Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
An Observation - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

An Observation

2»

Comments

• I thought as much...but wanted to be sure.

I have lots of one-wire sensors and experience using them. They monitor flow, pressure, depth, temperature, humidity, device ON/OFF conditions...like that. The BS2p also performs comparisons and does calculations before sending results to the propeller. The propeller then sends processed data to the laptop for display. Also, there isn't much programming space left in the propeller for factory operations.

Discovery
  • I always find it hard to believe that many users run out of memory on the Prop. I can run a fat32 filesystem, http and ftp servers, vga, all kinds of devices, and still have memory left on a standard Prop system. My system even has a one wire serial number discovery for shared i/o devices.
  • Pete,
    I am confident that you would be able to pack everything in a single propeller. I do not have the skill you possess so I use those components and software that work and I understand.

I would like it greatly if the propeller was designed like the BS2 with non-volatile memory. Apply power and the code executes. Many of my devices, instruments, and systems use the BS2 for that very reason. Of course, the propeller has the number crunching capability and other features that require it's use.

Is it fair to say that the BS2 USB interface has the same condition as the propeller?

Discovery
  • Peter,
    I manufactured a switch interface that fits between the PCB and the USB. Everything is working properly.

Thanks.

Discovery
  • Propeller is a pretty robust chip that has been running in some applications for multiple decades so I feel it's pretty unlikely that the failure was caused by the propeller chip.
  • ASKME wrote: »
    Propeller is a pretty robust chip that has been running in some applications for multiple decades so I feel it's pretty unlikely that the failure was caused by the propeller chip.

well not by the chip, but the way Parallax is connecting USB to reset, using DTR of the serial adapter to reset the prop, without putting a jumper there to disable the reset.

And every time the host-computer enumerates the USB ports (restart of Host, plugging something into another USB port of the Host) or opening and closing serial ports in software, or unplugging or plugging in the USB cable on the propeller - the propeller will reset.

Its not the chip. the chip is fine and all boards without build in USB can be rescued by putting a switch in between PropPlug reset and Propeller reset.

with build in USB you have to cut traces.

Mike

• Thanks for pointing that out Mike. Seems like there should be a better way, but what do I know?
  • exactly,

Parallax (and all other insisting on build in USB) should at least put a jumper between /Reset and USB.

Even better would be jumpers on RX and TX also.

Mike