Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dear Chuck, — Parallax Forums

Dear Chuck,

I started a Twitter account just for this purpose... but now my Twitter account has been locked, since I don't want to give them my phone number:)

Chip now knows how to do things that Ken cannot afford.
The stresses on both must be enormous, and it doesn't have to be this way.

Money is never the real problem. The problem is always something else.

There was a discussion over in the P2 forum about 28nm fabrication, which is way out of budget. BUT while dreaming about it, Chip came up with some rather amazing performance statistics.

I know that this idea has been considered, but the time has come: Parallax should go public.

A white paper will cost less than $25k. The rest will be history.

Rich

Comments

• I don't think Chip would ever agree to that.
  • Ugh. That would change the whole dynamic of the company. Parallax beholden to their stockholders instead of their customers? Total non-starter!

-Phil
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Jon,

We'll see.

If you were Chip... would you?

I'm hoping Chuck will look into it.

Rich

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2017-10-31 04:04
    Phil,

I just don't see it that way. Imagine having a huge pile of $ dumped in your lap... with the proviso that you didn't have to pay it back... ever. You don't have to pay dividends and you don't have to worry about the stock tanking unless you own a bunch of it:)

The first round of investors has to be "qualified."
    What they are betting on is that if money is no object, the creative output will be unlimited. A fair bet.

What the world needs new answers... Chip has some of them.

Nothing should be wasted.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-10-31 04:42
    rjo___

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Going public would be a disaster for Parallax and for their customers. Moreover, the free support they get from their loyal forumistas would probably evaporate overnight, and I would be among the first to leave. Loyalty to the Gracey family and to their amazing current business practices runs deeper than you, apparently, can possibly imagine. So please put that horrendous thought out of your mind.

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    rjo___

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Going public would be a disaster for Parallax and for their customers. Moreover, the free support they get from their loyal forumistas would probably evaporate overnight, and I would be among the first to leave. Loyalty to the Gracey family and to their amazing current business practices runs deeper than you, apparently, can possibly imagine. So please put that horrendous thought out of your mind.

-Phil
    +1
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2017-10-31 05:35
    It's a flattering compliment you think we have that potential I guess.

I certainly don't need more stress regardless of the benefits. At that stage it would be a blessing to be replaced in the first clock cycle with the new guard.

Even if we wanted an IPO we really couldn't qualify. We have a one-person design team who focuses exclusively on the engineering aspects, not the business details. While we may think "yeah, of course that's the way it should be done" investors absolutely demand proper roadmaps, customer, concept, marketing plan, etc. And how would they handle the recent code protect kerfuffle and past P2s that didn't fit in their britches? It's touch and go sometimes around here.

We're a bit mom-and-pop. I'm not sure who's the mom and pop though. . .

Speaking of IPOs, I'm using a fairly simple cloud-based customer management tool with our new Sales Person (Kate Hay, you will meet her soon). There's not much to this tool and it just makes the process of tracking customer inquiries really efficient. This particular company making the software just received $56M in funding. AND THEY STILL CAN'T PICK UP THE PHONE!

Ken Gracey
  • rjo__ wrote: »
    ...you don't have to worry about the stock tanking unless you own a bunch of it:)...

I'm sorry if I'm rude, but your comment is callous at best.

For a public company, you (as an corporate officer) have a fiduciary duty to protect the stock's value.

If I invest in a company it's with the expectation that they will do everything reasonable to protect (and hopefully grow) my investment. Yes, companies fail for various reasons. That's why stock investing is a gamble. But it's not a fantasy football league, it's someone's (or my) money.

Ken & Chip already have their hands full without having to worry about investor lawsuits and the like.

Never mind the additional financial reporting requirements for a public company.

I speak from experience, having worked for a small company that was funded by a VC. VC's invest for ROI, not for charity. And having worked for another small company where management didn't understand the concept of retained earnings. I lost 10's of thousands in retirement stock because of their lack of knowledge of accounting policies and procedures.

Parallax, please stay the course. Stay private.

Walter
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    You know, Chuck is Chip and Ken's dad.

A wonderful old chap and an engineer himself.

I don't think he would go for this going public idea at all.

But, hypothetically speaking, anyone investing in Parallax and hence gaining control would immediately cut any projects that do not make money or have little perceived chance of doing so in the near future.

That would be the end of the P2 on day one.

And shortly after the end of Parallax.

Perhaps Ken and Chip would end up with a ton of money after such investment. But I'm very sure that is not what drives them.

• rjo__ wrote: »

I know that this idea has been considered, but the time has come: Parallax should go public.

A white paper will cost less than $25k. The rest will be history.

Rich

If I had not discovered the BS2 kit in a RadioShack store I would never have learned how much I love to program.
    Once the VC's began circling it was just a matter of time before RadioShack went belly up.
  • Public is a mistake.
  • To be true the whole concept of going public and the stock market is, in its current form, a big mistake, not just for Parallax, but - hmm - more general looked at for all of it.

Anyways,

Mike
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2017-11-01 02:30
    ^
    When money is owned and printed by a structure that you don't own control, and have no say in, but someone does (look up the federal reserve and its investors)

Then, if any company goes "public" its only a matter of time before one/all of the federal reserve investors(these are families and dynasties now) buy it up and control,
    yet another company. (or one of their minions)

Innovation is a sin.
    Competition is a sin.
    Ownership is a sin.
    Resistance is a sin.
    We are the Federal Reserve, Resistance is Futile.
    We will buy it all, and sell it back to you at exponential cost, with exponential quality reduction.

Digression? Naw, just sayin, the financial structure dosen't work anymore.
    Everything it touches turns to death.

Happy Halloween, btw.
    Dark-grim-reaper-skull-death-evil-halloween-4-Sizes-Home-Decor-Canvas-Poster-Print.jpg
  • Public? I believe it would be Parallax's customers that would pay the ultimate price if that were to take place. I will start polishing up the old crystal ball to see what the future holds for this Great Company.