Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller and interruptions ? — Parallax Forums

propeller and interruptions ?

I have a beginner's question. How do you simulate interruptions with the propeller? I love the philosophy of this microcontroller, but I can not do without interruptions in my head when I develop ... thanks !

Comments

• Interrupts were invented as a necessary "evil" so that a single processor could be interrupted from whatever it was that it was doing so that it could go off and do something else. It is an "evil" in that this interruption at just the wrong/right time can cause all sorts of mysterious symptoms that are hard to track down but also an "evil" in that it is not as good as having two independent processes, one for each. This is the concept of the multi-core Propeller chip, the "interrupt" is actually just one of the cogs that is always ready for that process while the other cogs carry on their tasks. In my systems I may even devote a whole cog just for maintaining background timers and soft RTC functions.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    As Peter says, the simplest way is throw a whole Cog at the function and WAIT on the condition. Many objects in the OBEX do this very method. It's the easiest to comprehend and it's hard to beat for high precision. You could think of the Prop as eight soft devices rather than eight general processors.

It really depends on how precise the timing needs to be ... some other techniques/combinations are:
    - Synchronising the instructions to match the timing requirements.
    - Synchronous instructions can be even extended to removing the WAITs which provides top throughput but is obviously the trickiest to fine tune. Many VGA displays are done this way.
    - Polling multiple conditions as a general loop can work when the demands are low. This is the easiest multitasking to comprehend.
    - Polling in a simplistic cooperative task switching arrangement can be very effective. JMPRET is used heavily here I think.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    You only have to adjust your head a little bit henrib75. Like so:

Why do you need interrupts?

Well, only so that some code gets run, as soon as possible, in response to some event happening. Usually an external event that changes an input pin.

Ah, so you don't actually want interrupts at all. What you want is some code to get run in response to an event.

It just so happens that a Propeller has 8 processors, COGS. Code running on any of those COGs can halt execution and wait on changes on input pins. The WAITxx instructions.

So, just put the code that you want to run in response to an event on one of those COGs and have it do a WAITxx that triggers it's execution when a pin changes.

Boom, problem solved. No interrupts required. Much easier and faster, than using interrupts.

• henrib75, Welcome to the forums!

Peter, evanh, and Heater: Thanks for the explanations. I have had to answer this exact question to a few folks that don't understand why I like the Propeller so much. I have never had a really clean answer, but summarizing your three explanations together makes it so clear to me. In the past, I have just said that I can't understand why I have to stop doing one thing to do something else on a microcontroller. I first ran in to this struggle when I tried to replicate a Cypress PSOC project 4 years ago and just couldn't grasp why the 200 lines of main code had to halt the serial port while it drove a servo. This drove me nuts. My equivalent program on the Propeller just used 2 objects from the Propeller Tool's library running in 3 cogs total and my main code was around 20 lines.
  • Henrib75,

Think of it in terms of working?

Would you prefer a bunch of bosses "Interrupting" you with demands, or a group of Workers under your command?

That's the difference between the way other processors work and the Propeller. Instead of dividing time between many requests you either assign jobs as they are needed or assign dedicated tasks to each Cog.

For example, Serial communication is often dedicated to a Cog since it's time critical and it just runs the same program over and over forever.
    Your main program never has to worry about what the Serial Cog is doing, only that data has arrived or needs to be sent.
    The Serial Cog knows nothing about what the main program is doing, only that Serial data has arrived or data has shown up in the Send buffer to be sent out.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2018-01-06 07:18
    interruptions are one thing ... interrupts are something else.

If you truly want to simulate an interrupt on the Propeller, then as mentioned you could dedicate a COG to monitor events EXTERNAL and/or INTERNAL that would signal the other COGS to halt operation until the interrupt flag had been cleared.

There is nothing scary about interrupts, you just have to understand them and what they are doing. Personally I use interrupts all of the time in the PIC micro world and have no issues.
    Beau,
    There is nothing scary about interrupts...
    They are second nature to those of us who have been hacking low level code for decades.
    ...you just have to understand them and what they are doing
    I think that is the scary part.

Having had to fix many bugs in interrupt driven software over the decades it's clear that programmers have a very hard time reasoning about what they are doing. These bugs have a habit to be rarely occurring, timing related glitches that are hard to find, reproduce and debug.

Just yesterday I was reading how some device driver does not work with the Linux kernel with real time patches due to some race condition or other. Seems programmers far more skillful than me still get this wrong.

Juggling an interrupt or two on a PIC is fine. But the bottom line is there is only one processor, each interrupt steals time from other things you want to do, introduces latency and slows processing. Destroys deterministic execution.
    Oh, forgot to say, I have a particular downer on interrupts this week because...

I discovered that it is possible to stop the Linux kernel from scheduling processes on particular cores on a Raspberry Pi. With that and the ability to map I/O registers into user memory it is possible to take over a core and bit-bang on the I/O without wasting any time in the kernel. A toggle rate of up to 60MHz. Probably more if I wrote the code in assembler.

Except...there is still some pesky Linux interrupt being handled by my dedicated core. Which knocks 10us holes in my bit-banged output stream. So far I have not managed to find out what it is or how to stop it hitting my core.

Interrupts....grrrr...

• Thank you for your answers.

Why do you need interrupts?
    Good question ... that a cog monitors a condition and triggers a code, that's one thing. But for me it starts to become more complex (and less "clean") if this same condition must also stop a code running already, and restart where it was once the code of the first cog completed.
    The idea is to execute a code OR another depending on the interruption. But I can not always make a big loop that tests continuously, because if a piece of code is long to execute, the test may miss the signal or treat it too late.
    Am I clear?

henrib75, Welcome to the forums!
    Thank you ! But I have been here since 2011 ... :-)

They are second nature to those who have been hacking low level code for decades.
    Exactly!

Sorry for my english but i'm french (thanks google translation) ...
  • henri - You have eight cogs to play with that means while one is running the main loop, another can just sit waiting for signal A and process it, then another cog can wait for signal B etc. All the while they sit around a hub sharing a common memory where all the results and commands etc are passed between the cogs.

I do not understand though what you are trying to do but it should always be far easier to do with multiple cogs than with interrupts. Do you have a simple flowchart or outline of what you are trying to do or perhaps just describe it in enough detail for us so that we will be able to explain how it could be done with the Propeller. The answer I suspect though will be that simple that you will probably smack your head and exclaim "but of course"! :)
    henrib75 wrote: »
    The idea is to execute a code OR another depending on the interruption. But I can not always make a big loop that tests continuously, because if a piece of code is long to execute, the test may miss the signal or treat it too late.
    Am I clear?
    Two multitasking variations on a big loop can achieve what you want. Both chop up the long code, but in different ways:

- One is the cooperative switching. This involves inserting a jump that stores it's return point. JMPRET is built for this very purpose. This is not unlike a call/return but instead of jumping to a subroutine you are jumping to an alternative task. You put the JMPRET at strategic inline points of all concerned tasks so that all tasks are always being monitored for state change.

- The other way is what I'll call curated execution. This would be something like a repeating loop that only does one iteration and exits without finishing all iterations, with the knowledge it will be re-executed again very soon. This then is part of the main big loop, with no one function consuming much time in any one moment.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    FWIW I mastered interrupt code over 40 years ago.

However, for the past nearly 10 years I have been coding the prop and I have never needed interrupts :)

I find I code a whole lot more in the routines that would have been done in an interrupt, making the main code routine simpler, shorter, and mostly not even time sensitive, meaning that often my main routine can be done in spin which saves me programming time too! Add to this, each piece of code is simpler meaning less chances for bugs.
    henrib75,

Yes, pretty clear.
    I can not always make a big loop that tests continuously, because if a piece of code is long to execute, the test may miss the signal or treat it too late.
    I think at this point we need to know more details before being able to sensibly advise:

1) What is the minimum length of this input pulse that you are afraid of missing?

If it is going to me something really short then the best thing is to dedicate a COG to waiting on that pin or pins. Then setting some flags to indicate what code should be running.

2) Is there any externally visible response to that interrupt that has to be output within some short time? That is to say what is the latency requirement here?

3) What language are your writing this in: Spin, PASM, C, other?

One brutal approach to this is to have the event handling COG stop and start a COG in response to a pin change. When a pin event indicates a change of operating "mode" is required, the event handling COG does a COGSTOP on whatever COG is running the code that should be stopped, then a COGSTART to get the code for the new mode running.

• I programmed an ARM chip back in 2005 to generate VGA graphics and sound using only interrupts and dumb I/O. I would have to pre-interrupt the horizontal to minimize the jitter so that the real interrupt was processed shortly after that, but even then it had jitter. Then of course in the foreground it would even have some CPU cycles left over to do something useful, but not as useful as it would if it didn't have to worry about interrupts. Then there were many other interrupt routines for the PS/2 keyboard and mouse and serial communications and SD card routines etc. Along comes the Propeller and it doesn't have interrupts. Is that bad? No, it was so much better now that I could dedicate a whole processor to generating VGA, and another one to sound etc. I dread going back to the bad old days of interrupts :) (Simple PIC chips etc are trivial though).
  • For someone always thinking outside of the box, I typically use interrupts to control deterministic timing and not the other way around where interrupts mess up the deterministic timing in the main loop.

In a typical design I create a flow chart where each node is assigned an index number and is designed to fall-through in code where a dispatch handler directs program execution based on the index value. Multiple indexes allow for atomic functionality or multi threaded types of operation. The flow chart is essentially a state machine where more than one state machine can be interleaved. "Real time" is considered anything that happens at 100Hz or greater. To achieve deterministic timing, the interrupt interval is set and a counter is cleared. I have it setup so that the interval that I set resolves to the number of instructions I want to wait. Upon calling the code, the interrupt is enabled allowing the counter to count. At the end of the code I want to be deterministic, it will wait until the interrupt interval has expired. That way no matter what conditional branches happen within the code snip, the time of execution will always be the same.

With multiple COGs, it's easy to throw different functionality at each one, but it's like nickle and dime-ing and adds up quickly. Do you really need an entire COG dedicated to serial communication, or motor control, or keypad, etc?

I've got a project right now that controls 3-Stepper motors at 51,200 pulses per revolution, a 5000 rpm spindle motor, Touch screen communication/control, system fluid controls, proximity sensors, head rotation motor and a few other things with the equivalent of a single COG.

I'm not ranting really, my point is and I have said this before. Multiple processors are great, but we are a long ways from programming them efficiently and it's simply a mind set or way of thinking that needs to change.

A Propeller analogy .... "Who cares if you have an 8 lane or 16 lane highway with a bus in every lane if the only person in the bus is the driver" ... I say "load the thing up" and make use of the 40 or so seats on each bus!!
    Not so much out of the box. Using interrupts to get code executed in deterministic time slots is what I have seen and worked on in industrial control systems, avionics systems and so on since the early 1980's.

Admittedly it is something of an inversion of the kind of thing people normally think of when they think interrupts. That is, a big program in a main loop with little interrupt handlers butting in. No, you can do it the other way around, put all your code into an interrupt handler or handlers, triggered by timer tick or external clock.

The most elegant approach like this that I worked with is a language called Lucol that was used in avionics systems by Lucas Aerospace. In that system all code was hung of an interrupt, 10ms, 100ms, whatever. To ensure you could not overrun your timing budget the Lucol language did not support loops. No "for", "while" or "goto" backwards in the code. The magic result of that was the compiler could report the exact maximum execution time of the complete build and warn if timing was getting tight. Which is kind of important in safety critical systems.

Of course most programmers hated to work in Lucol because it had no loops and other conveniences.... ah well.

Beau,

I can totally agree that throwing a whole 32 bit CPU at a UART or keypad etc, seems very wasteful.

But it does have one major advantage....

I can take an object from you, a UART for example, some objects from somewhere else, VGA say, and create a top level program object for myself that uses all of that.

I can do this very quickly and easily because I know that any time critical parts of these "foreign" objects are going to run in total isolation in their own processor. They are not going to be fighting each other for time. There is no interrupt priority or other scheduling for me to think about. It all just works.

If the Prop were a single CPU machine with interrupts all that would be impossible. Or at least orders of magnitude harder.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2018-01-07 01:08
    I'm a simple guy who lives a quiet life in Hollywood (most of us here do) -- I try to keep my programs as simple and practical as possible. Here's a real-world example from a recent commercial project that I think would be trickier to program using interrupts. I could be wrong, as I haven't used interrupts since the SX was assassinated.

In this case, the background cog simulates a 1ms interrupt event.

The project is a controller for those big -- somewhat clunky -- roads signs used around construction sites; usually flashing a pattern of building chevrons moving left or right. The HMI has six buttons that need to be debounced, and due to the nature of the code behavior, I'd also like an auto-repeat function when a button is held down.

A dirt simple background cog handles these requirements. As the code is all in Spin, I put it at the end of the main file which gives the "foreground" code access to the background variables. When a button press is detected in the foreground, that button's timer is set to a negative value which determines the auto-repeat rate.

Easy-peasy, and works well. For grins, there is also a global milliseconds timer that can be used for event timing where using the cnt register would be inconvenient.

con { background }

{ ----------------------------- }
      {  B A C K G R O U N D   C O G  }
      {  - global milliseconds        }
      {  - button scan/debounce       }
      { ----------------------------- }

var

long  bcog                                                    ' background cog #
      long  bcstack[16]                                             ' stack for background cog

long  millis                                                  ' global milliseconds register

long  buttons                                                 ' bit array of active buttons
      long  release                                                 ' ms since last button released

long  utimer
      long  dtimer
      long  ltimer
      long  rtimer
      long  otimer
      long  xtimer

pri background_start

background_stop

bcog := cognew(background, @bcstack) + 1

return bcog

pri background_stop

if (bcog)                                                     ' running
        cogstop(bcog-1)                                             '  yes, stop
        bcog := 0                                                   '  mark stopped
        longfill(@millis, 0, 9)                                     '  clear background vars

pri background | t                                              ' launch with cognew()

t := cnt                                                      ' sync loop timer
      repeat
        waitcnt(t += MS_001)                                        ' run loop every millisecond
        ++millis
        scan_buttons                                                ' re-scan HMI buttons
        if (buttons)                                                ' if any button pressed
          release := 0
        else
          release := ++release <# 120_000

pri scan_buttons                                                ' unrolled for best speed

if (ina[INX_UP])                                              ' up pressed?
        if (++utimer => BTN_DB)                                     '  debounced?
          buttons |= BTN_UP                                         '   add into buttons array
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_UP                                        ' not deboucned or in hold-off
      else
        utimer := 0                                                 ' clear timer
        buttons &= !BTN_UP                                          ' clear from array

if (ina[INX_DN])
        if (++dtimer => BTN_DB)
          buttons |= BTN_DN
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_DN
      else
        dtimer := 0
        buttons &= !BTN_DN

if (ina[INX_LF])
        if (++ltimer => BTN_DB)
          buttons |= BTN_LF
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_LF
      else
        ltimer := 0
        buttons &= !BTN_LF

if (ina[INX_RT])
        if (++rtimer => BTN_DB)
          buttons |= BTN_RT
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_RT
      else
        buttons &= !BTN_RT
        rtimer := 0

if (ina[INX_OK])
        if (++otimer => BTN_DB)
          buttons |= BTN_OK
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_OK
      else
        buttons &= !BTN_OK
        otimer := 0

if (ina[INX_ESC])
        if (++xtimer => BTN_DB)
          buttons |= BTN_ESC
        else
          buttons &= !BTN_ESC
      else
        buttons &= !BTN_ESC
        xtimer := 0

• Still don't understand this aversion to interrupts.

As a mechanic, I work daily with tools that could produce serious injuries if not used properly. It's part of my job to know each tool in my toolbox and how to utilize it safely and effectively.

Interrupts are just another tool in a programmers toolbox. They can be used or avoided depending on how familiar you are with them.

Interrupts do screw up timing but most applications aren't time critical enough for this to be an issue. Humans aren't sensitive enough to notice a one millisecond delay and you can get a lot done in one millisecond.

If you have N cogs available you will eventually need N+1. Interrupts allow you to do more with the same resources. It's like having more cogs. Who wouldn't like that!

Sandy
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I don't think there's an aversion to interrupts. At least not among the posters above. As for myself, I'm very comfortable with interrupts, the first half of my life as a programmer was real time and interrupts all the time.
    No, the aversion isn't about interrupts, the aversion is about the idea that you need interrupts or you can't get things done.
  • What I can't understand is why it has to be all one way or all the other. Why not have a chip that has a number of independent processors like COGs but also some standard hardware blocks like i2c, spi, uart, etc? The standard blocks could be used to easily interface to standard devices and the independent processors could be used when interfacing to non-standard hardware. I suspect that a chip with four COGs and a bunch of other standard hardware blocks would require far less logic and the standard blocks would run faster than "soft peripherals" implemented in COGs.
    But what if you don't need the one UART, but you have something else and you end up needing five cogs.. the built-in hardcoded UART will just look like a waste then.
  • Tor wrote: »
    But what if you don't need the one UART, but you have something else and you end up needing five cogs.. the built-in hardcoded UART will just look like a waste then.
    I would agree except that the UART will take a tiny amount of space compared with another COG. Hardly any space is wasted for a device that is almost universally used.

But UARTs aren't that simple.. take a look at what's around. Registers and status bits, modes, interrupt handling, fifos etc. You wouldn't need just the silicon space, but also the programming interface with dedicated addresses and usually pins as well.
  • Tor wrote: »
    But UARTs aren't that simple.. take a look at what's around. Registers and status bits, modes, interrupt handling, fifos etc. You wouldn't need just the silicon space, but also the programming interface with dedicated addresses and usually pins as well.
    I assume a UART hardware block could be made to have access to any of the pins just like a COG. Of course that adds logic but still not as much as a COG. Anyway, a combination of COGs and hardware blocks doesn't match the Propeller philosophy so it will never happen unless someone other than Parallax does it with the P1v code.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    David Betz wrote: »
    Tor wrote: »
    I assume a UART hardware block could be made to have access to any of the pins just like a COG. Of course that adds logic but still not as much as a COG. Anyway, a combination of COGs and hardware blocks doesn't match the Propeller philosophy so it will never happen unless someone other than Parallax does it with the P1v code.
    The P1 had a relatively small, silicon wise, COG. So it is not so wasteful to throw a COG at 1..4+ UARTs, and smart UARTs at that.

However, the P2 has a big COG, so silicon UARTs would be many times smaller than a COG, less smarts. The P2 now has SmartPins that can relieve the COG from a great deal of work. But, these SmartPins are not small either.

For the P1 or P2 to keep the philosophy of all pins equal, we would need a lot of silicon UARTs, I2C, SPI, etc, etc. Now we have a huge number of registers just to set things up. ARM/etc her we go again.

No thanks, I am happy with the P1/P2 philosophy, although just maybe we should have thought about having a number of small COGs too for I/O processing instead of wasting massive COGs. It's too late now tho!
    The Prop2 Smartpins are an implemented hardware block, and done in the Propeller philosophy to boot. Ie: Symmetrically.

Which means each instance is minimal. Tor will be right, a typical full UART will be many times bigger than what is in Smartpins.

The hidden die space cost with Smartpins is the data paths between them and the Cogs. Chip removed a huge ring bus from the Prop2-Hot design that had allowed any DAC to be driven from any Cog. The removal more than doubled the space available for HubRAM at the time.

I suspect this huge bus has somewhat been reinstated with the incremental widening of Smartpin access from the Cogs. Which may explain the significant miscalculation of how many Cogs would fit.

• I’m sure the Propeller way is best. I guess we’ll see when to P2 goes on sale
  • Thank you all.

"Do you really need to have COG dedicated to serial communication, or motor control, or keypad, etc.?"
    Good remark. Because 8 cogs is a lot and a little at a time ...

"a language called Lucol"
    Do you have any information on this? Google did not give me anything ...

"Still do not understand this aversion to interrupts."
    Personally I have no dislike of interruptions. They were very useful. My problem is that sometimes I think again with ...

"I'm sure the propeller way is best. I guess we’ll see when to P2 goes on sale"
    Well, yes, when finally?

"Why do you need interrupts?"
    This is only a general question. I do not have a specific need right now.
    edited 2018-01-07 20:10
    henrib75,

It's very hard to find any information on Lucol now a days. It was an in-house language to Lucas Aerospace. I last worked on it around about 1990. It was a pre-internet thing. Probably gone the same way as the VAX computers we used to develop it with.

Lucol gets a brief mention in this document:
    https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2012?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=petergarbett1958.pdf

Which is basically a sales pitch for Ada to replace such languages. Interestingly it includes a diagram of part of a control system developed in Lucol. Those diagrams were produced from the Lucol source code itself and could be used as documentation.

One team at Lucas whilst I was there did adopt Ada instead of Lucol for an avionics control system. It was a disaster. It's run time took random amounts of the 10 or 100ms time budget it had, mostly exceeding by far the 50% load the requirements demanded and often hitting 95%. I measured it with an oscilloscope. When I asked the team's project manager if he could guarantee it would never exceed the 100% time budget and hence cause failure, there was a deadly silence... they had no idea!

There is the book: "FM'99 - Formal Methods: World Congress on Formal Methods in the ..., Volume 2" `
    https://books.google.fi/books?id=kUVsCQAAQBAJ&amp;pg=PA1818&amp;lpg=PA1818&amp;dq=lucol+lucas+aerospace&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=D-gbufPF3m&amp;sig=19DGShO7hiBZmpVBNv36nlyBHLA&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ved=0ahUKEwjN4c-WycbYAhUEBSwKHcUrAG0Q6AEIQjAD#v=onepage&amp;q=lucol lucas aerospace&amp;f=false

Which has a piece on Lucol.

It talks about how formal reasoning and timing analysis is easily done with Lucol programs.

A can't for the life of me find any actual source code examples.

Edit: Lucol gets a mention in a list in this presentation on Safety Critical Software Development:
    http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/teaching/safety/powerpoint/10_DO178B.pdf

BINGO! This document has a lot of description of the Lucol language and it's reasons for being the way it is. There is also some example Lucol code:
    https://proceedings.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/data/Conferences/ASMEP/83943/V005T14A006-82-GT-251.pdf

Glad to to know I did not imagine that big junk of my life !