Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mimicking BS2 DEBUG with Propeller — Parallax Forums

Mimicking BS2 DEBUG with Propeller

AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
edited 2018-08-15 18:34 in General Discussion
Hello, I am looking to debug to MakerPlot with the Propeller(p1, that is). MakerPlot communicates with a BS2 via DEBUG, just like the PBASIC Editor's DEBUG window. How can this be mimicked using the Propeller?

Comments

• The BS2's DEBUG statement is just a SEROUT statement that accesses a "virtual" I/O pin #16 and has a fixed Baud ... 9600 I believe for the BS2, 19200 for the BS2px. Look at the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual chapter on the DEBUG statement.

You can use any of the Propeller serial I/O drivers to mimic this. Keep in mind that the Propeller's I/O pins are 3.3V logic levels while the Stamp I/O pins are 5V logic levels. MakerPlot runs on a PC and would need a USB to serial adapter for Stamp use. You'd just use a 3.3V USB to serial adapter for the Propeller ... like the ones built into most Propeller boards.
  • Thank you, Mike. What I gather is that I can just use a driver for the Parallax Serial LCDs and set it to use p30 or p31 as Tx(cannot remember which). Correct?
  • Hold up, how will the FTDI driver chip on the PropBOE affect this?
  • It won't. Connect your serial object (usually FullDuplexSerial) to pins 31 (RX) and 30 (TX) and the desired baud rate. You can't send compound output in a single line, but you'll be able to do anything you need to do.
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2018-08-15 20:59
    Thank you JonnyMac! I will begin putting together a .spin object to test a MakerPlot connection soon!
    Any idea on how to mimic "DEBUG CR"? This piece is critical to separate data entries.
  • pst.newline
  • DEBUG CR just sends a single carriage return character as if you had written SEROUT pin,...,[CR] with "..." being the appropriate stuff for SEROUT.

Use ser.tx(ser#CR) in Spin assuming you declare your FullDuplexSerial object as ser. Notice that FullDuplexSerial has constants for all of the special characters normally used with SEROUT or DEBUG.