Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The P8X Game System — Parallax Forums

The P8X Game System

maccamacca Posts: 718
edited 2017-11-16 16:39 in Customer Projects
Hello,

I present you the project I'm working on for quite some time: the P8X Game System, a dual-propeller based game console. It is a combination of an hardware platform and an open source integrated development environment based on propellergcc aimed at developing retro-style games.

The libraries currently supports a number of video modes, including PAL, NTSC and VGA at various resolutions, up to 320x240 pixels, with 4 or 16 colors per pixel, RGB+sync only.
I'm attaching some images of the console prototype, schematics and IDE screenshot, so you can have a taste of what it is already done.

I have also setup a web site with more details, source code and downloads:
https://dev.maccasoft.com/propgame

I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

Have fun!
Marco

Comments

• impressive

I like the idea of storing the games on a cartridge, it brings back great memories of gaming in Atari VCS days
  • Well done!!

It's good to see propgcc get more attention with another well done project!
  • Hi,

@macca

i ported PROPTRIS v1.0 for your P8X Game System. :lol:

here to find:

http://www.ws-nbg.de/p8x/main.php

Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany

Bye,
    Werner

• How did you do the port? I didn't realize it was actually possible to buy the P8X Game System yet.
  • zx81vgazx81vga Posts: 56
    edited 2016-05-23 14:31
    Hi,
    @David Betz

I use the Schematic from macca and build my own.
    (Without 128K external RAM).

I ported my PROPTRIS (1 Propeller) to P8X Game System.

http://propeller.ws-nbg.de/main.php My PROPTRIS

http://www.ws-nbg.de/p8x/main.php P8X PROPTRIS

Bye,
    Werner
  • That's what I was afraid you were going to say. :-)
    It looks like a fairly easy build but I think I'll wait until Macca at least offers a PCB.
  • Hi Propellerfriends,

I have a new Game for the P8X Game System :smile:

PROPTRIS4TWO v1.0

Retro Tetris for 2 Player

ws-nbg.de/p8x/main.php

proptris4two_3.png

also a new Version of P8X PROPTRIS (1 Player)

Now 640x480 Resolution

Bye,
    Werner
  • zx81vgazx81vga Posts: 56
    edited 2016-06-27 11:56
    Hi Propellerfriends,

a new Game for the P8X Game System :lol:

SOKOBAN v1.0

p8x_sokoban_1.png

p8x_sokoban_2.png

ws-nbg.de/p8x/main.php

Bye,
    Werner

• Hi!

I have some boards available for anyone interested.

The boards are built with common through hole components except for the edge connector and joystick that I think are not so common, so I have prepared this package as a starter:

p8x-pcbs.png

1 main board + card edge connector
    1 controller board + mini joystick
    2 cartridge boards

The total price is Euro 36.00 + Euro 10.00 for shipping.

Variations are possible but I can't send full kits.
    Schematics and parts lists are available on the web site https://dev.maccasoft.com/propgame

Contact me with a private message for the details.

Enjoy,
    Marco.
    475 x 251 - 75K
  • Two games recently added:

Alter Ego

alterego_screen.png

Alter Ego is a unique platform puzzle game, players will use their alter ego to swap position, collect pixels, and solve levels. There are 25 levels in the game.

Lode Runner

loderunner_screen.png

Lode Runner is a remake of the classic PC/Apple II/C64 game of the same name. The player controls a character who must collect all the gold in a level while avoiding guards who try to catch him. After collecting all the gold, the player must travel to the top of the screen to reach the next level. There are 50 levels in the game which progressively challenge players' problem-solving abilities or reaction times.

Both were ported from Uzebox sources.

Enjoy!
    320 x 240 - 4K
    320 x 240 - 4K
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    @Macca,

I just want to say that you have done a tremendous work with this project. Hardware wise a very simple but still powerful (from a Propeller perspective) dual MCU design. And your IGDE (Integrated Game Development Environment), including the default libraries, are awesome. :)

I'm designing my own PCB to get started developing some cool games for it!

/Johannes
  • I got mine upp and running now.
    Had it from macca some time ago but just now got the time to build it.
    its a neat little system and i really enjoy it.
    Now of tho make some games..
    And i am working on a 3d printed case design for the console to give it a nice home :-)
  • 10 projects added today.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Great project, I super dig Retro Gaming setups. I am a big fan of Joust; could any game be ported from Uzebox?
  • JD wrote: »
    Great project, I super dig Retro Gaming setups. I am a big fan of Joust; could any game be ported from Uzebox?

Yes, I wrote a compatibility layer that allows to port games from Uzebox almost unchanged. It is limited to mode 3 and mode 1 and the graphics needs a bit of conversion because Uzebox uses 256 colors instead of 64. Alterego, Loderunner, TankFu, Spaceinvaders and Pacman are all ports from Uzebox.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2017-11-16 20:34
    Yes, I wrote a compatibility layer that allows to port games from Uzebox almost unchanged. It is limited to mode 3 and mode 1 and the graphics needs a bit of conversion because Uzebox uses 256 colors instead of 64. Alterego, Loderunner, TankFu, Spaceinvaders and Pacman are all ports from Uzebox.

That is excellent; the only games i've played on the Prop have been through the Hydra gaming setup, and that was minimal. I will have to check out Uzebox as well. :)