Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 documentation - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

P2 documentation

Comments

• OK I GOT IT !!!

64 "Peripheral Cores"

Jason
  • It seems like calling the pins cores is a bad idea. While they are configurable they aren't really programmable are they?
  • thejthej Posts: 232
    edited 2018-06-23 20:03
    I think using "Core" is appropriate because they are hardware that operates independently of the processor cores.

It will also draw attention when people read; "8 Processor Cores and 64 Peripheral Cores".

I think this really does tell the story of what the P2 is in one sentence and draws them in to find out what the "Peripheral Cores" can do.

Jason
  • 8 Cores with 64 Multifunction SmartPins.
  • T Chap wrote: »
    8 Cores with 64 Multifunction SmartPins.
    That sounds better to me.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    David Betz wrote: »
    It seems like calling the pins cores is a bad idea. While they are configurable they aren't really programmable are they?

Good point. SiLabs and Microchip are adding what they call 'Configurable Logic Units', which can do simple 3-wire logic plus an optional FlipFlop.

P2 could use that existing terminology, and expand the Smart Pin as being 'a Configurable Pin Unit with 32b Counter/Timer/Shifting capability at the pin'
  • Configurable SmartPins
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2018-06-23 22:06
    Each smart pin has three 32-bit registers: X, Y, and Z (result). There is also a single flag bit result which can be written to C. That gives some indication of the smart pins' complexity.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Each smart pin has three 32-bit registers: X, Y, and Z (result). There is also a single flag bit result which can be written to C. That gives some indication of the smart pins' complexity.
    Cool! Let's see if Peter can write a Forth interpreter to run in a smart pin! :smile:

cgracey wrote: »

Those are the 'visible' registers. There are also Shifters/Counters 'hidden' behind those too I think ?

One of the best ways to document peripherals I've seen, is by equations.
  • It's more likely to become mainstream if you describe it in mainstream terms.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-06-23 23:00
    64 Smart Pins, each with three 32-bit registers: X, Y, and Z (result), and a single flag bit result which can be written to C (carry flag).

If nothing else, it creates intrigue to investigate further.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Each smart pin has three 32-bit registers: X, Y, and Z (result). There is also a single flag bit result which can be written to C..

No idea what that means. I’d rather see

Each smart pin has built in standalone functions:

PWM
    Counters
    Quadrature encoder
    Etc
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    T Chap wrote: »
    PWM
    Counters
    Quadrature encoder
    Etc

Yes, this is coming back to where Peter asked how to make the Prop2 fit into search criteria of the component suppliers. The Prop1 can do much but only as soft peripherals. This means it is not listed in the searches.

T Chap wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    Each smart pin has three 32-bit registers: X, Y, and Z (result). There is also a single flag bit result which can be written to C..

No idea what that means. I’d rather see

Each smart pin has built in standalone functions:

PWM
    Counters
    Quadrature encoder
    Etc

There are really three places where you place data sheet expansions

The first, is in the Features overview, where a single line is common , such as

Features:
    64 x Smart Pins : Configurable Pin Units with 32b Counter/Timer/Shifting capability at the pin

Then in the Smart Pin section you can say more

64 x Smart Pins : Configurable Pin Units with 32b Counter/Timer/Shifting capability at the pin
    Each smart pin unit can be configured for one of built in standalone functions, and attach to one of 4? nearby pins :

1..32b PWM
    32b Counters/Timers
    32b Quadrature encoder
    1..32b Shifter, UART and SPI
    32b Timing capture. Pulse Width, Period, ..?
    Two Pin units can combine for high precision/dynamic range Reciprocal Frequency Counting

and then the register/ user interface section can have the register details
    Smart Pin Configurable Pin Unit Software interface:

and here small, working code snippets will be clearest.
  • What's the purpose of the X, Y and Z registers? Are they independent of the PWM, Counters/Timers and other peripherals, or are they used to implement those features?
    edited 2018-06-24 00:12
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    What's the purpose of the X, Y and Z registers? Are they independent of the PWM, Counters/Timers and other peripherals, or are they used to implement those features?

They are the data passing registers of each Smartpin for operation and access. There's also the unlabelled mode register, so four registers in each Smartpin.

X and Y, both write only, are the dynamically adjustable parameters. Z, read only, is usually an accumulator of sorts and forms a result when read.

edited 2018-06-24 00:28
    The way smart pins work is by mux'ing the selected logic to the three 32-bit registers and pin signals. There is also a 16-bit set of registers that is involved in this.
    edited 2018-06-24 01:18
    Here's an example of transmitting UART data. I hope the comments help out with the curly details.
    ' Setup a pin to be used as a UART transmitter.
    '    Only has to be done once per power up if not being repurposed later on.
    '    %01 is to enable driving of the physical pin.
    '    %11110 configures the Smartpin to asynchronous transmit mode.
    		dirl    #tx_pin               'force Z to zero.  Smartpins don't really stop operating
    		wrpin   #%01_11110_0, #tx_pin   'set to async tx mode
    		wxpin   asynpar, #tx_pin      'set X with baudrate and framing config
    		dirh    #tx_pin               'release Z from zero

' Now transmit a byte (code is from used debug routines)
    putch
    		rqpin   temp1, #tx_pin  wc    'transmiting?  (read Z to see if actively shifting out)
    		testp   #tx_pin         wz    'buffer free?  (IN state shows Y buffer full status)
    if_nz_and_c	jmp     #putch                'wait while Smartpin is both full (nz) and transmitting (c)
    _ret_		wypin   char, #tx_pin         'write new byte to Y buffer

asynpar	long    (clock_freq * 8 / (baud_rate / 8) * 1024) | 7   '8N1 framing, (* 1024 is to left shift the baudrate by 10 bits so both the baud and framing bits sit in the same word)

EDIT: Had left out the "putch" label.

• OK, so the X, Y and Z registers are used to control the various configurable features of the smart pins. I don't understand why they need to be highlighted as features of the P2. They're just configuration and I/O registers. They are no different than the registers you would see in a USART chip, ADC/DAC or a DMA. The beauty of the smart pins is that all these features are combined into a dedicated chunk of logic for each pin.
    Chip,
    I can't quite remember the detail but there is a reason why I had to also check transmitting status in the putch routine rather than just buffer status. It's a first use problem where initial Smartpin config leaves the buffer-full flag set to wrong state.

I noted Cluso's solution was to always to send a null character out at init time.

It was something I didn't get my head around until quite late due to happily using bit-bashing for debug code. At the time I did solve it I thought the Prop2 was set in stone. I'd forgotten about this niggle when you actually were finalising it.

Dave Hein wrote: »
    OK, so the X, Y and Z registers are used to control the various configurable features of the smart pins. I don't understand why they need to be highlighted as features of the P2. They're just configuration and I/O registers. They are no different than the registers you would see in a USART chip, ADC/DAC or a DMA. The beauty of the smart pins is that all these features are combined into a dedicated chunk of logic for each pin.

Correct. Not a detail for datasheets nor brochures.

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    OK, so the X, Y and Z registers are used to control the various configurable features of the smart pins. I don't understand why they need to be highlighted as features of the P2. They're just configuration and I/O registers. They are no different than the registers you would see in a USART chip, ADC/DAC or a DMA. The beauty of the smart pins is that all these features are combined into a dedicated chunk of logic for each pin.

There are special instructions for manipulating these smartpin registers directly as they are not memory mapped like other kinds of registers. So the smartpins are not just lumped onto the P2 CPU, they are part of it. If I try to even just configure a peripheral in an ARM, it is a whole block of code to address the I/O base and load and store the configurations in all the different peripheral registers. That is, after I've spent a day reading the 16 pages just on that tiny part of the peripheral. P2 smartpins are tightly integrated with the P2 architecture, they are not a bolt-on cell that's mapped into it afterwards.

What I'd like to get across also is the fact that each one of these peripherals is not only independent and self-contained, but they are all equally accessible by any core, and that any pin can be assigned any of these functions independently without affecting any other pin. This is unheard of in the microcontroller world where a pin can have this or that peripheral signal but then this other pin must be this or that, and now you have lost this and that function, and so that's it.

The P2 and it's tightly integrated smartpins are like 64 independent configurable peripherals. I like to refer to the P2 smartpins as dedicated configurable peripheral per pin I/O but you have to be careful saying that to people, it could blow their minds.

The P2 is full of ideas that people who actually program came up with.
    I worry that people are tired of having their minds blown out, mainly from false alarms.
  • Actually, my original comment was based on misreading jmg's post. I thought he was highlighting the X, Y and Z registers under the list of features. After re-reading his comment I see that he was stating the opposite, and the description of the X, Y and Z registers should be put in an area of the spec that provides the details of operation.
  • thejthej Posts: 232
    edited 2018-06-24 03:45
    What I'd like to get across also is the fact that each one of these peripherals is not only independent and self-contained, but they are all equally accessible by any core, and that any pin can be assigned any of these functions independently without affecting any other pin. This is unheard of in the microcontroller world where a pin can have this or that peripheral signal but then this other pin must be this or that, and now you have lost this and that function, and so that's it.

The P2 and it's tightly integrated smartpins are like 64 independent configurable peripherals. I like to refer to the P2 smartpins as dedicated configurable peripheral per pin I/O but you have to be careful saying that to people, it could blow their minds.

...and this is EXACTLY why I suggest referring to them as CORES.
    The word CORES will grab peoples attention.

8 Microprocessor CORES with 64 Smart Pin CORES
    (or Peripheral CORES, or whatever...)

People NEED to have their minds blown a bit to entice them to investigate the P2. The description is accurate and people will see that (unlike many other marketing campaigns). There are no false alarms here.

Jason
  • CPLB - Configurable Peripheral Logic Block - it sounds enough like CPLD that people think of configurable logic but with the emphasis on Peripheral. But while it may be a "block" it really is dedicated to a single pin so CPLP doesn't roll off the tongue as well but CPLB port/pin may? If the description of a smartpin could be encapsulated into an easy to remember and apt acronym, it would make it a lot easier to get the idea across.

@thej - cores almost always evokes the thought of CPU cores, so it probably isn't a good idea to use this term.
    edited 2018-06-24 05:43
    evanh wrote: »
    It's a first use problem where initial Smartpin config leaves the buffer-full flag set to wrong state.

I noted Cluso's solution was to always to send a null character out at init time.

Chip,
    This needs to be noted for fix if any hardware revisions happen.

It's a first use problem where initial Smartpin config leaves the buffer-full flag set to wrong state.

Chip,
    This needs to be noted for fix if any hardware revisions happen.

I could have changed this a month ago, as I did look into it. It seemed to me, though, that there was no better way to do it. I know it doesn't look good.