Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keep me signed in. No, really. I mean it. — Parallax Forums

Keep me signed in. No, really. I mean it.

localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
edited 2017-11-17 03:56 in General Discussion
I have "keep me signed in" checked in FireFox but about once a month I find myself logged out and I have to go rooting through my box of passwords to remember the last one I used here (because, of course, we can't use the same one everywhere). Parallax Forums ain't my bank account, folks. Other discussion forums have managed to keep me logged in for years on end so I know it's possible. Please fix this.

Comments

• I've noticed the same issue with my account. But I have an easy-to-remember password that's exclusive to the Parallax forums, so it's but a minor inconvenience. I do wish I hadn't picked such a long userid, though. At least the sign-in doesn't require me to capitalize anything. :)

-Phil
  • If it's your own private computer, you can have your browser remember your password, and it takes about half a second just to click login. I wouldn't recommend that with a bank account login, but that's what I do for something like a Parallax forum.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Not sure about how Firefox behaves but as you may have noticed my Chrome browsers have kept me logged in for many years now. On multiple machines at home, in the office etc.

Hmm...may be I'll try giving the new Firefox 57 a spin for a while, for a change.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    DrPop is right, there is no need to remember passwords for any low security site. The browser can store them all for you and all you have to do click login and it's done.
    In fact it's so easy I always logout again when I'm done.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I'm getting logged out too occasionally. On one machine the browser remembers the login for me. On another (another machine) it doesn't, possibly because I clicked the wrong thing the first time it asked.. I've since gone deep into 'advanced' in the browser to 'clear out' that choice, but it still doesn't want to remember.
    On my Android tablet it doesn't want to remember at all, probably because of the non-standard login box.
    So yes, it's an unnecessary inconvenience that we suddenly get logged out now and then.
    What you guys are probably seeing is the session cookie is getting deleted from your browser cache ... or the cookie has an expiry. The stay logged in "feature" is really an abuse of cookies and shouldn't be done at all.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    The method isn't important. What's important is that this forum is logging us out occasionally (seems random though - it's not e.g. once per month - it varies.) And other forums, in general, don't.
  • @Evanh is on to something. And it could also be development work on the hosting servers, with reboots or reconfigs causing the session database to be refreshed. There's a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment. ;)

A tip mentioned already- I've been using the browser login/password memory feature with great success for these sorts of websites.

Will let IT know about this thread, in case something's not as expected.
  • All this talk of cookies and I'm getting hungry.
  • Oddly enough I've been seeing the same strange behavior. That of having to log back in. And it only happens perhaps once a week.

And my password wasn't selected by me, but by the bright guy in IT who's job it was to get the first Forum working properly, shortly after we moved here from Yahoo. Roughly the same name as a Doctor Who companion in fact...
  • Anybody else just experience the unwanted signoff today? I was wondering if this phenomenon is random or some sort of a timed "sign everybody off" situation.

Mike R...
    I have been signed in continuously for days now.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    I have been signed in continuously for days now.

Same here, at least for 11 days.
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2017-11-26 17:22
    OK, this may be random then. The "auto sign off" bug (feature?) affects me every 3 weeks or so.

Mike R...

A thought after posting: Perhaps it has something to do with Chrome or whatever browser in use auto updates in the background?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    As infrequent and benign as this problem is I think it can probably be ignored. It certainly does not bother me.
  • kwinn wrote:
    As infrequent and benign as this problem is I think it can probably be ignored. It certainly does not bother me.
    Same here. It happens, but not often enough to be annoying.

-Phil
  • kwinn wrote: »

You are quite correct. I keep my password list on a hopefully well secured mobile device so no issue in the big scheme of things.

-Mike R...

Don't worry about your password. There is no security on this forum. All the world knows what your password here is.
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2017-11-27 22:52
    Heater. wrote: »
    Don't worry about your password. There is no security on this forum. All the world knows what your password here is.
    Yes, for sure. That's precisely why I actually follow most of the rules for password generation and maintenance. If only my one employer didn't allow the mandated 3 month PW changes to be just "one" digit off... Luckily, it's extremely trivial access to an extremely trivial matter. If a hacker wants to see my work schedule, well, OK. :-)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    The problem with regular forced password changes are us users. When forced, the common theme is to add either an incrementing numeric or the date. Once the base password is uncovered it's an easy guess to find the current password.

I have varying password security, depending on the site. Forums get a simpler password group name than any account that involves purchases or money.

I love my fingerprint on my iPhone and am looking forward to a new face recognition iPhone ;)
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    The problem with regular forced password changes are us users. When forced, the common theme is to add either an incrementing numeric or the date. Once the base password is uncovered it's an easy guess to find the current password.
    Precisely. It's one of those concepts that is a wonderful idea until you add actual human nature to the equation.