Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The time for the P2 is now! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

The time for the P2 is now!

2»

Comments

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    At some point Parallax needs to fund a GCC project for the P2 like they did for the P1. I think C/C++ is essential for the P2 to be a success.
    Yes, Parallax needs to get behind a GCC project for P2 and they need to realize that continued support is required as well. It isn't good enough to just get it working and leave it on autopilot from then on.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    David Betz wrote: »
    It's unfortunate because there was a fair amount of enthusiasm for improving PropGCC at the start. The trouble is, none of the more recent work ever found its way into an official release. I think Parallax should consider that when planning GCC for P2. It isn't enough to just get it working. It has to be supported and continually improved.

Valid point. Of course, Parallax is not alone in the 'pipeline effect'...

samuell wrote: »
    I agree that the Arduino is fine for beginners. However, it is only useful as a stepping stone. I cringe when I see a "serious" project that has an Arduino in it. This is not learning electronics as much at it is not learning how to program. I used to do my programming in Euphoria, until I've discovered that C was not hard at all. In that sense, I really encourage people to leave Arduino behind and start programming micro-controllers.

That makes no sense, give the Ardunio MCU is a microcontroller ?

If you look at the newest boards like
    https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-uno-wifi-rev2
    That actually has multiple microcontrollers, but some are just to make the task easier, like the USB bridge MCU.
    The Mega32U4 allows eDEBUG support, so this newest Ardunio will be able to single step and break, just like vendors Eval boards!!

Maybe not quite as much connectivity and speed as the ATMEGA4809 XPLAINED PRO EVAL BRD, (HS-USB bridge) but close. (and hopefully cheaper)

If someone just wants a breakout board, with a bootloader MCU, there are also module choices here :
    http://www.electrodragon.com/product-category/arduino-2/avr_pic_51/
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    don't we expect a P2duino?

P2 on a Arduino compatible board ?

1000s of shields around working immediately?

@"Bill Henning" ???
  • jmg wrote: »
    I agree that the Arduino is fine for beginners. However, it is only useful as a stepping stone. I cringe when I see a "serious" project that has an Arduino in it. This is not learning electronics as much at it is not learning how to program. I used to do my programming in Euphoria, until I've discovered that C was not hard at all. In that sense, I really encourage people to leave Arduino behind and start programming micro-controllers.

That makes no sense, give the Ardunio MCU is a microcontroller ?

If you look at the newest boards like
    https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-uno-wifi-rev2
    That actually has multiple microcontrollers, but some are just to make the task easier, like the USB bridge MCU.
    The Mega32U4 allows eDEBUG support, so this newest Ardunio will be able to single step and break, just like vendors Eval boards!!

Maybe not quite as much connectivity and speed as the ATMEGA4809 XPLAINED PRO EVAL BRD, (HS-USB bridge) but close. (and hopefully cheaper)

If someone just wants a breakout board, with a bootloader MCU, there are also module choices here :
    http://www.electrodragon.com/product-category/arduino-2/avr_pic_51/

Makes perfect sense to me. Mind that, in the Arduino environment, you don't have to worry about all the intricacies, like setting the pin directions and such. Of course Arduino has a micro-controller in it, and I know that in many cases it is an Atmel with a bootloader loaded on it. That facilitates the programming, of course, but at the cost of flexibility. If people dedicated themselves to programming micro-controllers and doing their own boards, instead of slapping an Arduino to a relay shield and call that a project, the world of
    electronics would be a richer, more diverse place.

Anyways, I couldn't case less about Arduinos. They are not relevant. Electronics is much more than Arduinos, as well as open source is much more than GitHub (sorry for my additional, uncalled for, rant).
    MJB wrote: »

@"Bill Henning" ???

Don't oppose to that, as long as I get a P2 myself to to other things. I'm thinking about doing instrumentation.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
    MJB wrote: »

Someone may well do one. One wrinkle to watch for there is, Ardunio shields are often 5V, but P2 is not 5V tolerant.

Probably a better fit is system that is already 3V - so examples are
    A Raspberry Pi Zero PCB form factor/Connector ?
    Or, BBC micro:bit, which has an established edge connector ?

Makes perfect sense to me. Mind that, in the Arduino environment, you don't have to worry about all the intricacies, like setting the pin directions and such. Of course Arduino has a micro-controller in it, and I know that in many cases it is an Atmel with a bootloader loaded on it. That facilitates the programming, of course, but at the cost of flexibility. If people dedicated themselves to programming micro-controllers and doing their own boards, instead of slapping an Arduino to a relay shield and call that a project, the world of
    electronics would be a richer, more diverse place.

Did you look closely at the new Ardunio I linked to ?
    That has a mEDBG MCU, which means a full blown AVR studio can give Single Step debug to that microcontroller. There is no flash bootloader needed anymore.
    This merges the lands of Vendor Eval Boards, with Proper Debug, and the Ardunio (which was somewhat lagging behind in that area)

Any serious P2 board is going to need to think carefully about that Proper Debug support angle.
  • ...maybe move this thread to one of the P1/P2 categories?
  • davejames wrote: »
    ...maybe move this thread to one of the P1/P2 categories?

Weird. Coulda sworn I selected P2. Yes, please move.
  • Moved to P2 category.