Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with Firmware update on Parallax ESP8266 — Parallax Forums

Problem with Firmware update on Parallax ESP8266

Got a Parallax ESP8266 today. While updating the firmware using the parallax guide for reference something went wrong. Any ideas on how to upload the firmware again when it does not show up in a WIFI network? It's still in STA+IP mode...long on, long off...on the ASC LED. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Do you have a PropPlug?

Others may be able to suggest a way to recover over wifi, but if all else fails you could recover by PropPlug if you have one of those. I'll have a look for the instructions.
  • I do not have a propplug. It's a SIP version, in case that helps.
  • You will need something like a PropPlug to do a serial download. I'm sure Parallax customer support can help you. What exactly went wrong with the over-the-air upgrade? I don't think I've ever seen one fail and there are also two copies of the firmware so a failure shouldn't brick your module anyway.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    ... there are also two copies of the firmware so a failure shouldn't brick your module anyway.

@Shack sounds like removing power from everything, then starting over with the fw update instructions could get you going.

Also... double-make sure any jumper links are making good non-intermittent connections. Those simplest things are set to cause trouble :)

• I was using my son's laptop and it decided to reboot from a previous update right in the middle of the firmware upload. I'll try to power it back up today and maybe it will work. If not, I'll give tech support a call. Thanks.
  • Well, I got it back online. Not sure what got it back. I held the PGM pin low while powering up. It puts it into a serial com mode or something. I dumped the power after it came up in this mode. When I powered it back up, I could see it as a network again. Working now.
  • That's good news.

David Betz will know what impact the pgm pin has to the operating state. There's also the dbg pin that outputs serial debug data in some conditions- especially during startup, that might help diagnose whatever mode the device is in.

Glad you got things working.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    That's good news.

David Betz will know what impact the pgm pin has to the operating state. There's also the dbg pin that outputs serial debug data in some conditions- especially during startup, that might help diagnose whatever mode the device is in.

Glad you got things working.
    If PGM is grounded at power up the ESP8266 goes into programming mode and expects a firmware image over the RX/TX lines.