Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NXP new realtime 600Mhz ARM, loaded with fetures for $5.60 — Parallax Forums

NXP new realtime 600Mhz ARM, loaded with fetures for $5.60

tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
edited 2017-10-23 20:05 in General Discussion
20ns interrupt latency, 600MHZ ARM A7, two usb ports, 1 Ethernet.
No internal Flash, uses any size external 8/16bit.
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/NXP PDFs/I.MXRT1050_Fact_Sheet_Web.pdf

Low cost version probably don't included Mulimedia block.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nxp-usa-inc/MIMXRT1052DVL6A/568-13515-ND/7646297

This really is a cross over MCU/CPU, probably easier for baremetal programming than Pi.
And until in stock the $5.60 may be for over 240 units.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    tonyp12,
    This really is a cross over MCU/CPU, probably easier for baremetal programming than Pi.
    Why?

I'm sure the 3000 page instruction set manual is about the same. And the whatever thousand page description of the hardware registers.

No MMU as far as I see, so Linux, so no "cross-over" there.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2017-10-23 21:12
    It's a MCU with some of the features of a CPU, so not crossing over to Linux.
    It got 96KB of ROM, so probably a nice set of API/SDK in there that is close to a operating system in features.

4layer board for being BGA is DIY friendly.
    If your product need a 800x480 display, but Linux/Pi is overkill I think this chip fits right in.

An MCU does of course have a CPU so I'm not sure what you mean there.

It sounds great and all. I'm sure it has the right mix of features for somebody somewhere.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    20ns interrupt latency, 600MHZ ARM A7, two usb ports, 1 Ethernet.
    No internal Flash, uses any size external 8/16bit.
    And until in stock the $5.60 may be for over 240 units.

Interesting, 196BGA 10x10mm and 512K RAM with OTG, HS/FS x2

another DOC claims this

"Highest performing ARM® Lowest-priced Cortex-M7 solution in the market at <$3 for 10K quantity"

That may be for the smaller sibling, i.MXRT1020 ? (256k vs 512 RAM, and no Graphics, but 100tqfp)
    and also
    "High security enabled by AES-128 cryptography, high assurance boot (HAB), TRNG and on-the-fly QSPI flash decryption"

Imagine one of those on a Board, next to a P2 :)

jmg,
    Imagine one of those on a Board, next to a P2
    I'm trying.

So far I'm seeing that nobody would know what to do with it.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I'd rather a 1GHz P1 with 1+MB HUB RAM and some internal FLASH. 32 I/O would be fine. I'd even forgo ADC. ;)
    How awesome would that be.

A 1GHz Propeller 1. A megabyte of HUB RAM. In a 68000 style 64 pin DIP package. With as many I/O as that allows.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2017-10-24 00:42
    ... and here is another one... a nudge lower in MHz, but also starts at 100 TQFP

http://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers/stm32h7x3.html

The STM32H753 is in production now, priced $8.90 for orders or 10,000 pieces.

Claims

"At 400 MHz fCPU, the STM32H743/753 lines deliver 2020 CoreMark /856 DMIPS performance executing from Flash memory, with 0-wait states thanks to its L1 cache. The DSP instructions and the double-precision FPU enlarge the range of addressable applications. External memory can be used with no performance penalty thanks to the L1 cache (16 Kbytes +16 Kbytes of I-cache and D-cache)."

"Audio: Two dedicated audio PLLs, three full-duplex I²S interfaces, a new serial audio interface (SAI) supporting time-division multiplex (TDM) mode and a DFSDM (Digital filters for sigma-delta modulators or MEMS microphone).
    Up to 35 communication interfaces including
    four USARTs in addition to four UARTs running at up to 12.5 Mbit/s, one low-power UART,
    six SPIs running at up to 100 Mbit/s,
    four I²C interfaces running at up to 1 MHz with a new optional digital filter capability,
    two FD-CAN,
    two SDIO,
    USB 2.0 full-speed device/host/OTG controller with an on-chip PHY and a
    USB 2.0 high-speed/full-speed device/host/OTG controller, on-chip full-speed PHY and ULPI,
    Ethernet MAC,
    SPDIF-IN,
    HDMI-CEC, camera interface,
    single wire protocol interface and
    MDIO slave.
    Analog: Two 12-bit DACs, three fast ADCs reaching 16-bit maximum resolution (3.6 Msamples/s),
    22 16- and 32-bit timers running at up to 400 MHz on the 16-bit high-resolution timer.
    Easily extendable memory range using the flexible memory controller with a 32-bit parallel interface, and supporting Compact Flash, SRAM, PSRAM, NOR, NAND and SDRAM memories or using the Dual-mode Quad-SPI to allow code execution from external serial Flash memory.
    An analog true random number generator.
    The STM32H7x3 line provides from 1 to 2 Mbytes of Flash memory, 1 Mbyte of SRAM with a scattered architecture: 192 Kbytes of TCM RAM (including 64 Kbytes of ITCM RAM and 128 Kbytes of DTCM RAM for time-critical routines and data), 512 Kbytes, 288 Kbytes and 64 Kbytes of user SRAM, and 4 Kbytes of SRAM in backup domain to keep data in the lowest power modes and 100- to 240-pin packages in BGA and LQFP profiles.

The STM32H753 integrates a crypto/hash processor providing hardware acceleration for AES-128, -192 and -256 encryption, with support for GCM and CCM, Triple DES, and hash (MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-2) algorithms."
    Where are we going with all these ARM SoC variant examples?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2017-10-24 03:09
    That ARM would be better if it was simple like a P1. All those hundreds of registers to conquer before you write a single line of useful code. Then the ram is dissected, and some then goes to caches. I'd just rather a simple fast micro, even if it has wait states when executing from flash. Easy enough to copy flash to ram for faster code.

1GHz COGs could do some really fast interfaces !!!!
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2017-10-24 03:55
    There are no poking in registers anymore,
    There is a Low-level peripheral library provided by manufacture, so same code works on many different version of their families of mcu.
    hello world (blinking a LED) on SiLabs EFM32:

#include "em_gpio.h"
    GPIO_PinModeSet(gpioPortC,10, gpioModePushPull, 0);
    GPIO_PinOutToggle(gpioPortC,10);

emlib documentation:
    https://siliconlabs.github.io/Gecko_SDK_Doc/efm32zg/html/group__emlib.html
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    The ESP32 is in the same performance category, with
    - 2 cores, 240 MHz each
    - +1 lowpower core
    - +1 Floatingpoint unit
    - 520 kB Ram
    - Bluetooth and WiFi on chip
    - external Flash for code up to 16 Mbytes
    - alot of peripherals (I2S, Led/Motor-PWM, DACs, ADCs ..)
    - Modules with additional 4 MByte RAM chip
    - Espressif is much more open than all these ARM companies
    (they even ask in the forum what you want to see on next chip)
    - Arduino IDE programmable if you want

available since more than a year
    price as low as 2.75 $ in single quantities

Many cheap modules and DevKits available