Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proximity Sensor - sonar - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Proximity Sensor - sonar

2»

Comments

• LOL! But I suspect the ultrasonic Ping))) will still have legs for longer distances.

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    How did I miss this! YAHOO!

Thanks erco...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    You're not giving me those two words I long to hear, young Whit!
  • ...Can't figure out from the photo which micro is being used with it though. Not...
    -Phil

@Phil - that's because it's one of those "SPY" report shots of next year's model, like in Motor Trend! :D haha
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2017-11-22 14:46
    erco wrote: »
    stand.jpg
    Oops, redesign time new product doesn't appear to fit this bracket!
    Jim

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2017-11-22 15:32
    What about bolt it to the led-tube hole in the center?

... mind you, the new one is much narrower.... 8mm for that 3-pin header, and same again... about 16mm wide?

How many could you fit across one of those aluminium ping brackets.... Hmm... can't find one to measure!

Edit: Ah! found it... about 55mm wide. You could sticky pad 3 or 4 LaserPing's on a do some nice mapping of corners!
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    ...You could sticky pad 3 or 4 LaserPing's on a do some nice mapping of corners!

I'm already trying to dream up some triangulation of data schemes with three of them in my head. :D
  • Are there any "leaked" info on these laser PINGs; eg, max range, acceptance angle, and operating temperature range?

I'm really interested to know more about the OTR if extreme temperature range or rapid temperature changes in air affects distance calculations.

I modified my program to use 4 cores(cogs); core0 for main while core1, core2, and core3 will drive the PING devices. Core1 is now driving the current PING and the other two cores are sleeping waiting for the PING to arrive. Perhaps another core to drive the buzzer and LEDs... : )

I need two PINGs working simultaneously to prove the device work and this success will drive my little project to move forward. A third PING will most likely be added to improve coverage. I think the laser PING will be a game changer.

Thanks
    jav
  • javelinjavelin Posts: 18
    edited 2017-11-26 03:05
    It works and it works great!

Got two PINGs, two LED and a buzzer, running on the Propeller board using 3 cores.

For the purpose of validating the basic functionality, the PING sensors are setup the same way. The difference is the PING on the left alerts with two LED while the PING on the right alerts with a buzzer. Cog0(core0) runs the main program while core1 drives the PING on the left and core2 drives the PING on the right.

When an object gets close to within 6-10 feet, the yellow LED lit up. If the object is less than 6 feet away, the red LED lit up. When an object is less than 1 foot away, the buzzer sounds.

EDIT: the second video is testing both PING sensing distance at the same time. When I place my left and right hands within a foot of the sensors, the red LED lit up and the buzzer sounds. When I move my left hand away while keeping my right hand near the right PING, the buzzer keeps buzzing. On the other hand if I keep my left hand near the left PING and move right hand away, the red LED lit up continuously.

PING Test:

Another test using 9v battery:

Thanks everyone for your many suggestions and input, I appreciate it. It helped me kept going, learning, and interested.

Now, if I could just decode what that message on the terminal means...

Thanks,
    jav
  • Parallax, well done and good luck on this laser ping module. I expect it will extend the range of the robust, easy-to-use and well-respected ultrasonic ping and become as popular in time.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-11-26 00:24
    javelin wrote:
    Are there any "leaked" info on these laser PINGs; eg, max range, acceptance angle, and operating temperature range?
    Based upon the photo that Ken posted, I'm just guessing that it uses this sensor. If true, the range is around two meters, with an accuracy that varies from 4% to 12%. Operating temperature range is -20 to +70 degrees C. This still keeps the ultrasonic Ping))) in the game for apps that require a longer range.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the chip, nothing I've said above applies.

-Phil
  • @Phil Pilgrim, how would a Laser PING dovetail with the Ultra Sound PING and Infrared in practice? For example, US and IR compliment each other very nicely, since the one does hard surface and the other soft surface better; one is absorbed more by darker surfaces, the other works with those better, etc.

With your expertise, where would you say the laser plays into all that? Thanks for sharing your insight!
  • Leave it to Parallax to offer some more real cool products.