Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone tried Routaboard? — Parallax Forums

Anyone tried Routaboard?

Comments

• That looks like a really useful hole and trace pattern! The prices seem reasonable, but they're in pounds Sterling. So shipping to the States could be expensive.

-Phil
  • Just looked it up, may be a handy way to try something out. The price for a 40^2 array is about 3.50GBP and another 3GBP for shipping. Does not seem to specify restrictions on where ship to is. On the down side, the software is windows only so that means switching between systems to use it. Tempting to try it out though.
  • I'll have to look at the software again. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do that one couldn't do by sight.

-Phil
  • meh, may have jumped at this too soon. Ordered the 40^2 array. $%$#% There is in the software a top side for a doubleside version not yet listed in the available products. top side is what you see, bottom is buss bar layout. personally, I would rather have that reversed. buss bars on top, otherwise to much chance of having a component overlapping a needed solder point. Solution is simply flip the board.

Software, looks like an enhanced grid pad with the routaboard overlaying it. can put some pretty dip outlines, but you still get to plan and route connections by hand.

Cost via paypal came out to $9.11 USD. Standard shipping whatever that is. Had good luck when ordering from Mikroelectronica in Hungary (I think they are from there) as well as some TI dev kits from there as well so shipping from GB should not be worse than that. We shall see.
  • I downloaded the software and played with it for a few minutes, using a fairly simple project that I recently prototyped.

Neat concept, but on a one-sided board you're still going to have jumper wires for anything other than very simple circuits, since you can't cross circuit paths. With the two-sided board and buss bars you might be able to get around this, not sure.

Not near enough component types (no connectors, transistors (really?) or diodes, although you could substitute a resistor for the latter) and you can't rotate them.

Apparently the only way to display an existing trace is to click on it. You can see the red connection dots, but not the traces themselves. A means of showing each trace in a different color would be much more useful for me.

I'll wait for the verdict from the early adapters before I order any boards.

Again, a neat concept, but the software is lacking.
  • Well, the thing came today. Actually had forgotten about it and was hoping it was my LM331s and a couple other goodies. I would have been happier, or at least a lititle more impressed. Anyway:

1. The thing came from China;the customs label stating as PCB, GIFT, AND MFR sample. Did they miss any other options?
    2. Solder mask is a really dark blue-gray, almost impossible to see where the traces go. On top of that, they tinned every pad on the bottom making it even harder to identify the connections.

Not ready for prime time. To make more ready, use lightest solder mask and don't tin everything.....

Frank
  • Thanks Frank :)
  • Just looked it over again, trying to make space/roundfile stuff from the desktop. This may have had a chance if the mask would have been light or clear in color, but close look shows the glob job of solder on most of the points was poorly done, and I suspect you could end up chasing some really obscure short problems. Wish they did not do that. better to have been able to put a spot of zeph past on the spots and use either my finest point or a hot air tool to melt the spots I wanted solder on. Not yet dropped it into the round file yet, but it seems headed to the "not likely to see the light of day except in passing" box in the garage.
  • Frank, is the board you received as poor in quality as the one on the website header graphic? That was what caught my eye first with this. Overall, the idea is clever, but as mentioned, you really need a clean doublesided version with soldermask that doesn't hid the underlaying copper. It would be really simple to replicate this in an improved fashion.
    I saw something similar a few years ago that was an attempt at the same concept. The "cells" were not as complex as this one, but it did allow for customization to help reduce the amount of jumper wires, trace cuts, etc.