Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Whiteboard Deal — Parallax Forums

Whiteboard Deal

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2017-11-21 08:08 in Robotics
Just bought some nice big 2'x3' whiteboards from Lowe's to use for a "reMARK-able" line follower track for Maker Faire. They're $7, marked down from $10. Thicker than most at 0.193", nice & stiff. Could make a standalone table by adding two ribs, some legs, and an extruded edge guard. Good for robot clubs, scouts, schools, etc.

Alternatively, you could also use them as whiteboards. :)

Matt Gilliland made several gorgeous big display/play tables for the 2012 Parallax Robot expo, this material would be perfect for the 2018 event. Are we still on track for that, Ken? When izzit? Got hats? :)

Comments

• Whiteboards are also great for Scribbling. To fit the Scribbler/S2/S3, almost any whiteboard marker can be wrapped with masking tape at an appropriate height.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Excellent point, IIRC Whit posted several videos of various Scribblers on whiteboards. If there was a way to draw a fat dark line, it would be interesting to send out a Scribbler to draw a path, then have various line followers chase it.

To destruction, with flamethrowers, of course. :)
  • Erco, can you fit these inside of the new Leaf (or Prius)?

2018 event. What kind of activities / fellowship / sharing would you enjoy at such a gathering?

Ken Gracey
    edited 2017-11-21 03:37
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Erco, can you fit these inside of the new Leaf (or Prius)?
    Easily!
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    2018 event. What kind of activities / fellowship / sharing would you enjoy at such a gathering?
    Anything and everything! Your 2012 event was spectacular and set the bar high, even with torrents of rain that first day. Even a smaller 2-day event would be great. If you're seriously open to suggestion, start a new thread asking that question to the forumistas. What would take to get Whit & Mike & Martin & Keith & John & Tommy & Rich & Andy & Jon & Gordon & Buck & Phil & Rayman & DrPop & Duane & Publison & Carol & Jeff & localroger & xanadu & heater & Amanda & Jim (and everyone else who's smarter than me, I left out so many) to come to Rocklin. Pick a date with enough advance notice to let people plan their Parallax pilgrimage.

I'll make it there, even if it takes me 3 days of recharging every 75 miles in my Leaf.

• That's the problem - we set a high bar back in 2012! You guys remember it fondly. And the local StayBridge Suites manager still tells me we had the best-behaved group of guests ever. He must be comparing you to the people who came for the gun and doll show, the bowling competition, or maybe the roller derby. I'm not sure. But yes, we're thinking about the possibility.

Ken Gracey
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-11-21 03:53
    Please, just make it during the cool months. I wouldn't even mind crossing the Siskiyous with chains, if it came to that, as I did in 2006.

Last time I drove down there (in June?), I came back via Red Bluff. It was HOT!!! I mean freaking SCORCHING! When I got home, the foot well in front of the passenger seat was piled to the seat top with empty water bottles! (No chance I'll ever get the 240D's A/C fixed. It's toast.)

-Phil
    The only change I'd suggest to your 2012 event to have several contests, each simpler than the Line Follower Open. :) Carol can make suggestions based on Robothon. And consider student, open, and pro categories to keep things interesting.

I also think a Robot Talent/Variety Show would be cool. Non-competitive, just let people demonstrate their bots on a stage. Schedule robots all weekend long. Spectators can watch Live as much as they want, but ultimately Parallax would edit a heckuva video together and host it on Parallax.com.

Flamethrowers optional.

• Please, just make it during the cool months. I wouldn't even mind crossing the Siskiyous with chains, if it came to that, as I did in 2006.

Last time I drove down there (in June?), I came back via Red Bluff. It was HOT!!! I mean freaking SCORCHING! When I got home, the foot well in front of the passenger seat was piled to the seat top with empty water bottles! (No chance I'll ever get the 240D's A/C fixed. It's toast.)

-Phil

You still have that thing? You're living large, Phil. I don't know many people who own a Mercedes Benz!

Ken Gracey

edited 2017-11-21 04:05
    No chance I'll ever get the 240D's A/C fixed. It's toast.

You guys all need a Leaf or other EV, just for a local runabout. They are dirt cheap, and they are so cool to drive for electro geeks like us. Every mile is more interesting than in any ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) car. You still need an ICE car for long trips, but an EV is a great second car. And yes, you can blast the A/C and heat if you want to reduce your range!

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-11-21 04:22
    Ken Gracey wrote:
    You still have that thing? You're living large, Phil. I don't know many people who own a Mercedes Benz!
    That "thing" has nearly 300K miles on it. It's part of my Teutonic DNA.

Friends have encouraged me to ditch it in favor of a Subaru SUV. And, being an old diesel, it's polluting as all get-out [edit: cleaned up language]. But this is my third Mercedes diesel and the best one yet. As I have explained to friends and acquaintances alike, I'm doing the environment a favor by driving it. If someone else owned it, they'd take much better care of it; and it would last long enough to foul the air for decades to come. In my carefree possession, its days are surely numbered.

Yet, it shows no signs of imminent demise ...

-Phil
  • erco wrote: »
    ...I'll make it there, even if it takes me 3 days of recharging every 75 miles in my Leaf.

If you want, leave the Leaf happily charging down here in SoCal and I'll drive you up in the Rover. We'll burn some serious fuel for this event! :lol:
    I'd be all in for a Parallax adventure. Please just give us enough warning so Kim can keep the schedule clear of patients those days and we'll be set.
  • I might be able to have something in the demonstration category. Not necessarily a robot but definitely programmed.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2017-11-21 15:32
    All I would need, besides money to pay for my train fair to Sacramento, and back, would be someone to meet me at the train station there. And of course a good place to stay. Obviously parts to maintain what I bring in case it needs help are already taken care of.....

Next up: What to bring, and what would it do. I've been musing about a "first bot" design who follows the themes behind the BOE Bot design and indeed uses a board, and programming, but wears an aluminum frame to hold the servos and a certain type of wheel. And of course the board. There, that's the category name right there.

Perhaps that would make a great Winter project......

Okay Ken the ball's in your court. I can't imagine why it looks like a gaggle of the ones used for that dangerous game of dodge ball.

EDIT: Thank you for thinking of this 500 year old man, erco.

The fire rises, Brothers!