Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Switching from 20kHz RCSLOW to XTAL1@5MHz or RCFAST — Parallax Forums

Switching from 20kHz RCSLOW to XTAL1@5MHz or RCFAST

Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
edited 2017-08-31 18:23 in Propeller 1
I didn't want to hijack John's thread about generating 38kHz for an LED.

The following program alternates between RCSLOW and XTAL1 5MHz in a loop with about 1 second in each phase. Pin p3 is an indicator and trigger for the 'scope image attached, p3 is in red, and the 5MHz crystal output XO is in yellow. P3 goes high just before it enables the oscillator, and it goes low again once the Prop is operating at 5MHz. It happens that there is a 22ms delay before the first kick to the xtal, and then there is another 22+ ms delay before the chip switches over to operate at 5MHz. The crystal ramps up to speed in well under 10 ms. If you take out the two clkset instructions, the pair of outa[3] instructions generate an pulse of less than 1ms duration. So my question is, why do the two clkset instructions take so long?
CON
  _clkmode = RCSLOW
                    '
PUB main
  dira := $ffff  ' all pins are outputs
  outa := $3000  ' all pins except 28,29 (scl,sda) are low
  ctra := %00100<<26  ' NCO on p0
  frqa := 32641751   ' 26.315us, 38.000.85  kHz  o=.1us
  '  
  repeat
    waitcnt(clkfreq+cnt)
    outa[3]~~ .  ' pin p3 goes high to trigger 'scope
    clkset(%0_01_01_001, 20_000)  ' xtal 5MHz oscillator on, no PLL, still operating on RCslow    
    ' no additional delay needed here in Spin                            ' 
    clkset(%0_01_01_010, 5_000_000) ' switch to operate on 5MHz xtal, no PLL
    outa[3]~
    waitcnt(clkfreq+cnt) .  ' one second generating 38kHz.
    clkset(%0_00_00_001, 20_000)  ' drop to RCSLOW at ~20 KHz

Comments

• Tracy,

Have you tried the equivalent in pasm? Just curious, to definitively narrow down whether it's the nature of the prop or if it's pasm vs spin. I don't have the prop manual/datasheet in front of me so dunno - clkset by its very nature doesn't take a longer time than other instructions does it?

Cheers,
    Jesse
  • Jesse,
    I do think I'll try the pasm version when I get to the shop. On the surface, as a Spin hub instruction, it only has to read in the two parameters and use those to update the clkfreq long at location 0 and the clock mode byte at location 4. The manual says there is an obligatory ~75 microsecond delay any time the clock mode register is written. I recall reading somewhere in the forum that the changeover of clock source is always somehow synced by the 20kHz clock source (~50 microsecond period).
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    .... It happens that there is a 22ms delay before the first kick to the xtal, and then there is another 22+ ms delay before the chip switches over to operate at 5MHz. The crystal ramps up to speed in well under 10 ms. If you take out the two clkset instructions, the pair of outa[3] instructions generate an pulse of less than 1ms duration. So my question is, why do the two clkset instructions take so long?
    That sounds rather deliberate, by-design.
    When you try PASM, can you check Slow <-> Fast RC osc changes, to see if the ~22ms is just on Xtal entry, or all mode changes ?

• Here's the pasm version. The transition from p3 high at 20kHz to p3 low at 5MHz took 3.37ms. (red trace)
    Program attached.
    0.82ms from pin high to first kick to crystal. Yellow trace is xtal XO.
    2.55ms from there to p3 high. Part of that is a programmed delay of 32 clock cycles at 20kHz.
    The green trace, channel 4, shows the p0 output from a cog counter running at maximum frequency.
    The orange trace, time zoomed, shows the 10kHz ctra output followed by the sync into 2.5 MHz, with cycles dropped at the points where the clkset instruction is executed.

The transition code:
      or outa, #%1000      ' 'scope trigger on p3
      clkset  #%0_01_01_001   'rcslow+oscena+xtal1 
      mov tick, cnt
      add tick,#32         ' minimum allowable with waitcnt is #9
      waitcnt tick, #0    ' still works but roughly if this is commented out, ~1.5ms duration of p3 pulse
      clkset #%0_01_01_010           ' switch over to crystal 5Mhz
      andn outa, #%1000      ' this executes at 5MHz

• For comparison, the Spin version. The same transition took 67ms.

640 x 480 - 17K
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2017-08-31 17:33
    And the transition from RCslow to RCfast.

832 microseconds in pasm
    33 milliseconds in spin

The third 'scope shot is simply pin p3 going high and low in pasm with two outa[] instructions. 4 clock cycles, compared with 17 clock cycles for the first 'scope shot, which includes the clkset instruction. So the clkset instruction is adding 13 clock cycles, consistent with a hub instruction in a longer loop.
    640 x 480 - 16K
    640 x 480 - 15K
    640 x 480 - 16K
    And the transition from RCslow to RCfast.

832 microseconds in pasm
    33 milliseconds in spin

The third 'scope shot is simply pin p3 going high and low in pasm with two outa[] instructions. 4 clock cycles, compared with 17 clock cycles for the first 'scope shot, which includes the clkset instruction. So the clkset instruction is adding 13 clock cycles, consistent with a hub instruction in a longer loop.
    Great numbers... Looks like that 832us is also the time to Xtal-enable, and you then add the osc start time on that.
    Here's the pasm version. The transition from p3 high at 20kHz to p3 low at 5MHz took 3.37ms. (red trace)
    Program attached.
    0.82ms from pin high to first kick to crystal. Yellow trace is xtal XO.
    2.55ms from there to p3 high. Part of that is a programmed delay of 32 clock cycles at 20kHz.
    32/20k = 1.6ms, so this could reduce with a resonator, to 0.82ms + ~0.1ms Resonator start time ?

I wonder is there any way to measure/calibrate the RCSlow and RCFast, from the Xtal ?

• I don't think it would be limited by the resonator startup time, rather, by the execution time of the clkset instruction. A minimum of 8 clock cycles at 20kHz after the first kick to the crystal. That is 8*0.05ms = 0..4ms. But the resonator should be good to go at that point in time.

AFAIK there is no way to measure/calibrate RCSLOW or RCFAST from the Xtal. That would be nice. Tricks? I usually have an RTC with a 1pps heartbeat attached, so serves as calibration reference.
    I don't think it would be limited by the resonator startup time, rather, by the execution time of the clkset instruction. A minimum of 8 clock cycles at 20kHz after the first kick to the crystal. That is 8*0.05ms = 0..4ms. But the resonator should be good to go at that point in time.

OK, so you say 832us + 400us to hand-over from 20KHz to Ceramic resonator Osc.
    The resonator should start inside that 400us, and a NOP could always be added if scope says not-quite.

AFAIK there is no way to measure/calibrate RCSLOW or RCFAST from the Xtal. That would be nice. Tricks?
    I wonder if you can run a counter via PLL (max or min limit ?) and read that 3 ways ?
    This would assume the PLL does not change between modes.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-09-01 23:47
    PLL will not lock on RCSLOW.

-Phil
    PLL will not lock on RCSLOW.
    That's why I put min or max, as I assume it can be made to go hard-one-way ?

• max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    Lonesock posted a serial port version to be used with no xtal, and adapting using the 1pps of an rtc.