Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What caused a recent topic sinking? — Parallax Forums

What caused a recent topic sinking?

I notice a new topic I'm participating in https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168361/how-to-purposely-corrupt-a-linux-filesystem has been sunk very early, maybe in the first couple of posts. I'm curious as to what triggered the sinking?

Comments

• What does sinking mean ?
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2018-04-13 15:08
    It means the moderators have frozen the most recent post in a topic to a particular date. This means the topic will no long appear to get updated in any date ordered indexes. Which has the appearance of "sinking" in the list of current topics even while a conversation is active.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2018-04-13 15:11
    Hi evan

The topic isn't been sinked, at least from my POV.

What is very strange, in fact, is that it is reacheable when you hit the "More Discussions" link, at the bottom of "General Discussion" thread list.

What is unusual/weird with it, is the fact that there are some posts at the thread whose date/time stamps are newer than the ones apearing at the top five most recently hitten ones.
    Yanomani wrote: »
    What is unusual/weird with it, is the fact that there are some posts at the thread whose date/time stamps are newer than the ones apearing at the top five most recently hitten ones.
    That's the key telltale sinking indicator.

• Ah, I believe I've got it!!!

It's fryday 13, at least here in Brazil. :lol:

Witches, black cats, curses and the like are just around the corners, waiting.....
    When I said "frozen the most recent post" I meant the date marker that says when the most recent post occurred. The actual posts are still correctly dated.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2018-04-13 15:20
    Then I've been foolished too, perhaps due the fact I had never experimented such behavior in a thread that I was participating following. (The scrambled-toes curse is attacking me!)

My fault, sorry! :frown:
  • Yanomani wrote: »
    Then I've been foolished too, perhaps due the fact I had never experimented such behavior in a thread that I was participating following. (The scrambled-toes curse is attacking me!)

My fault, sorry! :frown:

Actually black cats are friendly.

Perhaps given the top down nature of this forum, that as we add more messages to the location the one you're thinking of found itself buried?

:chip:
  • The OP should change the title to not sound so malicious even though the aim is to test error recovery and not intentionally cause harm.