Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 status — Parallax Forums

P2 status

Has there been a recent update on P2 status? I've been away for a few weeks and am not sure where to look for the most recent reports from Chip.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2018-07-23 21:50
    Good question, Tape-out must be nearly done ?

June 21 :CG " They're going to have some paperwork for me to sign on Friday and tape-in in will proceed on Monday.
    After DRC checks on the mask data, tape-out will happen and we will be on the way to getting chips built. I think it will take 15 weeks before we see chips."

July 11 CG : Today I signed off on the final tape-out release.

Not clear if that is the start of tape-out, or means tape-out was done, and masks then FAB time-slot come next ?
  • Sounds encouraging! Thanks for the update. It would really be nice if there were some standard place to look for these milestone announcements.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Sounds encouraging! Thanks for the update. It would really be nice if there were some standard place to look for these milestone announcements.

Click on "cgracey" and then comments or just click this link.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Sounds encouraging! Thanks for the update. It would really be nice if there were some standard place to look for these milestone announcements.

Yeah, I know you can do that. It just seems like a sticky thread with the current status would be easier.

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-07-23 23:59
    David Betz wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

Yeah, I know you can do that. It just seems like a sticky thread with the current status would be easier.

At my suggestion Chip added current status to the front page of his P2 document.
    It says "2018_07_09 Final Sign-off with On Semi, reticles being made"

Looks like he has been updating it too. It would be good to be able to see the daily status from On Semi, a bit like watching the status of the pizza you ordered :) (I want a slice of that pie!)
    At my suggestion Chip added current status to the front page of his P2 document.
    It says "2018_07_09 Final Sign-off with On Semi, reticles being made"

Good idea... but that's the google DOC, not the 'Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i' thread itself ?
    - Be nice to have that more visible thread link update too.

• Really, if we can't be bothered to look at Chip's P2 documentation, are we really that interested?

I checked the shared link to that document in another browser in a "private window" and it worked fine and no sign-in is required, so there should be no reason for not viewing it.
    Really, if we can't be bothered to look at Chip's P2 documentation, are we really that interested?

I checked the shared link to that document in another browser in a "private window" and it worked fine and no sign-in is required, so there should be no reason for not viewing it.

You and I know where that doc is, but look at the OP's question, and following comments.

The expectation is there is a forum visible update, which seems quite reasonable to me.

Not a link in an older thread, titled " - Updated 2 June 2018 " that links back on page 1, to a DOC actually updated 11 July ....

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2018-07-24 01:45
    Here is the last notice we received from On Semi about the initial wafer run:
    Ship Tape (T-0) : 7/10/2018
    Ship Prototypes: 10/01/2018 Quantity: 10 Glob Tops
    Additional Prototypes 11/05/2018 Quantity: 100 Production Package

Looks like we are 10 weeks away from receiving initial prototypes.

I think they are accelerating the fab run, since things took a while on their end to wrap up and we fell behind the initial schedule.
  • Chip,
    WOOOOOOOOT, so excited now! As heater would say it's going to be 'chipmas' this year!
    cgracey wrote: »

I think they are accelerating the fab run, since things took a while on their end to wrap up and we fell behind the initial schedule.

Cool !
    Google says that is ~69 days !!
  • cgracey wrote: »

Sounds great, how are they packaged then if they are glob tops as this is normally for COB or BGA protos? Since Amkor do the exposed pad tqfp and the P2 has all grounds connected to that pad, does that mean that Amkor does the packaging?
  • "cgracey wrote: »
    Fabulous! :)

• SWEET!

Oh man, after so long. It is SO hard to wait!

Sounds great, how are they packaged then if they are glob tops as this is normally for COB or BGA protos? Since Amkor do the exposed pad tqfp and the P2 has all grounds connected to that pad, does that mean that Amkor does the packaging?

The 10-piece prototype packaging will be done my On Semi. These will be chips whose packages were milled into to expose the die pad and leadframe contacts. The P2 dies will be wire bonded and a blob of some adhesive will be dropped on top to seal them. A month later we'll get the production samples from Amkor, which are the final form.
    Sounds great, how are they packaged then if they are glob tops as this is normally for COB or BGA protos?

I took '10 Glob Tops' to mean they are the standard E-PAD TQFP100 package, low-volume die bonded at OnSemi, but then left 'open top' with a glob over the die/bonding.

Not going to pass environmental tests, and not good for top-heatsinks, and maybe run slightly warmer... but great to answer "Is it working ? well enough ? " & to start an errata.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    potatohead wrote: »
    SWEET!

Oh man, after so long. It is SO hard to wait!
    Much easier with an enjoyable project to focus on. :)

The 10-piece prototype packaging will be done my On Semi. These will be chips whose packages were milled into to expose the die pad and leadframe contacts. The P2 dies will be wire bonded and a blob of some adhesive will be dropped on top to seal them. A month later we'll get the production samples from Amkor, which are the final form.

Perhaps they don't have to mill nothing from the package insides. I didn't found any open cavity products from Amkor, but Global Chip Materials does have a full line of them.

Not exactly the one P2 will use, in the sense that their 100-lead, 14x14 mm lqfp offering doesn't have a 9.5x9.5 mm exposed pad, but OnSemi has its own options at hand, for sure.

globalchipmaterials.com/visitors/products_visitors_acp_qfp.htm

As for the visual aspect of those 10 initial samples, unless OnSemi strives to give them some eye-catching look, by using a crystal clear resin for the glob-toping (UV-opaque, IR-transparent), it tends to be intriguing, but not as appealing as it could be.

https://dimadispensing.eu/dispensing/products/potting-and-glob-top/elite-dispenser-dr-061-for-glob-top

Polynesian black pearls? Astrophysics naked singularities? We'll see.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Roy,
    As heater would say it's going to be 'chipmas' this year!
    Indeed. Yay it's going to be Chipmas this year!

At least if you are lucky enough to get hold of one of the 110 prototypes coming out of the mill before Christmas. Expecting a production batch between 11/05/2018 and Christmas seems like a stretch to me.

Anyway. Yay Chipmas.

Wow! That's exciting news. Assuming the prototypes work how long until production chips?

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Chip said IIRC 7 or 8 wafers are being done by OnSemi. One is used by OnSemi, and one gets cut for the sample chips. If all goes well, the remaining wafers can be packaged giving around 1500 P2's. So we don't have to wait for production wafers to get a set of chips if everything is good. Fingers crossed guys ;)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    This all sounds great! Been a long time coming...

Hope it works. More power, pins and USB would be nice to have...
    Yes, there will be dice left over from the initial wafer run.

Once we approve the first prototypes and the production prototypes (in the final package), it's several weeks until production.

As Cluso99 said, there will be over 1,000 dice to package, though, so we should be able to get some simple board out by Christmas - to you guys, anyway. The world will have to wait a few more weeks.

Hopefully, it works!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    It's very motivating to me to hear about test chips being produced. Even if they don't work right the first time, at least Parallax is moving forward.

I think I'll have to break out my P123 again and test out that HyperRam.

Would be great to get 1080p graphics.
    edited 2018-07-25 21:10
    Rayman wrote: »
    I think I'll have to break out my P123 again and test out that HyperRam.
    Sounds great :)
    You might like to also get a couple of these IPS6404 2pcs $1.60
    https://www.electrodragon.com/product/2pcs-ipus-ips6404-iot-ram/
    AFAICT these are SO8 QSPI 'variants' of HyperRAM - they appear to be same PSRAM technology, ie refreshed DRAM, but are easier to physically handle. They should have similar refresh rules.
    Data is vague on refresh limits, but users report them working in place of Flash.

Yes, there will be dice left over from the initial wafer run.

Once we approve the first prototypes and the production prototypes (in the final package), it's several weeks until production.

As Cluso99 said, there will be over 1,000 dice to package, though, so we should be able to get some simple board out by Christmas - to you guys, anyway. The world will have to wait a few more weeks.

Hopefully, it works!

It's a Chipmas miracle! YAY! W00T! W00T! (Starts break dancing)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It's impossible.

There, that should do it.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    It's impossible.

There, that should do it.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D