Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Under $35 Stamp2PX Board-Breadboard Ready — Parallax Forums

Under $35 Stamp2PX Board-Breadboard Ready

microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
edited 2018-05-07 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
Here are the parts for it.

https://www.parallax.com/product/pbasic48w_px24

Schmartboard to solder it to.

http://schmartboard.com/schmartboard-ez-5mm-pitch-48-pin-qfp-qfn-to-dip-adapter-204-0014-01/

Now the best part! Soldering service for $6 at Schmartboard to professional solder it together!

http://schmartboard.com/ic-hand-soldering-service-100-0001-01/

Will follow up on all this and update here.

Comments

• What about the short lead lengths needed between the SX package and the resonator and between the power supply bypass capacitors and the SX?

• Got that covered.

We will all think happy thoughts that it will work with jumper wires.

Positive mental attitude.Right?
  • Like hiring a cousin of Maxwell's demon to short all noise pulses to ground while letting the signals through

• Here's a picture of a 'complete' Stamp.

Keep in mind this project is for a 'breakout' board.

Extra parts needed are on the breadboard connected with jumper wires.

This project all you will see is the PX on there.

ET%20PIC%20Stamp%2018F8722.jpg
    300 x 177 - 43K

• Mr Green

Parallax Support gave this the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval'.

That's good enough for me.

Will deal with short jumpers and cap's at build time.
  • "at build time" ... poor engineering practice ... you have to design for reliability ... also true for software

"Seal of Approval" ... Not a Parallax product ... Parallax is busy enough supporting their own products
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-05-07 21:49
    Moving along here.

If somebody wants to get deluxe about this.

It can be soldered to a square breakout board that fits in a socket.

http://schmartboard.com/schmartboard-ez-qfp-32-100-pins-0-5mm-pitch-2-x-2-grid-202-0011-01/

That goes on a soldered proto board you make yourself.

Schmartboard also has breakout board they made for Parallax Propeller for the Propeller crowd.

Forgot to add.They have great attitude at Schmartboard.

• microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-05-07 21:42
    '"at build time" ... poor engineering practice ... you have to design for reliability ... also true for software'

Welcome to the world of 'run and gun' electronics.Action hero stuff.

• Square breakout board socketed.

Schmartboard%20Square%20Stamp2PX.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 865K
  • Hello!
    It happens I've looked at those boards. All at Micro Center. I also snagged several for mounting to any of them specific parts that I have who'er only available in SMT/SMD forms. (SMT= Surface Mount Technology / SMD = Surface Mount Device) but until I realized that the boards came with solder already present I kept putting it off.

For example the packing density on some of the specialty logic that TI does indeed still make are only available in that format and it would presuppose that they were not hobbyist friendly. Those boards are almost close to that.

So it is a good idea and definitely a good start.
  • For reference, about a year ago, I did a budgetary cost analysis on a build of 100 BS2PX boards based upon my own design that very closely resembles the official BS2PX because a colleague had asked about ways to lower the cost of a board he had designed around the 2PX. With buying the 2PX chip from Parallax and all other parts from standard distributors, the total part cost for a build of 100 would be around $1500. Add in some assembly costs and NREs, like a stencil, this brings the total up around $2,300.
    So, if you were to design an actual BS2PX equivalent PCB, you could make them for around $23 each when you do 100 at a time.

To go a step further, I costed out building just 3 using OSHPark for the fabs and handsoldering the entire board. The price came out around $60 each.

• 'So it is a good idea and definitely a good start.'

Thank you.

'but until I realized that the boards came with solder already present I kept putting it off.'

If you post your project about doing that I'm fairly sure you would get help with it here.

WBA

Sure sounds like consulting firm thinking to me!

This 'method' described here is can be done one at a time.

That is for anyone contemplating doing it themselves.

• 'So it is a good idea and definitely a good start.'

Thank you.

'but until I realized that the boards came with solder already present I kept putting it off.'

If you post your project about doing that I'm fairly sure you would get help with it here.

WBA

Sure sounds like consulting firm thinking to me!

This 'method' described here is can be done one at a time.

That is for anyone contemplating doing it themselves.

Hello!
    Oh yes. I also looked at using them for making up a single for the Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor One-Wire stuff, it would be the line driver technology chip for it. And after convincing those characters to send me one pair, and the next problem was convincing who I was building the prototype for... Well it was a fast run all around.

Now I have them here for the next series of reasons, presumably good ones.

My only concern with this line of reasoning was why that thing, and then I realized what it was and then I grokked to it perfectly.
    (The word grok comes from the Martians of Robert A. Heinlien's famous book "Stranger in a Strange Land".)

• Buck

Get back to you about 12C.

Schmartboard can fix you up with a SX48 breakout board soldered too.

https://www.parallax.com/product/sx48bd-g
  • Buck

Get back to you about 12C.

Schmartboard can fix you up with a SX48 breakout board soldered too.

https://www.parallax.com/product/sx48bd-g
    You'd have to send them the interpreter chips from Parallax. Will they do that or do they like to source their own chips?

• SchmartBoard wants you to supply the parts and make sure they're packaged properly since they won't be responsible for them. Read their description of the service.
  • Mike Green wrote: »
    SchmartBoard wants you to supply the parts and make sure they're packaged properly since they won't be responsible for them. Read their description of the service.
    Ah, well I guess supplying Parallax SX parts that already contain the interpreter won't be a problem then.

• 'You'd have to send them the interpreter chips from Parallax. Will they do that or do they like to source their own chips?'

I am sending over 3 or 4 SX's.

I will ask him if he can throw them up on the shelf for awhile.

If anybody wants one PM me and I'll give you a one time password.

Put a dollar on the desk at Parallax for their Friday employee barbecue lunch.