Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to load a program into an independent Eeprom? — Parallax Forums

How to load a program into an independent Eeprom?

Hi, I have a question about loading my program into an Eeprom.

Knowing, I program in spin and I have 1000 Eeprom to program without propeller chips how may I do ?
Have I to convert my program in a particularity format ? If yes how can I do it ?

This programmation of Eeproms will be doing by a professionel, so what do I have to provide ?

If someone has a clue, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I would think the simplest method would be to use a Propeller board to download and program a single eeprom and then use that as a master that is copied to the rest of the eeproms. That presumes that the professional has a programmer that can read an existing eeprom and program that data into one or more blank eeproms, which should be common.
  • Not enough info. Are the eeproms already mounted on a pcb? Do you intend to put the eeprom in a jig with pogo pins or other adapter? If there is no prop then what is going on here?

One method I use is to have a small board with an eeprom set to an address one higher than the prop eeprom. I load a program in RAM on the prop which copies the data from the external eeprom as shown. Then just remove the external eeprom. Of course this means there is a prop and an eeprom on the board.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-08-22 16:45
    JChris wrote: »

Knowing, I program in spin and I have 1000 Eeprom to program without propeller chips how may I do ?
    Have I to convert my program in a particularity format ? If yes how can I do it ?

This programmation of Eeproms will be doing by a professionel, so what do I have to provide ?

If someone has a clue, I would appreciate it.

The question is, what does your Professional want you to provide?

You can do this yourself with an in expensive Programmer such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MiniPro-TL866CS-Universal-BIOS-Programmer-EEPROM-FLASH-8051-AVR-GAL-PIC-SPI-/263674955203

It will do the 32K an 64K EEPROM's used with the Propeller. It looks like it will do DIP and SMT versions.

The only caveat is you need one programmed EEPROM to copy to the others.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

Hmm... do you mean you have a PCB going into production, and you need to provide the production company enough info to do this ?

Normally, you provide an Intel Hex file format, and email that to them.
    That is a copy of want you want in the EEPROM.
    'a professionel' who does production, can manage from there.

What package are the EEPROMs and do they expect to program them before, or after, PCB mounting ?
  • Provide a propeller board with an adapter for the production devices. The prop would be programmed to read a master file, perhaps on another eeprom and simply write that to the production devices. You could add a couple of leds to indicate busy/good/bad and a program button. Keep it simple. I've done this before for production and field upgrades but normally i program the boards directly, not the chips, since they are smd.
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2018-08-23 15:10
    On the board you can put a 4 pin header but you really don’t even have to solder in the header. You can insert the header and hold it bent at an angle to program then remove it. Or a jig with pogo pins. But does this device ever need firmware updates? Then what?
  • If you're programming in Spin you can open your program with Propeller Tool, press F8, and then save the program image as an EEPROM file that you can load into a production programmer.
  • Ok thanks to all.
    This allowed me to better understand the procedures.
    I have seen with the profesional and he can copy an Eeprom and program all the others or I can give the image of the program as an Eeprom.