Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Micro Laser Engraver $64 — Parallax Forums

Micro Laser Engraver $64

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
Tempting at just $64 on clearance. They call it mini, but I'd say micro since the print area is just 38mm x 38mm. Amazing that they can sell a complete unit (not a kit AFAIK) at that price. Start your own keychain business! Make custom robot hubcaps!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/neje-jz-5-500mw-usb-diy-engraver-printer.html

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-06-08 19:39
    erco wrote: »
    Tempting at just $64 on clearance. They call it mini, but I'd say micro since the print area is just 38mm x 38mm. Amazing that they can sell a complete unit (not a kit AFAIK) at that price. Start your own keychain business! Make custom robot hubcaps!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/neje-jz-5-500mw-usb-diy-engraver-printer.html
    However it is not suitable for engraving metal, aluminum or acrylic.

(Isn't Aluminium metal?)
    At ~1000 grams, doesn't even make a good boat anchor. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    But you could make (engrave) a good boat anchor image on a tiny part.

Provided it isn't metal, aluminum or acrylic. :)

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-06-08 23:15
    They include laser-block glasses, but I cringe at the safety issues with this little unit. It's not just the laser light (blue instead of IR), but also the unvented fumes. But I guess if people can be trained not to look at the sun during an eclipse (with one notable exception), they can remember to don their safety glasses and not inhale the fumes.

-Phil
  • I'm thinking of getting one of these to engrave on sticks of chewing gum. I'm serious.
  • Mmmmm! Smoked chicle fumes! :)

-P.
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to engrave on sticks of chewing gum. I'm serious.

Very cool idea! Would be a neat promo item, except for handling (AKA tampering) with the sealed sticks of gum.
    My girls could engrave my photo on the cookies they sell!