Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PS2 Wireless Controller Receiver hack — Parallax Forums

PS2 Wireless Controller Receiver hack

Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
edited 2015-06-03 13:46 in Robotics
This is actually an adjunct project to a bot project I have alluded to in the Test Forum about posting in-line pictures.

This project is to adapt a Sony PS2 Wireless Controller so that I can control the bot's movements around the house.

From an Ebay site, ivegotalltheflavors, I ordered and received two Wireless Shock Remote Controllers for Sony Playstation 2 which comes with a receiver module for each controller for 19.86 total and free shipping from Austin, Tx. I tested both sets using Andy Lindsay's ps2gamelite C program. I attached the wireless receiver to the Activity Board with a PS2 controller extension cable which I cut in half and attached a header to the cable. I realized from the start that I was going to have to make some changes since the extension cable was much too large and unwieldy to be used on my bot. I took one of the receivers apart and attached a much smaller harness to where the circuit board attaches to the PS2 connector. As you will see in the pictures, I only made two modifications to the receiver. The first was to add a 10K resistor from the Data pin to the Vdd pin since the Data signal requires a pull up. The second change was to slightly modify the receivers top cover to allow the added harness entry into the enclosure. The outside end of the harness is soldered to a 7 pin header and encased with clear hot glue. (Not one of my better jobs!
Hooked it up to the Activity board and powered up both units, seeing both green LED's switch from blinking (not paired) to steady on (paired). Took a couple pictures of the program output to show that the Square button was pressed and the JoyRY was showing an analog reading between 128 - 255.

As for the wire harness I used I was fortunate enough to have salvaged several ATM wire harnesses when I used to work for Fujitsu. It had the right colors, just not quite the right order.

Still new at posting images inline, I may have not resized them small enough so I'll just add a second post with more pics.

The fourth and sixth picture shows a wiring diagram with resistors between the Controller and the Propeller. I did not use the resistors since I was supplying 3.3 V to the wireless receiver.

attachment.php?attachmentid=114401&d=1433363031attachment.php?attachmentid=114402&d=1433363338attachment.php?attachmentid=114403&d=1433363536

Comments