Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Components getting smaller — Parallax Forums

Components getting smaller

Toshiba announced a new family of LDO Voltage Regulators 420mA.

ultra-small plastic mold WCSP4E package (0.645mmx0.645mm (typical); t:0.43mm (max))

Even with glasses I am not going to be able to see them !!!
The input and output caps are going to be bigger. And where is that power going to be dissipated, even 200mV at 400mA = 80mW in a package you basically cannot distinguish from a grain of sand.
Hand assembly - nope :(

http://www.eejournal.com/industry_news/toshiba-announces-new-cmos-ldo-voltage-regulators/

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    ...in a package you basically cannot distinguish from a grain of sand.

Full circle, all these silicon chips come from sand! Amazing miniaturization.

Moore's Law wins again.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I'd rather a 4pin 1.5x1.5mm with the caps included internally:)
    erco wrote: »
    ...in a package you basically cannot distinguish from a grain of sand.

Full circle, all these silicon chips come from sand! Amazing miniaturization.

Moore's Law wins again.
    Yep, turn a grain of sand into a grain of sand. Lot of work to achieve this. Could I just go to the beach ;)

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Moore's Law has not been winning for some years now.

I guess our mistake was not building some robots that can so some line following on the traces of a PCB and place the parts for us, before our eyesight starts failing!

I think I am going back to tube circuits....
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    ultra-small plastic mold WCSP4E package (0.645mmx0.645mm (typical); t:0.43mm (max))
    .... And where is that power going to be dissipated, even 200mV at 400mA = 80mW in a package you basically cannot distinguish from a grain of sand.

I've noticed more of these sorts of packages, and where that's the ONLY choice for that part code ?!
    Power density HAS to be a big issue here, and I was attracted to a new '1117' variant for that reason.
    ST have
    LDL1117S33R SOT223 250uA Iq 18V Max in

(no problems finding this, and it can spread the heat ! ), but is still low cost at ~ 10c/2k5
    This can easily power P1, and probably many P2 applications too... before you need to bump to a SMPS.

jmg wrote: »
    .... And where is that power going to be dissipated, even 200mV at 400mA = 80mW in a package you basically cannot distinguish from a grain of sand.

I've noticed more of these sorts of packages, and where that's the ONLY choice for that part code ?!
    Power density HAS to be a big issue here, and I was attracted to a new '1117' variant for that reason.
    ST have
    LDL1117S33R SOT223 250uA Iq 18V Max in

(no problems finding this, and it can spread the heat ! ), but is still low cost at ~ 10c/2k5
    This can easily power P1, and probably many P2 applications too... before you need to bump to a SMPS.

Nice find. I prefer the SOT-23 or next smaller.
  • Heater. wrote: »

I guess our mistake was not building some robots that can so some line following on the traces of a PCB and place the parts for us, before our eyesight starts failing!

We've had lots of Apple I replica kits. How about an ENIAC replica kit?

David Betz wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »

Over to you heater ;)

• David Betz wrote: »

Can we get one over time like the old Franklin Mint subscriptions (or whoever did "Star Trek"-character-figurine-of-the-month)?

Say each month you'd get 100 vacuum tubes (and the corresponding parts) a month.

That would spread the project out (and the cost) over about 15 years.