Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why I have never and will never buy an Apple product... "Right to repair" — Parallax Forums

Why I have never and will never buy an Apple product... "Right to repair"

Apple has been pulling this sh....stuff since at least 1990 when I was in computer repair.

Bean

Comments

• The first third of the video is good, then he goes off the rails.

I haven't followed this closely but my take is that the shipment of repaired screens from China were indistinguishable from OEM product (probably intentionally), and either not marked as refurbished or not adequately marked. A laser, paint marker, or chemical etchant could remove the logo, but it needs to be done before export from China. They aren't likely to do that any time soon. They'll sell the refurbished parts as genuine for as long as they can.

This is not to say Apple isn't inviting this problem by imprinting their logo on every screw and piece of plastic. That sounds very much like them, and is yet another reason not to buy their products.

• I like apple I've done my own screen replace iPhone 4s , 6, , 7, 7 plus , IPad screen and fpc connectors.. I don't do it as a business only for friends and family. The fpc connectors are a little tough. The ones for the display have components on the back side of the board.
    The iPhone 7 plus screen replace is fairly easy just don't damage the home finger print scanner chip.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I will admit they make great products. But they use thuggery and abuse the legal system constantly. It's no wonder Woz left. He is the only apple employee that I respect. (Apple II FOREVER!!!)

When I was doing computer repair we bought parts from a company that sold "used" mac parts. They were constantly being sued by apple for exactly what this video shows.
    Buying used parts was our only option since we weren't an "authorized" apple dealer. It was just a little local "mom and pop" store.

Bean
  • Apple is a small communist government. I won't touch their ripoff products.

My latest backup phone is a Bluboo S1 and cost $180. Lots of power, gobs of memory. Very impressed.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Where did he go off the rails Gordon. I watched the whole thing and it all seemed reasonable.

I'd go further. Why not repair a iPhone or whatever with parts that are not made by the original manufacturer? As long as they don't claim to be genuine there is no counterfeiting going on.

Of course one might have quality issues with parts from an unknown Chinese factory. So be it.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    I have seen several of his videos, he is quite skilled when it goes on soldering/desoldering tiny components. His comments are quite spot on too. He repairs Apple products for a living, I think. You can see the way Apple builds their products as an "advantage" all glued up and almost unrepairable, so you have something that "works" out of the box and yadda yadda, one can also see it as expensive garbage after the planned one year, when the newest shiny is out. Repairing stuff reduces, imho, the about of trash that we as society produce, a problem that hasn't been tackled yet (shipping somewhere else so it is not seen is not a solution, as you know).
    Now I ask myself what should I do with my radeongate-affected MBPro again ?...better... don't say it, it has sharp edges :(
    edited 2018-04-19 14:30
    On the ground floor of the office building where I work there is an iPhone repair shop. I'm guess they are not in anyway "authorised" by Apple.

That they seem to have a good business going on. It never ceases to amaze me, the endless stream of people coming there every day. Mostly young girls with cracked IPhone screens. One middle aged guy searching for the place asked me where it was. I commented that he was the first guy I had seen going there. "Actually", he said, "I'm bring the phone in for my daughter".

Given that there is an iPhone store, far more conveniently located, in the nearby shopping mall this is all rather telling don't you think?

Also makes me wonder what do girls do with their phones?

Given that I have never managed to break a phone, despite being my usual careless self with them, I wonder why people are so keen to spend so much on such fragile models?

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I only "broke" one phone when I dropped it into the bath tub. I guess the text message wasn't THAT important....

Heater, I would guess they just drop them more since they never leave their hands...
    Or maybe sit on them, I see a lot of girls with phones in their back pockets...
    Or maybe they get mad and throw them...

Bean
    Bean,
    Or maybe they get mad and throw them...
    One young guy years ago got mad at his girlfriend during a phone conversation. He ended the call by throwing his Nokia Communicator across my living room. It's flight ended when it buried itself into the new hole it had made in the kitchen door.

The Communicator was undamaged.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2018-04-19 15:15
    Maybe my point, that follows, is someway biased by the fact that I've been maried for seven times, have four child of my own, and, in the meantime, mentored other 20 child, from other fathers, to grow up.

I'm not sure how every young girl in the world actually uses their phones, but, in my country (Brazil), they often tend to put them into the front or back pockets of their jeans-pants or shorts.

Prominently protruding, preferably halfway out of the pockets, so almost everyone can notice they have that very special and pricey type of smartphone.

Proudly displayed, exactly at the most curved, movement-rich and muscle-populated part of their anatomy.

As for the choice where they put smartphones, it appears to depend on each individual preferencies.

I'm not a psychologist nor a psychiatrist, but, if all those people will continue doing it, that way, there will be sure a good and long-term living expectance, for smartphone repair shops and the people who repair them for a living.

Then, everyone seems to be happy, including many mamas & papas that proudly help their child, taking broken gadgets to that many repair shops, everywhere in the world. Cheers for them all! :lol:
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2018-04-19 16:51
    A couple of years ago I had just replaced the screen on my oldest grandson's Iphone 4S, the one where the Apple geniuses decided to design a product where the most often replaced part requires a complete disassembly of the phone. Took me around four hours. Less than a day later the new screen on that phone was completely shattered. Turns out when he got home to change his clothes he tossed the phone onto his bed, followed shortly by his car keys, which landed squarely on top of the screen. I declined further requests to replace his screen again.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Well, I am very happy with my iphones. They just work. There are software updates. My iPhone is 3 1/2 years old.
    I have replaced the screen on my daughters iPad mini (2 yr old son threw it).

Right to repair is way worse with the green and yellow tractor company.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    On the ground floor of the office building where I work there is an iPhone repair shop. I'm guess they are not in anyway "authorised" by Apple.

That they seem to have a good business going on. It never ceases to amaze me, the endless stream of people coming there every day. Mostly young girls with cracked IPhone screens. One middle aged guy searching for the place asked me where it was. I commented that he was the first guy I had seen going there. "Actually", he said, "I'm bring the phone in for my daughter".

Given that there is an iPhone store, far more conveniently located, in the nearby shopping mall this is all rather telling don't you think?

Also makes me wonder what do girls do with their phones?

Given that I have never managed to break a phone, despite being my usual careless self with them, I wonder why people are so keen to spend so much on such fragile models?

My teen age nieces and all their female friends put their phones in their back pockets. As tight fitting as their jeans are it's no surprise their screens need to be replaced frequently.
  • kwinn wrote:
    My teen age nieces and all their female friends put their phones in their back pockets. As tight fitting as their jeans are it's no surprise their screens need to be replaced frequently.
    That's why I keep my cellphone cum wallet in a front pocket. Still, I've got a small compression fracture in the protective screen shield.

-Phil
    kwinn wrote:
    That's why I keep my cellphone cum wallet in a front pocket. Still, I've got a small compression fracture in the protective screen shield.

-Phil

Well, hard to protect something as fragile as todays cell phones when they are handled as frequently as they are. Since I started using cell phones (my first was car mounted) I have had to replace 3 due to damage.

The clip on first one came apart and the phone dropped 7 stories down a stair well. Had to sweep the remains up. For the second one the holster was pushed up off my belt as I leaned on a railing and holster and phone fell into lake Ontario. Last one was just a couple of months back when my iphone 4 slipped out of my hand as I was pulling it out of my pocket. It still worked but the screen was so badly cracked it was illegible, and a replacement screen was not available.
  • kwinn wrote:
    ...phone fell into lake Ontario. ...
    Hey, at least it was fresh water. Around here in saltwater country, that's an instant kiss of death.

-Phil

• frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2018-04-20 03:27
    When it come to right to repair, you ain't seen nuthin yet! Have not watched the clip yet but just add a few zeros, like 3 to 5 of them, add 10% for every letter in the word Medical and you will be in a different yet same world. Providing you are talking x-ray. With non-radiation emitting device, right to repair gets downright ugly. Just wait until Apple tries to go to whatever agency regulates phone stuff to try to convince said agency that only they should be able to fix their stuff. That is exactly what the Medical device makers are now in front of the FDA trying to do to the in-house and third party repair groups. The funny thing is they say only they can do this to their equipment safely and no one else. Yet they gleefully poach service from each other under the heading of multivendor service.........
  • Apple products are good because they control everything. If you want to get software (App) you have to download it from Apple. This way the app is free of outside spyware, hacking, etc.. The trade off is that Apple is more intrusive you need an Apple ID for everything etc. With Windows you load a program free or purchased you have no idea what's on there (read the terms of use will give some clues).
    Back in the day you bought a PC and it was yours. Now you buy a PC windows 8 or above and they want manage how your going to use it. The software is managing you instead you managing the software.
    I have a friend that has a franchise and part of that franchise is phone repair. They don't have any issue's because of prior agreements with Apple.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2018-04-20 04:43
    Have always had my Motorola phones in an Otterbox Defender case from day 1 for each of them and have never had any damage in any way. I use them for everything, they have been dropped numerous times (once from a roof), have been in dirt, mud, water, and soda. Yes, it makes my phone larger than what most people would accept, but in 7 years, I have yet to have any sort of issue with my phones. Proper protection is priceless for any phone. Plus, when I pull it out of the case, it looks like brand new. I still use my 7 year old Motorola Droid as my default Android WiFi device around the workbench.
  • If you can devise a way to convince a teenager to use its phone inside one of these extra-resistant covers, you'll soon would become a rich man, by also establishing a franchise to leverage from your teaching methodology. :smile:

As a side note, you could face the need to spent part of your income, into hiring some body-guards and lawyers, to defend you against the many repair shop owners, who would certainly lose the most part of their profits. -_-
  • So true, lol.

I recently judged a high school physics challenge competition. While there, two students saw my phone and asked what it was because it was thicker than any phone they recognized. I explained the Otterbox case and then literally threw it on to gymnasium floor to prove my point (loud enough for a few others to look). The look on their faces was priceless, but my point was made as I picked up the phone and continued using it as if it were nothing. I have probably thrown my phone to the floor as many times as I have dropped it...
  • Have always had my Motorola phones in an noOtterbox Defender case from day 1 for each of them and have never had any damage in any way. I use them for everything, they have been dropped numerous times (once from a roof), have been in dirt, mud, water, and soda. Yes, it makes my phone larger than what most people would accept, but in 7 years, I have yet to have any sort of issue with my phones. Proper protection is priceless for any phone. Plus, when I pull it out of the case, it looks like brand new. I still use my 7 year old Motorola Droid as my default Android WiFi device around the workbench.

Yup, same here...not even a scratched screen and I virtually live on the plant floor.

Always use protection ;)

edited 2018-04-20 12:15
    kwinn wrote:
    ...phone fell into lake Ontario. ...
    Hey, at least it was fresh water. Around here in saltwater country, that's an instant kiss of death.

-Phil

Good point. Problem was finding the phone even though the water was only about 4 feet deep. The water was murky (bumper boat section) and the bottom was covered in stones that felt about the same size and shape as the phone to my feet. Never did find it.
  • So true, lol.

I recently judged a high school physics challenge competition. While there, two students saw my phone and asked what it was because it was thicker than any phone they recognized. I explained the Otterbox case and then literally threw it on to gymnasium floor to prove my point (loud enough for a few others to look). The look on their faces was priceless, but my point was made as I picked up the phone and continued using it as if it were nothing. I have probably thrown my phone to the floor as many times as I have dropped it...

Kids. All awesome: lemme see, BAM. K cool.
  • Yanomani,

It's called Marketing or buzz. When everyone is talking about then they have to have it.
  • Your words are so true!

I gave up seeking for market trends when my first daughter was born, 42 years ago. I was 19 y.o..

At the blink of one eye, and I was an adult. Forever.

Hope I could keep my judgement skills intact, till my death.