Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is there a path from STAMP controller to BoeBot? — Parallax Forums

Is there a path from STAMP controller to BoeBot?

We have several dozen STAMP controller boards. Is there a kit or a parts list that would allow us to convert these to BoeBots?
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2018-08-21 15:55
    What kind of Stamp controller boards? The ones marked as Board of Education are the controller for the BoeBot. There is a kit for making a BoeBot using a Board of Education. There is also a kit for using an Arduino Uno to make a BoeBot
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    With a bit of extra work, BS2 homework (HW) boards could also be used to make a BoeBot. HW boards have inline protection resistors, which might give slightly different results in the workbook exercises.
  • erco wrote: »
    With a bit of extra work, BS2 homework (HW) boards could also be used to make a BoeBot. HW boards have inline protection resistors, which might give slightly different results in the workbook exercises.

Hello!
    And can you expand on that one, erco? You said:
    erco wrote: »

How so? The boards themselves are the same basic shape, but the, ah, glue between the BoeBot and the control technology such as the servo attachment points isn't there.

I believe that with the help of this board on top of the breadboard on the HWB and some assorted break-away headers I would be able to replicate the servo connectors. Then there are the guts underneath it. Finally there's the power supply for the whole business.

But that's just my idea. Erco a suggestion on your part. Mike certainly your entitled to comment.

• Yes, I think the overlay board will help a lot. You can mount the headers for a couple of servos (like 3 ... two for the wheels and one for a PING servo maybe), a jack for a 2.1mm center pin plug for power, maybe a couple of additional electrolytic capacitors (1uF 16V and 100uF 16V) for power filters. The inline protection resistors shouldn't make any difference for servos or switches (like the whisker sensors). The kit to make a BoeBot from a Board of Education includes most of what you'll need. This kit includes a 4xAA battery holder for power (don't use a 9V battery for this).

Get one of the kits. I think you'll find that you can use the little breadboard to hold two double long male 0.1" breakaway pins for the servos. If you solder a 2.1mm power jack to the 9V battery clips, you can use the 2.1mm plug and 4xAA battery holder for power and unplug it when not in use.
  • mmuratet,

Are you by chance an educator since you have so many Stamp boards?
    Ditto what Mike said. The inline protection resistors won't affect much, except maybe eliminate the need for a series resistor on an LED. I just like the HW boards, they are a great value at $32 and cost less than a bare BS2 DIP module.

BTW, is this $29.95 seller for real?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    BTW, is this $29.95 seller for real?

Buy one, find out, and report back ;-)
    This hoarder has so many Stamps, I'll sell YOU one for $30! :)
    edited 2018-08-23 16:21
    The breakout board Buck mentions is certainly one way to do it, and the mods & connections Mike suggests (properly done) could certainly result in a neat-looking solution. Of course, brute force and plenty of breadboard wires could also yield a working solution. The BS2 manuals already show how to connect one servo with "flying connectors", or just breadboard wires. It would definitely be a rats nest of wires if you just use the 2" wires everywhere, but with proper color-coded, preformed wire links and a bit of soldering to a 3x3 or better header, a decent-looking breadboard could be made. I'll add that to my ever-lengthening to-do list.
    Is the OP still here?

Call me crazy but suddenly I want to make a mini robot just using a HW board as a chassis with 9g CR servos. Could still use the established Boebot curriculum.

That would be a nice kit for Parallax to sell for $75.

• And why not?
    Wasn't there a contest not too long ago regarding building a reasonably simple contraption that would be able to travel in roughly the same fashion as the original BoE Bot?

And would do so as simply as possible.