Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller IDE, err I mean PropTool — Parallax Forums

Propeller IDE, err I mean PropTool

JDJD Posts: 570
edited 2018-02-11 03:44 in General Discussion
I found a strange thing tonight when I was trying to make a datalogger with the Sensirion on the PropBOE. The Sensirion demo loads with FloatString.spin in the same directory, but will not load if FloatString.spin is in the Propeller Library folder like Float32.spin and Sensirion.spin.

The IDE is oddly missing that the file is there when compiling but will catch the others. Anything thoughts?

Comments

• I've noticed some oddities with PropellerIDE, too -- so much so that I've switched to BST. It's a shame that the project stopped. I think what may be at play is the programmer installed a bunch of hooks for fancy features and they're, at times, rearing their ugly heads.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    I will just keep all my code for each project in a folder like I have before. That process creates duplicates copies of objects, but I'm not shy on HD space. My general convention was to keep all the pieces of code for a project in a folder, so when I share it, there isn't any missing pieces that were compiled from the library. Back to that convention I go.

I knew it wasn't just me ... this time. hahaha :-D
  • I'm curious what version of Propeller IDE you are using, and on what platform/OS?

I stopped at at an older stable version, 0.33.3, on a Macbook/OS10.12.3, and have not had the particular problem you describe. Just to be sure, have you gone to the menu propellerIDE/preferences and pointed it to the library folder that you want?

I'm curious what version of Propeller IDE you are using, and on what platform/OS?

I am using PropIDE 1.3.2 on Win7

I am using the default library path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.3.2\Library). The odd part, is the IDE found everything else that was in the library.

• Version 1.3.2 is for PropTool, not Propeller IDE (which is at version 0.33.3 in the downloads at the parallax site). These are very different from each other.

Also, looking at your zip file, the version of FloatString.spin in there is different from the one in the Library. The readme.txt file in the zip explains the difference.
    Probably the reason things are failing for you is that difference.

edited 2018-02-11 04:05
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Version 1.3.2 is for PropTool, not Propeller IDE (which is at version 0.33.3 in the downloads at the parallax site). These are very different from each other.

Also, looking at your zip file, the version of FloatString.spin in there is different from the one in the Library. The readme.txt file in the zip explains the difference.
    Probably the reason things are failing for you is that difference.

Yes PropTool, thank you.

The issue still remains that it's not compiling from the library like all the other objects do, but does when it's in the same folder. I will have to search out and see if I can try another version and see if that works like you suggested.

**update** Good call Roy, I didn't catch the library had an older version with the same name. A+

• JD,
    The library has the official version, the version that comes with that zip has modifications made by the person that made the Sensirion code. That is why they included it in the zip to be with the Sensirion code that needs it.
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    JD,
    The library has the official version, the version that comes with that zip has modifications made by the person that made the Sensirion code. That is why they included it in the zip to be with the Sensirion code that needs it.

I just replaced the official version with the new version instead of having multiple versions in the library to sort through.
  • I'll put in a plug for my Sensirion code. I uses fixed point math and doesn't need the floating point libraries.
    http://obex.parallax.com/object/517