Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 1 DIP(Interpreter Chip) Breadboard Development Environment - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 1 DIP(Interpreter Chip) Breadboard Development Environment

2»

Comments

• Yep.

The 3 pin adapter has the arrows on it and on the board.

Every time you use it you go 'I'll remember which way the arrows go.'

Next time you use you've forgotten it!

Nothing bad happens if you connect it wrong.It just doesn't work.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2018-05-02 21:16
    microcontrolleruser,

Since the data and control lines of the Parallel port were all controllable by a PC program, it was perfect for "bit-banging".

Bit-banging means that the program controls the port lines by turning bits in the port control registers on and off, literally banging on bits.

The Propeller uses bit-banging for I2C and serial since it doesn't have the hardware that PICs and AVRs (used by the Arduino) have.

• 'perfect for "bit-banging".'

Thanks for explaining that.Heard about it all these years.

Found the Stamp 1 adapter header on the Super Carrier board.

Don't remember using that board a lot.

Think it is on another board we used more.Don't have a regular Carrier board so I'm stumped right now.

• microcontrolleruser,

I don't know if your still playing with the BS1 but I came across this document which talks about an 8 or 16 MHz "Turbo" option.
    It states though that it can only be programmed at 4 MHz because it uses a Parallax BS1 interpreter chip.

https://www.seetron.com/archive/pdf/cft_mnl.pdf

• Genetix

Either going to order the BS1 DIP or the Stamp2 SX first.

Will eventually get both.

That Seetron is another tech madman.That is up a couple levels work he does.

Do you know if Stamp 1 will run at 1 khz?

Do you know if it will run from a Function Generator square wave?
  • microcontrolleruser,

The BS2sx was discontinued when all of the SX28s were used up.
  • Genetix wrote: »
    microcontrolleruser,

The BS2sx was discontinued when all of the SX28s were used up.

The Interpreter chip is still available:

https://www.parallax.com/product/pbasic2sx_p

That's where all the SX28's went to.

• 'That's where all the SX28's went to.'

Really?

So you can program them with SX key as an SX28?

• Parallax Support sent a couple documents after a lot of looking around.

Connecting a Stamp 1 is simple as all get out.

Going to pick one up and do that first.

Do Stamp 2 and 2SX after that.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2018-06-20 04:50
    I don't believe you can re-program the SX28 BS2sx interpreter chips. There's a 1-time fuse in one of the registers that prevents this and I think Parallax blows that fuse when it programs it with the interpreter code.
    Correction: Yes, you can reprogram these, but you can't make them back into BS2sx interpreters once that's done.

The BS1 PBasic interpreter is not designed to run with a 1KHz clock and may not work properly with anything but the 4MHz resonator.

The chip is a PIC16C56 from MicroChip. The datasheet does indicate that the rise/fall time of an external clock needs to be better than about 50ns. A function generator may not produce a square wave that's fast and clean enough.

• Thank you Mike

Will refer to these posts when connecting it up.

Stamp 1 is stone simple.

EEPROM and 3 pin Stamp 1 adapter connection.

'not designed to run with a 1KHz clock'

Pretty much moved the logic prototyping board to the back burner for now.

• Just made another contribution to the Propeller 2 Development Fund and bought a Stamp 1 DIP from Parallax.

That ought to make some Propeller proponents happy.

Phwww! Finally got a Stamp 1 DIP after all these years!

Optimistic it will Identify with just power and 3 pin Stamp 1 adapter connected.
    edited 2018-06-21 21:03
    It does need a 4MHz resonator and a bypass capacitor across the power supply. It has to time the Rx/Tx signal from/to the PC and the internal RC clock is not accurate or stable enough for that purpose. The bypass capacitor should be mounted physically close to the power pins on the DIP. Typically 0.1uF rated for 30 or 50V should do.

How about a pullup resistor for Reset? How about an EEPROM?

• Thank Mike

'need a 4MHz resonator'

Oops! Okay micro's don't run without timing.Okay.We will put a resonator on breadboard too.

' the internal RC clock'

You can pretty much figure the assembler code behind the PBasic has the Config line for external.

So it would just sit there without a resonator.

'bypass capacitor'

Okay.Was trying to slide by without one first time around but will stick one on there.

' pullup resistor for Reset?'

Parallax is big on reset buttons.It can be reset by powering off and on.Might add one later.

'How about an EEPROM? '

Yes.Yes.It will get an EEPROM after Identify test.

Just curious what it will do without one.

Might have the ones we bought a long time ago when Parallax was getting low on them.

edited 2018-06-21 23:01
    Normally Reset is tied to Vdd. See pages 21-23 of the datasheet for other suggestions. If Reset is just left floating, the device may not go through its reset sequence properly or may do it when unexpected due to noise on the Reset pin.

I'm not sure whether the microprocessor will hang up without the EEPROM. It may not do the identify thing without it. Have fun finding out.

• 'Normally Reset is tied to Vdd. See pages 21-23 of the datasheet'

That was big of you too look at a C device datasheet.

Not me! Way too distracting to me.

Have some lessons for C54.I am going to just figure they work on F54 with the obvious changes but if they don't.Tough!
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2018-07-09 19:25
    Keep in mind that the BS1 compiler thinks it has a 4MHz clock source -- if you change that you have to account for it in any code that is time time-based. If you change down to 1MHz, a PAUSE 10 statement will result in a 40ms delay.

A long time ago Scott Edwards made a little BS1-based SBC with 4- and 16-MHz resonators on it; this allowed the BS1 to run at 4x the speed when 16 was selected. For programming the BS1, 4MHz is required hence the ability to switch between the two sources.
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-07-10 04:26
    'Keep in mind that the BS1 compiler thinks it has a 4MHz clock source'

Got it.

'A long time ago Scott Edwards made a little BS1-based SBC'

Here's a little tidbit.You saying his name and him being good with the LCD's reminded me.

Looks like the only LCD using all 14 pins is the 2x8.Yet the old Parallax LCD had 14 pin cable.

So does the vintage one we're using.But it is a 2 x 16 only using 4 bits data.

:Point being. 14 cable seemed to be the default connection for awhile.

http://www.futurlec.com/LCDDisp.shtml

Look at the datasheets for a couple of them.

• Most character LCDs have 14 pins. Those with 16 pins have two extra for backlight power.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Most character LCDs have 14 pins. Those with 16 pins have two extra for backlight power.

Hello!
    Second the motion!
    I agree. I have an odd looking one from Sparkfun, it is odd because it using its connections in the classic IDC cable style one.

I normally use a serial in LCD display again from Sparkfun for some of my development work, it turns out they also make a board that does that and it'll work with those displays that you mentioned Jon.