Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fake news not going away soon — Parallax Forums

Fake news not going away soon

We have to get our clicking under control, and stop lining these people's pockets.
Fake news creator: 'I don't care' if stories aren't true

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/media/the-macedonia-story/

Comments

• You get what you reward.
    Google rewards clicks, ergo you get click-bait.

• Thanks Gordon for sharing this.
  • Why not? At one point they also sold Parallax Prop One boards.....

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-09-13 23:22
    Some may miss the intended irony. Click bait is a problem when random users can post links in a forum and hide their destination by rewriting the URL tag using some provocative text. The problem is not just Google, or even the Mother-of-All-Fake-News-Enablers, Facebook.

This isn't as much of a problem on the Parallax forum, as the moderators are pretty good at kicking out the spam before too many users see it. But the fact remains that helpful forum software like Vanilla allow anyone to hide a link to an unsavory page. The onus is really up to us to know where were clicking to, and apply a modicum of intelligence once we get there.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    News papers and other traditional media have been profiting from fake news ever since mass media, news papers etc, were invented.

If not outright fake, certainly playing on sensational headlines and biased reporting.

How do you imagine the media barons get so rich? Rupert Murdock, Silvi Berlusconi, Randolph Hurst, Gordon Bennet etc.

So, give those poor Yugoslavian story generators a break.

Political aside: I think for many people the prospect of the current president of the USA ever getting so far seemed so absurd that it became impossible for people to distinguish fact from fiction at a glance. It's all absurd!

• You can fool all of the people some of the time, blah, blah.

I don't believe anything that the media put out. Fake terrorism, fake man-made climate change....all to keep us afraid because religion isn't fooling us anymore.

The only things I watch are Formula One and MotoGP.