Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin and PASM in Linux? — Parallax Forums

Spin and PASM in Linux?

Hello it has been quite a while since I have posted, i just haven't had any projects fit for the propeller in a while. I am currently setting up a 10ft sat dish for radio astronomy and building a custom azimuth/elevation system(even learning to weld finally). Anyways I would like to use a propeller for the motor control and reading the compass/GPS/Accel and Gyro. The thing is I am almost exclusively a linux user now, since it has much better support for software defined radio experimentation. I begrudgingly run a windows 7 VM for the times I need to use my propscope or and some other things. When I was last here the prop tool was the official way to code in spin and PASM, then there was BST for linux which I can only seem to find the documentation for (a pdf on the parallax site) and not the actual program. Im wondering if anything has changed and if simple IDE not supports Spin and PASM, and if not where can I find BST? I really hate writing code and debugging micros through a VM so im hoping there is some kind of cross platform setup now that support Spin PASM and C, at the verty worst maybe someone has them all working in some kind of eclipse config?

Comments

• If you Google "BST Propeller" then Brad Campbell's site is at the top of the list.

However I find version 0.19.4-pre11 quite stable. The best part about BST is that you can view the full compiler listing.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Last I checked BST still worked fine under Debian. I have not tried it under the latest Debian Stretch version.

Anyway there is PropellerIDE now. Which is cross-platform.

• frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2017-12-24 08:07
    BST works for me under mint 18.2. As to scope, Bitscope works cross platform (windows, linux, mac osx) as does the Digilent Analog Explorer 2 I recently picked up on ebay. As to Debian stretch, I was only able to only use 19.3 without issues.The BST stuff is still located on www.fnarfbargle.com, billed as Brads private playground. Last update was 2010.