Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA driver & app for BLOCKLY PROP — Parallax Forums

VGA driver & app for BLOCKLY PROP

Perusing the forums and on-line, I did not find anything on using a VGA driver with BLOCKLY PROP. Has anyone tried this, is there an OBEX somewhere that I missed? Barring that, is there a work around that I can try that will allow me to use VGA functions in a BLOCKLY program?

Comments

• No VGA drivers that I know of. Most are simple serial protocols. I have not heard of anyone working on VGA.

408 x 400 - 118K
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-05-21 01:03
    Seeing that Tachyon has VGA built-in along with FAT32 and all kinds of device drivers and ping/sensors/RTC/keypads/displays/pwm etc in a standard Prop, it is a shame that Blocky doesn't compile to Tachyon source code. It would open up a whole new world for the P1 and Blockly as to what could be done with very little effort. I mean Block code that says "12 HIGH" or "12 LOW" is actually what the source looks like in Tachyon but pause(1000) is actually "1 s" or "1000 ms" :)

Actually you can even type "#PIN12 LOW" and that works too
  • I believe it may be possible to apply for a new block. Chip or someone else said that the C code would need to be submitted as well, so you would have to find a C language VGA driver to submit as block code(or write your own!).
  • It's entirely possible because we have this as a starting point https://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/propeller-c-simple-devices/vga-text-display

Please go to https://github.com/parallaxinc/BlocklyProp/issues and submit a request. We're making monthly BlocklyProp updates this summer.

Ken Gracey
  • This is on my wish list, but I was hoping to go beyond what's in the c library for VGA...if I knew enough about PASM/SPIN to make the c VGA library awesomer...

Anyone want to take that on? Even if it was low res - it would be great if I could get pixel-level access to the VGA/NTSC stuff, because then I could easily make OLED-like blocks for them.