Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drone camera recommendation — Parallax Forums

Drone camera recommendation

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2018-08-04 19:28 in General Discussion
My son got a drone (not a toy, but not a good one either).
It came with a WiFi camera that loses connection after about 10 feet (worthless).

I just want something to record the flight, I don't need real-time images.

I thought about getting one of the car remote spy cameras. They are light enough but the video is really fuzzy. I guess it would be better than nothing.

I was hoping someone would know of something better. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I'm looking to spend up to $50 if the video is decent.

Thanks.

Bean

P.S. Here is what I was thinking of using https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-Car-Remote-Spy-Hidden-Secret-Video-Camera-Mini-Recorder-Camcorder-DVR/371472782080

Comments

• What's the weight limit?

-Phil
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    What's the weight limit?

-Phil

I'm not sure. The WiFi camera that came with is a couple ounces at least. I will measure it when I get to work on Monday.

Bean
  • The mobius mini is pretty good.
  • Okay. You suckered me in, erco. I just ordered two of them. This better be good. (But, seriously, at that price it really doesn't matter if it isn't. Chance well taken.)

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Sweet! Bet you'll be pleased, other than the typical Wifi FPV video lag of nearly a second. Video quality is great IMO, and control via phone is good, via onscreen joystick sliders or else by tilting the phone. But I'm old school, I still prefer a handheld remote with real joysticks.
    BTW here's an article I wrote for SERVO magazine in 2016: https://www.servomagazine.com/magazine/article/february2016_WiFiVideoCameras
    I ordered one of the new keychain video recorders.
    I'll let everyone know how it works.

Bean
  • erco wrote:
    Sweet! Bet you'll be pleased, other than the typical Wifi FPV video lag of nearly a second.
    I got my two yesterday and gave one to a friend who is eye-hand-coordination blessed. Even at 100% geezer mode, he's finding it challenging to fly.

I've been without a cell-phone for two weeks (should be getting a replacement "any day now"), so no luck there. 'Tried installing the app on my $39 RCA/Walmart Android pad. The app crashes. So I'll have to wait until my replacement cell phone arrives...

-Phil
    Erco,
    I ordered one of those CX-10 drones. The camera works well, but boy is it hard to control.
    I might attach the CX-10 to the big drone just to use it's camera.

Bean
    LOL well I lost the CX-10W. I had it pretty high and took my eyes off it for 5 seconds and lost it over a big field.

I used the keychain camera on the large drone (quad copter) and it works fine, but the video is upside-down because I needed to mount it so I could push the buttons.

Does anyone know of a program (hopefully free) than that can make an upside-down video right side up ?

Thanks

Bean
    edited 2018-08-20 15:54
    WOW! Young Ken bit at an erco deal with the Dark Side: free shipping! It will be interesting to hear your feedback.

@Bean: Bummer! Being easily lost is a definite downside to a tiny drone. I wonder if for outdoor flying (without flips/rolls), attaching a brightly colored streamer/ribbon underneath would make it easier to spot in a field.

@PhiPi: Sorry to hear you find it's challenging to fly. I'm no ace, but I think it's manageable, especially considering that:

1) tiny drones are not nearly as stable as bigger ones
    2) the phone controller (lacking the haptic feedback of a traditional joystick controller) takes some getting used to, and
    3) the video delay inherent in WiFi makes flying by camera image alone VERY difficult

My main point in posting here was that the WiFi video image is remarkably clear on this drone IMO, better than others I have tried.

Also, I had no trouble running the app on my RCA Voyager 7" tablet. IMO, the larger size gives better control than a small phone, in both joystick and tilt control modes. Curiously, I have tried several larger tablets (the RCA Galileo 11" and NAXA 10") and the gyro/accelerometer controls are 90 degrees off. Not switchable, so gyro/tilt control doesn't work properly. But that little 7" tablet does everything right.

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    I bit at erco's deal, too. Pic of new quad, just arrived, and a Readiboard plane I happened to throw together yesterday called The Fish. Designed by a high school student for his Aviation Club.

Note: The Fish is easier to fly. Maybe it's the joystick vs touch screen. Or maybe it's just lack of familiarity.

2247 x 1749 - 221K
  • Okay, I'm not a Cheerson drone owner and bit for this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cheerson-CX-10W-Mini-Wifi-FPV-With-Camera-2-4G-4CH-6Axis-LED-RC-Drone-Quadcopter/202392139113

In doing so, I broke my own rule first: don't support the FREE SHIPPING offer from China. Because this is not an offer from China at all - it's paid for by you, the taxpayer and the USPS's very poor mid-80's agreement with other countries to do the "last mile" carry of a package to our destinations for free. This wreck of a plan is subsidized by China on their end, supporting the handoff from the manufacturer to the USPS. Quite simply, it's now a flagship example of how the American government subsidizes competition against our own country. I have no idea why this issue hasn't been flown around on Twitter already.

I set my bias aside when I opened the package with some initial delight. After all, I've been around quadcopters and R/C for at least 35 yrs. Got it hooked up to my iPhone and flew it around the room.

The idea is good, but it's too much mass for such a small size. It can't easily change course and the video delay prevents true FPV. Throw in the short flight time and there's really not much sense in this product.

I want my $16 back. The problem is that it'll cost $16 to send it back to China. I want my time, my money, and my soul back.

@erco I still encourage you to post your on-line finds. Don't let me discourage you :).

Ken Gracey
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    For $16 I didn't expect anything more than a toy. Turns out the wifi camera works well enough that I may leave the tiny drone where it is...providing FPV for The Fish.

I'd also add to Ken's flight report that using the accelerometers in your smart phone delivers better results than using the simulated joy sticks.

Overall, it's really rather remarkable, even if it is still just a toy.
    K2 wrote: »
    Overall, it's really rather remarkable, even if it is still just a toy.

That's my take on it. It's a squirrely little flyer and the FPV delay is noticeable, but the video quality is excellent (my whole point in posting). It's worth $16 just for a stationary wifi camera.

Ken Gracey wrote: »
    @erco I still encourage you to post your on-line finds. Don't let me discourage you :).

Ken Gracey

Phew, I don't want to alienate my hero and boss man! :)

• I wouldn't want to either.

Besides, one of the stores where I buy most of my hardware, sells these drones by the Gigaton, and they also sell breakdown kits.

Oddly enough the Micro Center where I first got started buying stuff from them, (Yonkers one) also sells the same assortment of breakdown kits.