Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fun Robot Video — Parallax Forums

Fun Robot Video

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2017-07-21 16:03 in Robotics
AFAIK this Microbric "Viper" robot is discontinued, but I just saw this video and liked the stop motion animation showing the modularity and reconfigurability. xanadu has made some great stop-motion assembly videos of an Activity Bot IIRC.

@Ken: It's also amazing how adding shiny mag wheels and a few curved decorative pieces (spoiler & wings) really jazzes up the look of what's essentially just another boxy robot chassis. Based on my experience in the toy biz, you could bank some serious coin selling customization kits for Scribbler & Activity Bot with nothing but plastic pieces & labels. I'd suggest molding them yourself. If you don't want to do that, at least host the 3D files on your site and let people 3D print them. Kids could do Battlebots with jousting lances and armor that "blows off". Just another way to engage kids, sure can't hurt. I have lots of professional artist friends who could do some sketching & visual exploration if you like.

For some reason, I see a custom S3 done as a lowrider with a flame job, doing a hydraulic wheelie bounce and playing "La Cucaracha". Next Parallax Expo/party, please have a customized robot show or contest.

Comments

• I really enjoyed that! And I agree with your point about bling. People are more likely to invest time in something they feel represents them individually.
  • S3 + http://hydrodipstore.com/product/steam-punk-hydrographic-film/

And, some lasers, or flamethrowers, maybe both?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    For just a few bucks in mold mods, you could add pegs to the S4 top housing to make it LEGO compatible. Everyone else is!

68be9918808251.562d31024d2bc.jpg
    xanadu wrote: »

Awesome. Those guys need to be at the Parallax expo doing that onsite.
  • Or outsource it to someone. The Scribbler shell is small enough to make it nice-n-easy. Probably doesn't cost much to ship. Part of me says it's distracting, and maybe too cool. The other part says gaining someone's attention takes a lot these days.

I will see if I can start a Maker event to do it, the one in Vista has airbrushes and you wouldn't need much of a tank. As soon as someone gets good at it we can do my S2 :)

Like. Even a simple carbon fiber graphic would look great.
  • Ken - I agree with Erco, I spent years producing video games and the ability to customize your in-game character is a major thing for people. In my early days, it was amazing to see that just giving people the choice of jacket color for an otherwise identical-looking character (riding on a motorcycle) meant a lot. Current games offer a ton of customizations that don't actually affect how the game plays, but let you have your own distinctive avatar.