Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wakeup Lamp — Parallax Forums

Wakeup Lamp

Coder96Coder96 Posts: 42
edited 2018-06-05 17:42 in Customer Projects
Project: Make a light to slowly bring the brightness up in the room.

The flip module at the core. Used some RGBW light strips. Made a simple animation format. That is read from a SD card.

fWoydV.jpg
O0zXcS.jpg

I have a more detailed write up at hackster.io

The code is at github.

Comments

• Tried to watch your video but just get an error on utube link.
    Jim
  • Edited the link. Should work now.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Thats a lot of WS2812B modules :cool: I wasn't able to see the write up but still looks cool in the video. It it on a timer or motion? How much current is that pulling? I have a project thats using 8x WS2812B, and I was surprised how much power those things can use at full brightness.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Great project! Thanks for sharing this with us - my son would like this sort of alarm!
  • I have a bit home automation setup so I use that for the timer. As soon as the lamp gets power the animation starts.

It has 288 WS2812B modules. Setup in 16 columns and 18 rows. Then I have them fused in groups of four columns. At full brightness with RGBW all on, that pulls 2.9 amps DC at 5V. Haven't measured the total AC pull yet.

Anyone have good tricks for filming leds? With the cover on after so many lights come on. It just picks up the white of the cover.
  • Coder96,

Reminds me of a Star Trek warp core.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2018-08-02 06:09
    Coder96 wrote: »
    It has 288 WS2812B modules. Setup in 16 columns and 18 rows. Then I have them fused in groups of four columns. At full brightness with RGBW all on, that pulls 2.9 amps DC at 5V. Haven't measured the total AC pull yet.

Well that is still just a bit, only about 15W for the whole thing, a lot more efficient than a regular light, and looks better.