Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hackers Gain ‘SWITCH-FLIPPING’ Access T0 U.S. Power Grid Control Systems — Parallax Forums

Hackers Gain ‘SWITCH-FLIPPING’ Access T0 U.S. Power Grid Control Systems

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2017-09-06 13:00 in General Discussion
https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-gain-switch-flipping-access-to-us-power-systems/
IN AN ERA of hacker attacks on critical infrastructure, even a run-of-the-mill malware infection on an electric utility’s network is enough to raise alarm bells. But the latest collection of power grid penetrations went far deeper: Security firm Symantec is warning that a series of recent hacker attacks not only compromised energy companies in the US and Europe but also resulted in the intruders gaining hands-on access to power grid operations—enough control that they could have induced blackouts on American soil at will.

Symantec on Wednesday revealed a new campaign of attacks by a group it is calling Dragonfly 2.0, which it says targeted dozens of energy companies in the spring and summer of this year. In more than 20 cases, Symantec says the hackers successfully gained access to the target companies’ networks.

Comments

• Nice, we shouldn't have these important system's on the internet just sitting there for people to play with.

Not sure why everything has to be connected these days. But I can see why the electric grid has to because of its vast complexity, and a constant need to reroute electricity on the fly.

Security is transient and at times elusive, constantly evolving and never complacent, a problem with no permanent solution. And the cost of "peace of mind" just keeps going up.

If if we could just find the hackers and hold them accountable for terrorist acts. It seems like they can only narrow it down to a specific country of origin, and they don't seem to be a hundred percent sure of that. Could be government-sponsored, or could be a lone wolf, they are never quite sure.

if you build it, they will crack it.
  • Oddly enough here in New York, I know of only one, and it wasn't a power plant.

I strongly suspect that if they can be reached via typical networking methods, they aren't reachable via the Internet via methods that you and I use.

Although Mike if you turn around, I can see you through the robot next to the six cats. Why are you wearing that hat? That baseball team no longer exists as such.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2017-09-07 10:49
    Why on earth are those things connected to the internet in the first place. My own customers, not at all near the risk level of a utility plant, still keep all their operational systems off the net. If anything needs doing on the computers there someone has to physically walk there, through several access checks.
  • Although Mike if you turn around, I can see you through the robot next to the six cats. Why are you wearing that hat? That baseball team no longer exists as such.

I'm impressed, that is the neighbor's barn cats, the robot is on an exchange program. Erco is going to teach some cat to sing Daisy, while his robot is learning mousing skills.
  • @Buck,
    That was a quick exchange of knowledge, and the robot headed south the last time I seen it.
    1280 x 720 - 1M