Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 Flight Controller Hexacopter setup? — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 Flight Controller Hexacopter setup?

I've been scowering the net trying to find the proper setup for using the Elev-8 Flight Controller in a hexacopter. I can't seem to find the info, so have to ask: is anyone that's done it still around?

I read a 2016 conversation on the Elev-8 Github link between @JasonDorie and @MattMatz_Parallax, and it seemed they had everything practically ironed out for the Parallax Ground Station to automatically detect six motors vs four, but when I tried it, nothing changes. I still only have 4 motor buttons to test or calibrate.

I would also like to know if the Elev-8 flight controller assumes "X" or "+" configuration, because I'll have to arrange the booms appropriately for whichever it wants.
Thanks so much for any help on this! We have the other Elev-8 quads flying great now with a Pixhawk and Pix Mini FC, super stable. I have a bunch of parts ordered from Parallax that should arrive tomorrow so we can upgrade the V2 to a "mostly" V3, and finish the hexacopter build. I just need to get the motor setup figured out on this Parallax flight controller.

Comments

• Hi!

I wish the answer was simple, but it's not - yes, we did work it out, but there are some caveats.
    Start here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/Flight-Controller/blob/ActiveDevelopment/Firmware-C/elev8-main.h
    Scroll down a bit and you'll see the line that needs to be changed

You'll need the firmware and Groundstation from the ActiveDevelopment branch in github. You'll also need to build the groundstation with Qt.

From there, I honestly don't remember, and it would take me some time to really work through how this all worked. I hope that's enough info to get you started at least!
  • Hi Matt, thanks for the fast reply! I'll get on that link now and see if I can make it work. I really appreciate your time.
  • Do I make those changes directly in the main.h file and then upload them to the FC? And sorry to bother you again, but do you know if the Elev-8 FC expects an "X" or a "+" configuration when controlling a hex?
    Thanks!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-08-19 12:16
    I think you may have to open a new SimpleIDE file:
    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/elev-8-flight-controller-firmware
    replace the elev8-main.c with the one Matt referred to, a generate a new binary. I don't know what other files are involved on this upgrade.

As far as + an x. A hex is neither. As long as the forward motor is forward as far as the controller is concerned, it should be good. I have not tested this.

EDIT: I see there is a HEX+ AND HEX-X. Never knew that till now. I don't know what Jason configured the software for. Be interesting to see.

dronemission.com/diy-propeller-directions.htm

I was going on the old Hoverfly controller that was HEX+.

• Thanks for the help, will be interesting to see what they put in there. Looks like this would take some time to figure out the software side, and I didn't realize the Parallax FC wasn't setup for anything other than a quad. I'm thinking now I might just make a quad out of these parts and build a hex or octo later for heavy lifting projects with a controller that has GPS, etc.
  • Well, ended up making a quad out of all the parts today. I just couldn't stand to see them sit in a pile for another week. :D Flew well, need to shorten the wires and tuck everything in, but this was just for the first test flight before dark.

That's a true V2.5 with an even mix of V2 and V3 parts. ;)
    V3 chassis, Parallax Elev-8 FC with V2 ESCs, booms, and motors. Flashed those ESCs with SimonK firmware (used the Atmel socket flash tool) and they work much smoother than how they came originally. I have some V3 props to put on later and see how the motor temp does. Battery is a rather large 10,000 mAh 3S I purchased to build the hex, but the quad actually handles the weight nicely. The battery below the chassis "V3 style" is more stable in wind than the old battery high "V2 style".

If anyone can help with the info on the style of hexacopter the FC is setup for, either + or X configuration, I'd love the info, and also if there are more specifics on the files to change. Otherwise just have to build a hex or octo with a Pixhawk or F4/F7 flight controller or something like that down the road.
    Happy flying!

Elev8V2_5.jpg
    690 x 800 - 108K
  • DrPopDrPop Posts: 227
    edited 2018-03-23 03:35
    One other comment for anyone building these from parts - the V3 motor mounts catch considerably less wind than the old V2 mount. We had both styles out flying side by side in 24 mph wind, and some difference in stability was apparent.
    After witnessing that, I think it's worth the price difference and drilling one new hole in each boom if you have the older V2 style. Pretty nice conversion, actually.
  • I believe the setup was Hex-X style, as that gives forward clearance for a camera. That said, it's not difficult to support either one - The motor output code is really the only part that needs to be adjusted, and the changes are reasonably straightforward.
  • JasonDorie wrote: »
    I believe the setup was Hex-X style...

Thanks Jason! Makes sense to do it that way, then. I might try to get a top and bottom plate fabbed up for the Hex-X and give it a try. :cool:
  • DrPopDrPop Posts: 227
    edited 2018-03-25 06:26
    I finally got the ground station software to compile using the trial full (i.e. paid version) of QT. The "open source" install doesn't have any of the compilers needed to do it.

Is there any way I could have burnt out the USB chip that gives the flight controller power through the USB cable somehow? After editing the Ver. 3.0 of the firmware from the Active Development branch for a hex configuration, loading it to the Elev-8 FC, and then compiling the ground station to Ver. 3.0, I was finally able to see 6 motors to test. I should note that motor 5 would never turn on, even if I swapped a known good ESC and motor or both from a different ESC port on the FC. However...

Now it won't see the flight controller if there is no LiPo battery plugged into it. I only get the blue light (no red) on the USB port of the FC, and the large status LED stay one color (purple, white, whatever it hits when I plug it in). Ground Station software and SimpleIDE, and Blockly all find the com port for the FC, but none can actually connect to it. Then, if I plug the LiPo battery in, the Elev-8 FC shows up like it should, and I get a blinking all colors status LED like usual, plus I can see the gyro information come in, etc.

The only problem now is, of course I can't calibrate the ESCs and do a motor test because it wants me to remove the battery during the test, which then drops the Elev-8 FC connection, and it never completes. I tried putting the firmware back to the regular Ver. 2.0.1, and running the ground station 2.0.1 as well, but this doesn't fix the USB /power connection issue now.

Anyone ever run into something like this before?