Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
prop 2 and a keyboard — Parallax Forums

prop 2 and a keyboard

i understand the prop 2 will have update tv signals.

but what about the human input side...new chip...old keyboards...is that the actual plan?

the keyboards will be worth more than the chip

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    We should be able to use USB keyboards and mice. There is still some testing needed, though.
  • Hi, inthenow1. Welcome to the forum, though perhaps you've been lurking for some time.

Yeah, the P2 should be capable of some improved video, what with its increased speed, expanded memory and additional hardware.

As for the keyboard scene, it looks like garryj and Rayman are making good progress getting low speed and full speed USB working on the P2, and they've tested several human input devices (keyboards/mice). See this USB Testing thread. Such development will likely go even better once P2 development is frozen solid (which could be any day now) and also once actual silicon is at hand.

As for old-style PS/2 keyboards, I'm really glad that I've had no trouble at all getting USB ones that are backwards compatible with the PS/2 protocol.

So it appears that the P2 will support (via software) both USB and PS/2 keyboards (yes, PS/2 keyboards should still be supported by P2 developers due to their simplicity). And I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets a minimal Bluetooth stack going someday that accommodates Bluetooth keyboards on top of USB (similar to what scanlime did with the P1 using a few cogs).

Anyway, thanks for posting. The P2 forum should really kick into high gear (again) as silicon get imminent, so buckle up for the ride.
  • wireless...is: in the now.....usb is as retro as ps2....and it wont work anyway...

this thing needs to talk to a cell phone as easy as a keyboard.

do u all have gray hair? do u use rotary phones.

if it doesnt happen in a year...the cell phone will be retro too.

thats why ur trying to get a chromebook programming interface...ur old...catch up please.

im not a luker...u guys hate my honesty

• inthenow1 wrote: »
    wireless...is: in the now.....usb is as retro as ps2....and it wont work anyway...

thats why ur trying to get a chromebook programming interface...ur old...catch up please.

I think you overestimate yourself. Usually people don't hate each other here, it is a very friendly forum. Nobody will hate you here, even if you obviously think that everybody is a senior and you are the only young one.

I think you are wrong or - hmm -misinformed - if you think USB is going away fast. Same goes for cell-phones.

What sadly is going away is the ability to type complete words and coherent sentences, your post is a good example for this.

Microcontroller based applications are usually not hype driven, but made to solve a problem WITHOUT the need to redo it every 3 month again to adapt to the latest gimmick on Addroid/iPhone/Linux/Windows/younameit.

In the opposite. You do NOT want to upgrade your HVAC controller every time there is a new Debian/Windows/whatever update. You just want it to work for - hmm - 10+ years.

Anyways, welcome to the forum, I hope you are able to learn something here...

Enjoy!

Mike

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    msrobots wrote: »
    inthenow1 wrote: »
    wireless...is: in the now.....usb is as retro as ps2....and it wont work anyway...

I think you overestimate yourself. Usually people don't hate each other here, it is a very friendly forum. Nobody will hate you here, even if you obviously think that everybody is a senior and you are the only young one.

I think you are wrong or - hmm -misinformed - if you think USB is going away fast. Same goes for cell-phones.

What sadly is going away is the ability to type complete words and coherent sentences, your post is a good example for this.........
    .......Anyways, welcome to the forum, I hope you are able to learn something here...

Enjoy!

Mike

Spelling, grammar, and manners? Perhaps a bit too much to expect.
  • awesome...i will save keyboards then....i believe they will take the place of touchscreens and voice recognition soon....

its a simple problem....can a java script and html page be used to create a serial terminal like page....then can it be linked...even if by a slow baud rate using sound or radio waves during bootup

no...it cant. thats because it needs a pc to actually do anything...but the pc already has the keyboard.....cut the wires

• I currently use the Smile out of a cellphone, including having written some code.

Voice / Touch is getting good, but does not yet present as a meaningful replacement for keyboard / mouse. It is however, a lot more useful than it was just a few years ago.

Frankly, most modern cellphones are PCs.

When we get done, a PC will not be required. The P2 has enough resources to boot useful dev tools. That means a number of things:

Serial use terminal, USB, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi to serial comms. Cellphone will do just fine this way.

Native keyboard, mouse / Touch display. Stand alone system.

Standard PC dev tools, or some client / server type arrangement.

The chip itself offers a lot of broad capability. Depending on what people may want to do and how, the boot environment can be designed, as can a board to work how it needs to work.

Personally, I will prefer lean, simple keyboard / mouse / serial / display. Those get me talking to anything. USB is nice, and I'll bet it works fine, but it's heavy. The simpler protocols and cheap hardware adapters rock.

That leaves the intended application and development possible in a lean, clean environment, all on chip if desired.

For your use case, a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi module coupled with a boot image setup to talk is possible, and practical. If you don't want a wire, you won't have to have one once the software tools get done.

And, those people who like wires are golden too.

Still others might just set one up as dev, test, signal, measure station and skip other devices entirely. I'm gonna do that. Won't be my only use, but it's definitely a target. Small, lean bench computer. Over time, there will be a library of simple apps. We have a logic analyzer right now. Good one, all things considered. Signal generate, modest scope, other things reasonable and possible.

The raw chip isn't going to make sense for a lot of cases not involving a product. Dev / test, etc... will be system boards, or a lean module with chip mounted and ready to go.

It's gonna come down to software and whatever modules and or dev system boards make sense. Build on those, however you want, deploy barebones modules, or bare chips on your target board.

• Pretty sure someone will write a USB host for it
    awesome...i will save keyboards then....i believe they will take the place of touchscreens and voice recognition soon....

its a simple problem....can a java script and html page be used to create a serial terminal like page....then can it be linked...even if by a slow baud rate using sound or radio waves during bootup

no...it cant. thats because it needs a pc to actually do anything...but the pc already has the keyboard.....cut the wires
    But it can: https://github.com/eelcocramer/node-bluetooth-serial-port

Next.
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2017-09-13 18:18

awesome...i will save keyboards then....i believe they will take the place of touchscreens and voice recognition soon....

I'm sorry for being somewhat rude, but you enter here using an insulting manner, and then playing the victim. Indeed, all sorts of ill manners accompanied with ill grammar on the side. A micro-controller, and the P2 is an example, is not a complete system. Actually, the P2 is far more powerful than many micro-controllers in the market. Have you worked with Microchip PICs, for example? They are not old and have their place. Most of us are not old, although I don't see a problem even if we were old and liking retro thinks (like "rotary" phones). Normally, it is a sign of experience, wisdom, culture and posture, something that you obviously don't have.

Don't expect a micro-controller to perform tasks that a PC would do. For that you need a PC. Besides, the P1 and P2 are excellent for automation, robots, PLCs and other things that don't run on software or don't use a OS. Just program it and it will be reliable for the sake of its "simplicity". Do you think that calculators, fridges, HVACs and such have an OS? Or do you simply think that the P2 developers are retrograde?

As for the insults, this is not YouTube.

Not so kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    itn123

I am speechless. Chip takes the time to answer your question, and you don't even thank him?

If you want a keyboard... add a keyboard.

If you want touch screens... add them.

If you want to use a cellphone to program ... ok. do it.

The only limits are in your imagination and/or experience.

If you can't get one P2 to do what you want... you can always add more P2s... very easily:)

I am old... If you live long enough, you'll be old too.

Someday you will look back on it all and say..."I can't believe I did that."

When I look back at my life... that's what I do:)

• admittedly i havent got a pc...all ur ideas dont work...thank u for wasting ur time on that deadend. it was anticilated i took the time not to fix the spelling

i am not unlike most people...which means that you have missed most of the market...by accepting the market and means of the rest of your competition...u are not different in anyway....u are not different...they all need libraries....they all need someone else to add it...

old stuff....nothing new at all
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2017-10-01 08:21
    i am not unlike most people...

That is becoming quite clear.
    which means that you have missed most of the market...by accepting the market and means of the rest of your competition...u are not different in anyway....u are not different...they all need libraries....they all need someone else to add it...
    That is rather garbled to decode.
    a) Clearly, you are not 'most of the market'.
    b) As for 'they all need libraries', well, yes, ALL Code based designs need firmware, including those running on FPGAs

admittedly i havent got a pc...
    If you have no PC, have you actually used a Microcontroller, or written any Microcontroller code ?
    Any links to a body of work showing your expertise ?

Yes, that needs a WiFi link, and the WiFi module market is quite healthy.
    Google search finds quite a few hits for WiFi keyboards using Phone apps.