Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Possible P2 Logos — Parallax Forums

Possible P2 Logos

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2018-07-28 15:25 in Propeller 2
Our graphics designer came up with some P2 logo ideas.

Currently, we are using a bold Eurostile font.

What do you all think of these new variations?

P2-Logos.png

Comments

• The row one, column three and row three, column two images were the ones that caught my eye. The former for its subtle, but still flashy look and the latter for its elegant simplicity. And maybe row two, column two, for honorable mention.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-07-28 17:28
    Question is, are these going to be silk screened or laser etched. Some may not show up so well under the different processes..
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    These would be for general marketing purposes. They could be adapted to a package marking.
  • Honestly, not a fan of any of those. I think just the simple bold font P2 from the other thread looked better.
  • Upper left.
    This is what we've currently got:

marking_visual.png
    2204 x 1942 - 210K
  • currently got looks good.

clean, modern, and simple to reproduce for most any application.
  • I like the one that already is in effect, the one in the upper left-hand corn and the one below it really catch my eye
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    cgracey wrote: »

What do you all think of these new variations?
    Hmm... some looks like ice-cream logos and some look like TV station logos, and the one with 'planets' has only 6 ?
    Nothing there really belongs on an Embedded Microcontroller.

The P2 itself does not signal much at all to the new reader, P2X may be better as a 'family name'

Google may direct someone to this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P2
  • Upper left.

John Abshier
  • The current proposed package logo looks good.

If there are concerns from a trademark perspective then I'd lean toward Row 1 Column 3, or a variant of Row 2 Column 1 that had eight orbiting blobs to better reflect a distinctive feature of the chip.

If the impetus is simply to go for something "stylish" or "interesting" I'd say no need for change from the current logo.

Regarding where Google may direct someone with a search:
    It didn't stop Blackview or Lenovo from naming processors P2.
  • Current P2 Parallax logo for the IC chip - simple, bold, memorable. Skip the cute, be professional. On the other hand for educational, and other, use the beanie Prop hat with variations, possible with a new "catch phrase" something-or-other. Take a hint from Uno, Nano, Beagle Bone, and others - but again not "cute". Thinking something neutral: Acorn, Eagle, Apple (already taken), Xerox, Pentax, XT, etc - One or 2 syllables, with an "X" would be great, or not!
  • My first thought was 'none of them". My next question was "which one do you like Chip?"
    One of the original logos i did had the P2 italicized with 4 stripes on either side to correspond to 8 cores. It was rejected as being "too gimmicky" by some but to me it looks a lot better than these latest toy offerings.
  • I like the current design. The Bold "P2" really stands out !

J
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-07-29 01:58
    BTW, here is a quick update on one of my original "logos". I would still need to make P2 as large as possible while balancing the image to form a logo.

P2LOGO-IRS-1.png
    or this one where I have converted the P2 and stripes to a metafile and stretched them etc.
    P2LOGO--IRS2-1.png
    176 x 175 - 25K
  • Row 1 Column 3
    edited 2018-07-29 02:38
    ke4pjw wrote: »
    Row 1 Column 3

You must use Tide!
    edited 2018-07-29 02:44
    cgracey wrote: »
    Row 1 Column 3

You must use Tide!

My first impression of that one was "washing powder" and I guess Tide sounds like a brand (not that I would know).

Slogan: "P2 turns the tide of the core wars with its eight powerful 32-bit guns trained on the target and a phalanx array of 64 rapid fire ports."
  • Hint: don't put 12 choices without label them 1-to-12 or A-to-L.
    decoding what columns row people referring to is to much work.

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2018-07-29 03:03
    I think Peter's one with the 8 lines would be good with the P2 part being bolder. If we had that then that would be my vote for best one.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I think Peter's one with the 8 lines would be good with the P2 part being bolder. If we had that then that would be my vote for best one.

Or maybe tweak those 8 lines more like '8 cores' - square them up, roughly as below ?

696 x 600 - 9K
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Row 1 Column 3

You must use Tide!

LOL, it does bear a resemblance! Maybe it's the 90's raver kid in me that likes it. That imagery was used in all of the flyers, streetwear, etc.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2018-07-29 05:45
    just stick with 'current', It is simple.

edit

I think in the last years stuff got 'hyped' way to much to satisfy a need not there.

Why make a swirly logo to impress people who never buy the chip? Does anybody here buys chips because the look - hmm - cool?

Instead of looking for nice logos it would be better to get toolchains running, SPIN2 finalized and Openspin/gcc/clang/blockly/Propbasic adapted for real user work on the P2.

Douglas Addams wrote something along the line that there was a problem re-inventing the wheel, because the involved people could not agree about the COLOR of the wheel.

sorry, but logos are the most less important things right now.

/edit

Mike
    edited 2018-07-29 06:03
    The trouble with using just "P2" is that it is not a logo, anyone can type 2 letters and "copy" your logo. Once you stylize it though, you have a logo that can be registered and protected. Now the problem is that we want "P2" to be big and bold but squeeze it up between other markings so we are restricted in what we can do. I've chosen the clearest simplest boldest way of doing so. The other logos will be hard to reproduce with clarity perhaps.

If we don't need to worry about part numbers and just concentrate on "P2" as a stand-alone logo then that changes everything. But trying to incorporate that logo as part of the chip markings may not look as good.

If Parallax really want the chip markings to stand-out on their boards they can always attach a nice shiny color label for that purpose, and perhaps make these labels available for a price for anyone else who wants to feature the logo. For OEMs who bury the chip inside a box it doesn't matter plus they can always attach a "P2 inside" sticker.
    edited 2018-07-29 06:57
    msrobots wrote: »
    ...sorry, but logos are the most less important things right now.

Mike

Agreed. Our graphic artist thought she'd try some new ideas, so I posted them here to get some responses. Personally, I'm not too passionate about changing from what we've got (which isn't much, but is fine).
  • cgracey wrote: »
    msrobots wrote: »
    ...sorry, but logos are the most less important things right now.

Mike

Agreed. Our graphic artist thought she'd try some new ideas, so I posted them here to get some responses. Personally, I'm not too passionate about changing from what we've got (which isn't much, but is fine).

I think you agree too easily Chip. Those who are busy on tools will be busy on them for sure and others will have time on their hands, but in regards to the matter of a logo I think this is important for Parallax. Before anyone knows anything about a chip about the only thing that will catch their eye is a "catchy" logo.

When I design a pcb I may include extras that may or may not be loaded and there is no difference in cost. So if it costs nothing, yet might be valuable, include it, you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Same goes for the logo. I find it hard to believe that a tool developer will not stop to eat or sleep or breath. There are other far less important personal things as well. Input on a logo is barely even worth mentioning in relation to those things.

So why put a cap on it, just let the logo horse have its head and see where it leads us.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,799
    The second row might work. It’s fun, but not too fun...

You know the propeller from a beanie hat could fit in there too. It’s long but thin... would add a hint of P1 fun...
  • I like the current design.
  • None. Keep what you got. Nothing improved over the original ideas.
  • Peter is right. This activity is a freebie. All upside, or at the least, no change.

To do a logo right, there needs to be some statements that position the product and that can drive, support the art.

Here are a few I thought of:

The engine in engineering.

[Made, designed, created] different for a reason.

Silicon with smarts.

Microcontroller beast edition.

...you all get the idea.

Now, I pretty much hate those, but put them here to stimulate discussion.

What phrases, words pop into your head when you think about this thing?

If we do this, or someone, somewhere does this, we will see relevant art. If not, we will see catchy art.

That, brutally, is how this works.

What say you?

(Had sketch pad out, drawing things, none of which seem sharable yet.)