Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Finish Your Projects before Sept 23 — Parallax Forums

Finish Your Projects before Sept 23

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Dang it, just bought a new set of snow tires for the winter. Could have spent the money on something better.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    kwinn wrote: »
    Dang it, just bought a new set of snow tires for the winter. Could have spent the money on something better.

With so little time left, only spend your money on the important things.

Hookers & fireworks!

• Watch your sins, it is biblical in nature.

And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_12_Sign

The alignment on September 23, 2017
    800 x 450 - 344K
  • Well I guess I had better finish my...oh, squirrel
  • erco wrote: »
    With so little time left, only spend your money on the important things.
    Hookers & fireworks!

Or, depending on the attitude of one's wife, the fireworks are a free bonus that come with the hookers.

My dad loved this Nibiru stuff. I miss the two-hour phone calls where he'd explain the next coming of the end of the world. Funnily enough, it kept him going! (And no, at his age, the hookers and fireworks were but a dim memory.)

• MikeDYur wrote: »
    Watch your sins, it is biblical in nature.

And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_12_Sign

The alignment on September 23, 2017

Funny how Jupiter can be between moon and sun and Mars switched its place with Venus. Yes when those big ones switch places so drastically, everything can happen. Its truly biblical...

Enjoy!

Mike

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Stupid Christians.

There is nothing in the bible even remotely mathematical or scientific. It demonstrates zero knowledge of astronomy. The Chinese and Greeks were way ahead of whoever wrote that poetry. Heck even the Mayan's as far as I can tell. It's only recently that readers of said book started to understand that the Earth is not the center of everything and perhaps more than 6000 years old.

How then am I supposed to accept that whatever is written there says anything about whatever is happening with celestial bodies on September 23rd 2017?

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-09-04 21:10
    Ah, we're getting a bit religositic here (aren't I clever with this new word!). The thread will most certainly be locked if we're not careful.

This one's pretty easy to prove or disprove. Let's all plan to meet up here Sept 24. We either will or we won't. And if we do manage to squeak by again, I'm sure there are plenty of forums on the Internet to debate whether Revelations is preteristic, futuristic, allegorical, or something else.
    Yes, go easy, Heater! This is just a silly fun thread. No need to spoil it all by getting uppity.

Besides, Whit and I don't like being called stupid!
    edited 2017-09-04 21:46
    Don't worry Gordon. I'm a fully paid up member of the Church of England and would not have it any other way.

As such, I feel I have a right to question and criticize the thoughts of my fellow Christians. Been doing it ever since I was a kid in "Religious Knowledge" classes back in my CofE school. Probably why I used to come out top of said class at the end of every year.

I like your plan for the experiment. Sadly there is no way I'm going to be State side again at that time.

Hmmm....wait a minute. If we are still here on the 24th then perhaps we have proved some prophecy wrong. On the other hand, if the prophecy is true then there is nobody left. That would prove the prophecy correct, but as there is nobody left anymore the proof means nothing.

So the whole deal can be false. It can never be true.

• Nibiru was predicted to destroy the Earth back in 2012 also. How many predictions have gone wrong. The Mayans got it wrong a couple of years ago::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

Just another sunny day in Los Angeles!

• We had the close call, close enough for me anyway.
    An asteroid just flew by Earth about 50% the distance to the moon, and we barely saw it coming

http://www.businessinsider.com/asteroid-flyby-nearer-than-moon-2017-1
    Publison,

The Mayans did not get anything wrong.

Perhaps they stopped calculating their calendar past 2012 Dec 21. Perhaps that was a convenient point in time to stop, given their number system. I don't know. None of that implies a prediction of the end of the world. That comes from a bunch of modern day nut heads.

From the very link you posted:

"Mayanist scholars stated that no extant classic Maya accounts forecasted impending doom, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar ends in 2012 misrepresented Maya history and culture."
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-09-04 22:11
    Being laden with symbolism and gematria, these types of prophecies have the ability to come back at regular intervals, like a comet. Nostradamus had it down to a science.

Jesus himself was much more specific; for example, indicating the return of the Son of Man within the lifetime of the apostles (Matthew 24:34).
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-09-04 22:13
    Heater. wrote: »
    That comes from a bunch of modern day nut heads.

Is that the ones with their hands on the nukes?
    My current favorite take away from the bible is Proverbs 21:19

"It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman."

Despite over two thousand years of "progress" King Solomon knew what tribulations we would face.

• Guess we're to blame for starting something, those of us interested in AI.

Elon Musk predicts World War III

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/04/technology/culture/elon-musk-ai-world-war/index.html
  • Stupid Christians

In the end, you will be changing your name from "Heater" to "Air Conditioner Please!!!"
    edited 2017-09-05 05:04
    Are you prophesying that I will have to return to California?

I only got back last week.

Torment indeed !

:)
  • Actually, you have until October of 2021. see here
    2560 x 1920 - 420K
  • @Heater, if there is no one there to verify the proof, then does does the proof prove anything?
    frank freedman,
    @Heater, if there is no one there to verify the proof, then does does the proof prove anything?
    I think that is what I said already. Me:
    Hmmm....wait a minute. If we are still here on the 24th then perhaps we have proved some prophecy wrong. On the other hand, if the prophecy is true then there is nobody left. That would prove the prophecy correct, but as there is nobody left anymore the proof means nothing.
    Or, to make it simple and morbid:

Say I want to prove to you that you will be dead tomorrow, for whatever reason, then if I am right you will be dead tomorrow. But I will not have proved anything to you. You are not here anymore to understand the proof.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Maybe this date is not meant to see an extraterrestrial impact, but a local event? Prophecies often are ambiguous. Today the robots are mainly done from plastics, it may happen that they are allowed only to be made from iron, aluminum and steel by american work force after this date? Are there any provisions to survive this date? A new product line? Maybe a robot chassis carved from coal? How far have we come!
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-09-06 00:18
    As far As I know the date is the start of seven years of tribulation. And I really didn't think we would end up here.

With the northern hemisphere wanting to destroy itself, why does the southern hemisphere stay mostly peaceful.

Whoa if, we are under the threat of a rougue planet being hurled through the universe, from a system somewhere when the sun went supernova.

Anyway, I thank my creator every morning when I wake up.
  • This particular prophecy is about the Tribulation. Depending on your particular belief system, if you're headed skyward, you may ascend before the end days ever begin, and know nothing of it. Goody for you. Or, such ascension won't come until the middle or even end. Proof is definitely within reason.

If you're not destined for a heavenly existence, you'll still know it's happened because you'll have to live through (the specific vary) several years of pestilence, famine, and death. So yes, there will be plenty of "proof" to go all around!

Then there are the Preterists, who claim the event has already taken place. Depending on your world view, there is evidence of that -- the fall of Jerusalem in 70 CE, which came after a bloody siege by the Romans.
  • @Heater, if there is no one there to verify the proof, then does does the proof prove anything?

Which is an extension of Berkeley's famous "If a tree falls in a forest..." thought experiment. The topic of subjective idealism really calls for a separate thread, methinks.

• No panic, if on September 23th the world ends.
    On September 24th Mrs. Merkel is elected to the 4th round in Germany.
    ;-))
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I will tell you on the 24th that it was another fallacy;)
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    The world will not end in a crash, but with a plash, inch for inch the oceans will rise and in the end we all will live in golden towers, to the benefit of those that alway were aware of climate change, but denying it not to bring in danger their very long time investment plan. But till those times come, we have a P2 to save the world from ignorance and make us all knowing right for wrong. Realizing that SPIN keeps the world spinning with ease.