Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MS buys Github. It's time to move on. - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

MS buys Github. It's time to move on.

2»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    What does that mean?

Git and Github are two very different things things.

Git is a distributed source code management system.

Github is a web site.

Github needs git, git does not need Github.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2018-06-06 07:35
    > Github needs git, git does not need Github.

Exactly. MS has used Git internally for their development for years. It has nothing to do with github. They don't need github for what they do. So there's no technical reason for taking over github. What, then, are the *real* reasons? Not technical, so it must be for something else. And that's the problem here.
    Tor,
    What, then, are the *real* reasons? Not technical, so it must be for something else.
    Bingo. I think you will see the real reason if you read this article from the Economist:
    https://www.economist.com/business/2018/06/02/american-tech-giants-are-making-life-tough-for-startups
  • That's what I think too. If so, they are very highly likely to leave it alone.

Saw this kind of thing in CAD. The biggest customer basically bought the CAD company, said it's not their business, and it hasn't been. They did leave it largely alone. The CAD business did benefit from now basically earning it's own dog food.

Microsoft may well benefit from GitHub doing what it does well in a similar fashion.

Yes, they might leave it alone. But my take on the article is this:

If you are huge tech giant like MS, Google, Facebook, then you keep an eye on any potential competitors that may emerge, or new technologies that you can make use of.

When you see such a thing on the horizon, in the "kill zone" what do you do? A few options come to mind:

1) By that new startup, or back it so that you effectively own it. So that your competitors don't get it and it does not become your competitor.

2) Rush to create or acquire something similar and put it to market, thus killing the new kid on the block. Think Internet Explorer vs Netscape and the examples in the article.

3) Whilst you are doing 2) you might want to higher the devs of the start up in the kill zone huge, offering them huge salaries to come over and help you. Thus killing the new kid on the block.

Now, how do you keep track of these things? How do you find all those hot new devs and what they are up to? From their activity on the internet of course. On sites like Linkedin or Github.

Wouldn't that be much easier if you owned those sites? Then it would be easier to strip mine all that information.

Oh wait, look what happened. MS buys Linkedin, github, skype already.

• Heater. wrote: »
    Oh wait, look what happened. MS buys Linkedin, github, skype already.

Well then, you might want to make yourself open for some real true American tech-giant employment! Get that LinkedIn page brought current quickly, Heater! Make sure your Facebook page is devoid of anything but fun-loving photos of yourself at a Hackathon. Be sure you post some pictures of yourself drinking a latte and eating some avocado toast, too.

Ken Gracey

• Ken,
    LMAO
    Humpf... Sometimes I think you guys don't take me seriously.

:)

• yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2018-06-07 11:32
    Heater. wrote: »

The pond looks different from within!
    Maybe $THEY cannot understand...

Edit@20180607-1132-GMT:
    Found in the EEVblog forum.
    Smile!

• Heater. wrote: »

naah.

we just want the old @Heater. back, before he came over here, visiting the US of A.

Not sure what happened down there in California, they may have made some GIT-clone from him and keep the real @Heater. in a dark Dungeon near San Jose.

Now he not just has a Microsoft Surface whatever with W10 on it, uses and PRAISES a MS editor and even THINKS like a good MS employee.

do we need to find, free and rescue the real @Heater. ?

worried,

Mike
  • Can we add some more wood to this fire? Jim Zemlin, the Executive Director at The Linux Foundation, has good things to say about the acquisition:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/microsoft-buys-github-the-linux-foundations-reaction/
  • msrobots wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »

naah.

we just want the old @Heater. back, before he came over here, visiting the US of A.

Not sure what happened down there in California, they may have made some GIT-clone from him and keep the real @Heater. in a dark Dungeon near San Jose.

Now he not just has a Microsoft Surface whatever with W10 on it, uses and PRAISES a MS editor and even THINKS like a good MS employee.

do we need to find, free and rescue the real @Heater. ?

worried,

Mike

Worse then that. The real heater finally burned out. This is his clone, a backup twin brother. But with several manufacturing defects embedded. But still glows all the time like a 50W light bulb. Or worse, burns with the smell of paraffin, or what we call kerosene. (Also used as lamp fuel here.)
    DavidZemon,
    Jim Zemlin, the Executive Director at The Linux Foundation, has good things to say about the acquisition:
    I wonder why that might be? It would not be that MS is a platinum member of the Linux Foundation and hence donates a minimum of $500,000 per year. Would it?

http://bgr.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-linux-foundation-2016-donation/