Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Blitz Wanted Urgent! — Parallax Forums

SX Blitz Wanted Urgent!

Will pay $20 for one plus USPS $5-6 to ship.

Using Prop now but just want to dabble with SX occasionally.

Let's put a 'Stake in heart' for this and move on.

Like the Halloween tie in there? :smile:

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-10-28 22:39
    erco offered one, I think for free. Why don't you take him up on it.

• Publison

Yes. For free will work too.

PMed him. Have not heard back from him.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Who said free? Not me!

Sorry microcontrolleruser, didn't realize you were on a crash schedule. I'll try to find that stuff this afternoon. Think I have an SX Key and some SX chips/board, will advise if I find them.

• Erco

Take your time.

The no response just made me wonder.

Thanks!

Publison said free.

We can give you something for them.
  • Erco

Take your time.

The no response just made me wonder.

Thanks!

Publison said free.

We can give you something for them.

I said I THINK for free. I do not speak for erco.

• microcontrolleruser,

I'm not sure why you're going to such an effort to develop on a micro that's reached its end-of-life. IOW it's obsolete. There are no more of them being produced. Much better, methinks, to put all of your effort into programming the Propeller.

-Phil

• Publison

You're in the clear.

Keep in mind Iconstructix sells leftover SX-Keys brand new for $59.95

We'll see how much of a warm spot Erco has in his heart for a fellow forum member. :smile:

• Phil

Just want to see what SX is like.

There is still enough info around to make it useful.

You want to talk obsolete and hard to do anything with.

PIC 16C devices. It's doable but only for the zealot.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    microcontrolleruser,

I'm not sure why you're going to such an effort to develop on a micro that's reached its end-of-life. IOW it's obsolete. There are no more of them being produced. Much better, methinks, to put all of your effort into programming the Propeller.

-Phil

Basically I agree with you, but keep in mind that there are still folks out there building and programming 8080/Z80's, 6502's, etc, Sometimes it's about the challenge, or nostalgia, or just plain curiosity.
  • kwinn,

The difference is that Z80 derivatives and 6502s are still produced. The SX is not.

-Phil

• I have been looking at Z80 and 8051.

Will have to just see how it's different but use a PIC or SX.

Would like to see what changes PIC made to the Z80 and 8051 approach.

Looking at MSP 430 too.

The advantages of the three are it is one device for each.

• I will buy a FORD truck and start working on it to learn how to fix Cars, No a Dodge, ahh and I want to learn to fix Mercedes Benz and Jaguars also. And Teslas, definitive Teslas, but Triumph makes nice cars also so I need a manual how to work on FIATS and VW engines, but I really want to know how the GMC Suburban changed the way Porsche build their cars and why lucas had that three way light switch - OFF - FLICKER - DIM.

Honestly @microcontrolleruser, how about concentrating on ONE of this goals until you understand how VW beetle engines work before starting to work on Teslas, Ferraries and Caterpillars?

There are as much assembler languages out there as MCUs/CPUs every one is different, every one is bound to its chip and - SURE - they have common things, like a beetle has bolts and nuts like a Mercedes (metric) while American cars now have imperial and metric bolts.

Programming is a fascinating skill, I do it since age of 12. And every time I needed to switch languages, processors, Operating systems, I had to start from the scratch.

Sure there are common concepts, there is some overall knowledge you can archive about programming in general, transferrable to other systems, BUT you will find out about this commonness in decades not weeks.

Because you need to DO the programming to learn the rules, misfits, fits and funny things of each approach. Not just reading a tutorial how to blink a LED, get a PE-Kit and stick it on a breadboard. Wire things. Run them. Read and try to understand the manuals and datasheets. Not just glance over them and type a 10 line example to verify that what is written there works.

Learning skills is a hard, tedious and time taking experience, just talking about it - hmm - is just talking about it and you will NEVER succeed.

Your complete approach to this is simply wrong, and even if experienced people give you advice, you seem to not want to listen.

you simply waste your (and others) time and will learn NOTHING if you do not DO it.

Mike