caps on P2D2, solder chip on P2D2, connect PropPlug to P2D2. Apply power. Run PNut.exe. Do ctrl-G to check for life. If okay, download an NTSC program, since only one pin is needed for display. Make current measurements on VDD and VIO's. Have some neat analog I/O demo ready.

Do OnSemi do any testing on these first parts ?
    ie do you start with a part that has passed at least some probe tests ?
    edited 2018-08-28 05:07
    jmg wrote: »

Hmmmm...

Do OnSemi do any testing on these first parts ?
    ie do you start with a part that has passed at least some probe tests ?

These prototypes will have passed the OnSemi test program, which uses umpteen scan chains in TEST=high mode to run a bunch of patterns to assure that no defect in the digital core exists. I just finished an additional test program that they will (hopefully) incorporate into their overall test. I'll attach it. It was a tedious PAIN to write.
  • Do you all want to witness the P2 unboxing, assembly to a PCB, and initial check for life LIVE over the internet?

Ken Gracey
    edited 2018-08-28 05:26
    I forgot to add that we should test PeterJakacki's TAQOS and Cluso99's Monitor in ROM.
    edited 2018-08-28 05:32
    These prototypes will have passed the OnSemi test program, which uses umpteen scan chains in TEST=high mode to run a bunch of patterns to assure that no defect in the digital core exists.

Good :)
    I just finished an additional test program that they will (hopefully) incorporate into their overall test. I'll attach it. It was a tedious PAIN to write.

Some of those look to be quite tough analog tests ?
    Is their tester signal/noise (includes decoupling) going to be good enough for those sorts of tests ? (ie not give you false fails)

jmg wrote: »
    These prototypes will have passed the OnSemi test program, which uses umpteen scan chains in TEST=high mode to run a bunch of patterns to assure that no defect in the digital core exists.

Good :)
    I just finished an additional test program that they will (hopefully) incorporate into their overall test. I'll attach it. It was a tedious PAIN to write.

Some of those look to be quite tough analog tests ?
    Is their tester signal/noise (includes decoupling) going to be good enough for those sorts of tests ? (ie not give you false fails)

The tester adds 100pF of capacitance per pin, so I developed the tests using a 100pF load. I don't have a real chip, yet, so I used the latest test chip which provided two real I/O pins. I got that working and then recoded for 8 pins per cog (8 cogs run in parallel, testing 8 pins each).
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Do you all want to witness the P2 unboxing, assembly to a PCB, and initial check for life LIVE over the internet?

Ken Gracey

I do.

However, doing that can go anywhere too. Ranges from terrible to completely awesome!

A private stream might make sense.

Either way, it would be great to see.