Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PBASIC IDEs (assorted) — Parallax Forums

PBASIC IDEs (assorted)

Hello!
I recently rearranged the area I work in, and found that I would probably need to put the stamp tools, and oddly the calculator support (TI TI-83Plus device.), on the earlier machine that I also own. That's a Dell Dimension XPS T600R system.

And the big surprise is that on my folder of BASIC Stamp stuff is the first one, that's the DOS based one most of us got started with, complete with the three connectors for the Stamp 1 or the Stamp, himself. The first one for Windows, probably that pest Windows 95, and then the one for Windows 98. And finally the one which supports XP and probably Seven, which I use on this laptop.

I know which I started with, of course and the problems with trying to get a custom cable to work, and then the fun of making the others work via a serial function. Mike since you're going to ask, this is when the company announced the adapter dongle that is used on the Stamp 1 device.

Comments

• And since no one is asking, it is where am I going with this, as it happens, I've gotten my "first machine" assembled again and running. That is the BASIC Stamp 2 receiving input from a Netduino as it bit bangs a PAL chip.

The stamp was programmed via the IDE running on the Dell Dimension unit. The Netduino obviously on this laptop.

I also confirmed that the whole business works by resurrecting an old favorite, that of the Stamp working with the TI calculator. And of course that worked. Since the author of the original programs suggested using that as a basis for a control panel of sorts, suffice to say that's almost next....
  • And while I'm still pursuing the idea behind the calculator and the stamp, the idea of having them minding a setup of those two, is off the table.
  • However In examining the collection of BASIC code that I'd manage to accumulate from other sources, I came across some oddities.

One is a program designed to talk to an HP calculator, such as the HP-48G model. I can't find any notation in the code for both devices as to who wrote them, which is odd, but not surprising.

Still another is the program code for the Stamp 1 to talk to the Dallas Semiconductor RTC, the DS1302 model. There's also an application note available, which is included who shows Stamp 2 code. Oddly enough Jon it seems as if you were the author for the Stamp 1 code for that gizmo.
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2017-10-18 13:48
    Buck

Some TI calculators are built around Z80's. The graphing calculators have it.Like the TI-83.

EDIT Reread your first post. Looks like you already know that.Oops!

They have download cables to upgrade the operating system so

there's your communication interface.

We have a Z80 evaluation kit here.

I suppose that could be a project.

Communicating between it and a Stamp board.

• Back to your old Basic Stamp Editors.

Some guy has a Basic Stamp 1 Starter Kit for sale right now on Ebay.

Parallel port and Basic Stamp Manual Version 1. Unfortunately he is holding it for ransom.

Your post reminded me that okay say you get that kit.

It will only run on probably Windows 32 bit.Plus the old stamp editor it has is on floppies.

It is an interesting kit though.
  • In answer to both, yes I do. And yes that was my first step. That of attempting to program my first Stamp one via the para port of someone else. It worked after a fashion. Then the famous dongle came out, and I was off to the races.

I still use the Jon translation of the same program concerning a TI calculator to Stamp program.
    viz,
    ' {$STAMP BS1}
    ' {$PBASIC 1.0}

SYMBOL serData = B2

Main:
    DEBUG serData
    SERIN 7, T2400, serData
    DEBUG serData
    serData = serData + 1
    DEBUG serDATA
    SEROUT 7, T2400, (serData)
    DEBUG serDATA
    GOTO Main

Which is what was presented when I asked about it, on the original list who was hosted (and sponsored) on the Yahoo site. It was originally presented as:
    serdata  var  byte

again:
    '*****this will wait for serial from calculator
    serin 15,396,[serdata]

'***this will send it to the pc debug screen
    debug dec serdata, cr

'***this will send the same data plus 1 back to the calculator
    serdata=serdata + 1
    serout 15,396,[serdata]

goto again

And they both work. Of course for the second to work properly I needed to add the same statements, that of changing the stamp type, and the version of Pbasic.

From those it is easy to infer as to why everything stayed around here.
  • Back to your old Basic Stamp Editors.

Some guy has a Basic Stamp 1 Starter Kit for sale right now on Ebay.

Parallel port and Basic Stamp Manual Version 1. Unfortunately he is holding it for ransom.

Your post reminded me that okay say you get that kit.

It will only run on probably Windows 32 bit.Plus the old stamp editor it has is on floppies.

It is an interesting kit though.

Remember,. he's convinced that no one will buy it to use it, because of the supposed scarcity of the systems. All balderdash.

He'll probably be stuck with that hostage however.