Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COYOTE-1 Guitar Pedal - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

COYOTE-1 Guitar Pedal

Comments

• One cool thing about the Traveler guitars is that they are small, but the scale length is standard as you can see in the picture that Steve posted. Compare to something like the Chiquita and you'll see that the Chiquita would require some more adjustment by the player. I have a friend who has a lower end ultra-light Traveler that he keeps in his car and pulls out whenever he's waiting for his kids somewhere. I think he got it from Craigslist.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    One cool thing about the Traveler guitars is that they are small, but the scale length is standard as you can see in the picture that Steve posted. Compare to something like the Chiquita and you'll see that the Chiquita would require some more adjustment by the player. I have a friend who has a lower end ultra-light Traveler that he keeps in his car and pulls out whenever he's waiting for his kids somewhere. I think he got it from Craigslist.
    Yes, it does look nice. Maybe I'll watch Craigslist for a used one but I imagine it will still be hundreds of dollars. What I really need is a used cheap Fender Squire or something like that.
  • Since I started playing, ~44 years ago, I have suffered with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), falling for all the hype and blowing ridiculous amounts of money.

Although I still possess some nice equipment, I only ever play my cheap-but-cool stuff. My favorite guitar to play is the Peavey AT-200. I think it was a commercial flop because it has an embedded DSP and therefore not cool as far as purists are concerned. Plus-side to this is that they fetch very little money. Heck, I bought mine new for ~$200, played it for like five minutes then promptly ordered another one for backup (optional software packs will drive up TCO). It's a guitar, not a piece of furniture so I don't care that it doesn't feel as luxurious as my overpriced, big-name guitars.
    I blacked-out the name and model number and therefore, my guitar-playing peers have no idea how I pull-off certain tricks when playing live, such as switching from standard to open tuning on-the-fly. Having a guitar with perfect intonation and that stays in-tune is really nice!

Chinese copies:
    For giggles, I pulled the trigger on a fake "Fender Telecaster" that I found on dhgate.com. This comes complete with the original Fender logo and fake serial number and is indistinguishable from the genuine article. I expected the electrics and tuners to be junk but I haven't bothered to replace them because they seem fine and after 2 years of serious playing, I even still have the original Chinese strings that it came with. This came, delivered to the UK for ~$250. Seriously considering buying a bunch of fake Gibsons and Fenders to hang on the walls of my man-cave for decoration. :-)

• David Betz wrote: »

Yes, apparently very good but you need some basic Luthier know-how.

For a no-name guitar, the Harley Benton range is VERY impressive. The one in THIS LINK is not the least expensive but it is a copy of the guitar that Prince played and I always liked the look of it.

At the end of THIS PERFORMANCE, he tosses it up in the air and it never comes down! :o
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    David Betz wrote: »

I've had my eye on something like that for a while (the B.C.Rich Warlock style). I just have no idea how to stain it to get a decent finish. I'd also prefer an ebony fret-board.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,609
    edited 2017-08-19 12:41
    David Betz wrote: »

Also, with that particular kit, the headstock ("Blank peghead shape") requires profiling. A Google search for guitar kits will find all kinds of options with better prices. Then you need to tackle the set-up, such as action, intonation, etc. You need a good tuner (although smartphone apps are pretty good) and patience to get good intonation. If the action is too high, it's harder to play. Too low and you'll have fret buzz. I zip up and down the fret board a lot so these things are important to me. I was also turned on to .007 gauge strings, a couple of years ago and now use them exclusively on my Peavey guitars. Very easy on the fingers. I have a set waiting to go on the "Chelecaster" (Chinese Telecaster).

• I was just reading over the documentation for the Coyote-1 and started thinking about making a second-generation version using P1V. It seems to me that someone successfully added a multiply instruction to P1V a while back. That should certainly be useful in creating effects. Also, whatever logic is in the PLD could be placed in the same FPGA that holds the P1V. Does anyone know how to contact Eric Moyer?
  • On a separate note, you might want to look into puredata for quick prototyping - https://guitarextended.wordpress.com/audio-effects-for-guitar-with-pure-data/
    On a separate note, you might want to look into puredata for quick prototyping - https://guitarextended.wordpress.com/audio-effects-for-guitar-with-pure-data/
    Hmmm... Another graphical programming language.
    KeithE wrote: »
    On a separate note, you might want to look into puredata for quick prototyping - https://guitarextended.wordpress.com/audio-effects-for-guitar-with-pure-data/
    Hmmm... Another graphical programming language.
    It has its roots in Max which dates back to the 80's. But the main point is that you should be able to prototype effects much more rapidly than you would be able to code them up in Spin, C, or assembly. Note that Andy Farnell's book uses Pd.
  • In case anyone is still looking for one of these here is another on eBay that is cheaper than most of the others I've seen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coyote-1-Guitar-Pedal-Open-Source-Stereo-Effect-Stomp-Box-44-KHZ-24-Bit-Sampling-/232475837119?hash=item3620a3c2bf:g:ZiEAAOSwXq5ZrJk1
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Ah, gone already..
  • Wow, they have been coming out of the woodwork lately.
    In case anyone is still looking for one of these here is another on eBay that is cheaper than most of the others I've seen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coyote-1-Guitar-Pedal-Open-Source-Stereo-Effect-Stomp-Box-44-KHZ-24-Bit-Sampling-/232475837119?hash=item3620a3c2bf:g:ZiEAAOSwXq5ZrJk1
    Someone seems to have bought it. Maybe there will be renewed activity on effects for the Coyote-1. I have to admit that I haven't even powered mine up yet.
  • I bought it for my son. I don't think it has the CD. Does anyone know where to get one (if it doesn't have one)? I will try contacting the author, but not sure that will work.

Tom
  • twm47099 wrote: »
    I bought it for my son. I don't think it has the CD. Does anyone know where to get one (if it doesn't have one)? I will try contacting the author, but not sure that will work.

Tom

Eric, (the builder), is long gone. I have tried to make contact for over two months.

Good news, I can make you a CD, too big to email.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll get on to you.

• Thanks,
    PM sent.
    Tom
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,609
    edited 2017-09-05 10:28

Eric, (the builder), is long gone. I have tried to make contact for over two months.

Good news, I can make you a CD, too big to email.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll get on to you.

?!?!?! There are lots of ways to send large files. I have a few ISO images on my Dropbox.
  • Has anyone here written an effect for the Coyote-1 or modified its firmware in any way?
  • It certainly looks like one heck of an accomplishment. Shame it didn't take off.
  • Someone had forked the OpenStomp code and added their own features which is posted on GitHub:
    https://github.com/samuelmay/coyote1-sm

However, there is a link zipped source code at the left bottom of the following Parallax Learn page:
    learn.parallax.com/educators/inspiration/openstomp

Everything is about 8-9 years old though.
  • JonM wrote: »
    Someone had forked the OpenStomp code and added their own features which is posted on GitHub:
    https://github.com/samuelmay/coyote1-sm

However, there is a link zipped source code at the left bottom of the following Parallax Learn page:
    learn.parallax.com/educators/inspiration/openstomp

Everything is about 8-9 years old though.
    Yeah, it seems this project has been dormant for some time. I wonder if there were many effects written by customers beyond what came with the unit originally?

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2017-09-30 13:36
    I liked the idea of the Coyote-1 because it was programmable. I've been looking around at other programmable music devices and ran into the Critter & Guitari Organelle. It is basically a Linux box running Pure Data which seems to be an interesting graphical programming language geared toward music. While I normally don't like graphical languages this one seems kind of interesting. The downside is that the Organelle is $495. That seems a bit steep for something of this sort. In any case, you can play with Pure Data without buying the Organelle. It runs on the Mac, Windows, and Linux. As much as I like the idea of the Coyote-1, this may be a more practical approach to a programmable music device.

The Organelle: https://www.critterandguitari.com/collections/instruments/products/organelle

Pure Data: https://puredata.info
    I liked the idea of the Coyote-1 because it was programmable. I've been looking around at other programmable music devices and ran into the Critter & Guitari Organelle. It is basically a Linux box running Pure Data which seems to be an interesting graphical programming language geared toward music. While I normally don't like graphical languages this one seems kind of interesting. The downside is that the Organelle is $495. That seems a bit steep for something of this sort. In any case, you can play with Pure Data without buying the Organelle. It runs on the Mac, Windows, and Linux. As much as I like the idea of the Coyote-1, this may be a more practical approach to a programmable music device.

The Organelle: https://www.critterandguitari.com/collections/instruments/products/organelle

Pure Data: https://puredata.info

Actually, this might be a better option for playing with Pure Data. It's less than $150 shipped to the US including the case.

https://blokas.io
  • You can also just buy a cheap USB sound interface for the Pi, but that Blokas board you posted looks cool.

I would think that whatever you ultimately choose to do Puredata is a good option for playing around and prototyping. Probably start on a PC. I posted a link to some Pd guitar effects earlier in the thread (haven't tried them) and that Organelle page has some examples too.
    You can also just buy a cheap USB sound interface for the Pi, but that Blokas board you posted looks cool.

I would think that whatever you ultimately choose to do Puredata is a good option for playing around and prototyping. Probably start on a PC. I posted a link to some Pd guitar effects earlier in the thread (haven't tried them) and that Organelle page has some examples too.
    Yeah, I know I could just buy a cheap USB sound interface but this looked cooler. I have mine on order!

I'm wondering if a Propeller Hat could also be plugged into the same RaspberryPi to provide lots of I/O for interfacing to hardware controls like pots, a keyboard, and maybe an OLED display.
    I'm wondering if a Propeller Hat could also be plugged into the same RaspberryPi to provide lots of I/O for interfacing to hardware controls like pots, a keyboard, and maybe an OLED display.

I don't know how that would work mechanically, but maybe I'm missing something. Did you order the Blokas case too? Cool that this has traditional MIDI as well.

I'm assuming that USB MIDI works fine with Pi and PD - but you know what they say about assumptions. We have a digital piano that's sadly USB MIDI only, so that would be cool if it worked.