Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Charging Parallax Li-ion Power Pack-Charger Full Kit — Parallax Forums

Charging Parallax Li-ion Power Pack-Charger Full Kit

I'm mostly just curious: is there any real world difference in battery longevity of charging an Li-ion pack like this with higher or lower volt or amp rated power supply? For example, I have three I could use: Parallax 7.5V 1.6A; a 12V 1.5A; or a 12V 2A.
I would think the higher voltage or amperage rated PSUs might heat the battery and/or board more, but maybe not enough to matter?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-12-11 16:19
    The board is designed to take 12 volts input. The higher amperage voltage will cause the heat sinks to get warmer, not the battery. The higher amperage input decreases the charging time.
  • Publison wrote: »
    The board is designed to take 12 volts input. The higher amperage with cause the heat sinks to get warmer, not the battery. The higher amperage input decreases the charging time.
    Don't you mean the higher voltage will cause the heat sinks to get warmer?
    Jim

• Jim. You are correct. I corrected my post. I was reading this as I was writing.
    Connect a “center positive” 2.1mm wall transformer (such as Parallax #750-00009) to the
    Charging Power Input jack as noted in Figure 3. The power supply should have a voltage output
    between +5 VDC and +12 VDC. The amount of current necessary to charge the cells is
    controlled automatically by the circuitry; however your wall transformer should be rated at 1 amp
    or more to minimize charging time. If the charging current supply is too low, the charging
    circuits may not operate. In addition, a lower current will not harm the cells; they’ll just take
    longer to charge.

• Thanks, so it's mostly the board that takes the brunt of faster charging, not the cells.