Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a cheap SERIAL character OLED or 7-seg LED display ... — Parallax Forums

Looking for a cheap SERIAL character OLED or 7-seg LED display ...

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2017-10-18 02:11 in General Discussion
It needs to have a reliable multi-year source and be less than 35 mm x 35 mm. in total size. Internal screen buffering is a must. Number of characters is not a factor. Four (with decimal points) would be enough, although more are definitely welcome.

Interface can be async, SPI, or I2C.

Ideas?

Thanks,
-Phil

Comments

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2017-10-18 17:12
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13003
    Probably more reliable than aliexpress when it comes to longterm availability.

Or this USA based company:
    https://www.crystalfontz.com/c/oled-displays/29
  • Seconding the Sparkfun suggestion. They are very good about keeping their breakouts available as long as they can still get the source items. I've used their DS1307 breakout in some industrial projects.
  • You mentioned "reliable long term source". Phil, you and I both know that's a request that nobody can meet :)

The OLED we carry has been a reliable, long-term supply. But like most of these parts, it's probably based on cell phone overstock from prior production runs. I'd be happy to connect you directly to the supplier.

Ken Gracey
  • And I'm assigning a third to that. I use their FTDI ones repeatedly. They also have amazing support, that rivals here. However their only problem is that their forums aren't staffed by their employees. That is there the forums don't have any there, but they do here.

Ironic isn't it? Oh and at one time they were a reseller for Parallax Prop items. I won't go into details concerning FTDI and here.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-10-19 01:40
    kgracey wrote:
    You mentioned "reliable long term source". Phil, you and I both know that's a request that nobody can meet.
    Ken, thankfully, Parallax has been able to meet that request over the years despite, perhaps, a reluctance to do so. Even though you're not really geared to be an OEM supplier, you've managed to be over-the-top accommodating. For that, I am eternally grateful!

I think it's a truism that the more integrated a product is, the less one can rely upon its availability long-term. For long-term reliability, it's best to design in multi-sourced jelly-bean components and do the integration yourself. But what if you only need hundreds, rather than thousands? 'Seems like a lose-lose proposition, unless your customer can stand a significant mark-up for low-volume custom assembly.
    kgracey wrote:
    The OLED we carry has been a reliable, long-term supply. But like most of these parts, it's probably based on cell phone overstock from prior production runs. I'd be happy to connect you directly to the supplier.
    Thanks, Ken! Although I'm not optimistic, I'll follow any lead at this point.

-Phil
  • Sharp memory LCD might be an option.
    Small sizes, check.
    Retains pixel display between updates, check. (at microamps current, if it matters)
    Sharp has them in distribution, however, some earlier models have been dropped.
    Cheap? Not. Future Electronics usually has the best domestic prices but they are showing zero stock.