Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot in the Fountain — Parallax Forums

Robot in the Fountain

More adventures with the Knightscope K5 security robot...

When Robot Face-Plants In Fountain, Onlookers Show Humanity — By Gloating

Comments

• Was it Texting while Roving?

That looks like an expensive ooops.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Humorous and sad at once. Wonder if they will release the security video footage of the robo no-no.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Sad?

It would be funny if it were not so serious. Those Knightscopes scare me. This story reminds of the scene in Robo Cop where the ED 209 falls down the stairs. Knightscopes are not armed yet. But I'm sure they are working on it. And there will be authorities looking on that think it would be very useful feature. It might start with tasers and tear gas defenses. That is only the beginning...

Saw a couple of Knightscopes lurking around the car park at Microsoft in San Jose the other day.
  • I agree with Heater. We're pretty deep into the AI Hype Cycle, I suspect it will take a few highly visible failures before the trough of disillusionment sets in.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-07-20 23:19
    Martin_H wrote: »
    I agree with Heater. We're pretty deep into the AI Hype Cycle, I suspect it will take a few highly visible failures before the trough of disillusionment sets in.

Why can't these so called security bots be stopped with a can of black spraypaint?
    Martin_H wrote: »
    I suspect it will take a few highly visible failures before the trough of disillusionment sets in.

Careful what you wish for, sport!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-24/super-cheap-driverless-taxis-may-kick-mass-transit-to-the-curb

Knightscope seeks $80 million to keep robots out of the fountain...

https://www.seedinvest.com/knightscope/series.m

Some investment shenanigans where you give them money for nothing.

Purchased securities are not currently tradeable. Expect to hold your investment until the company lists on a national exchange or is acquired.

Is ScamBot.com already registered?

edited 2017-08-06 07:49
    From ercos's link above,

Share Price $3.00
    Pre-Money valuation $80,000,000

What the f' is "pre-money" valuation? Especially when it is measured in actual units of American dollars?

Knightscope seems to be a major scam.

• From the article:
    "Pre-money valuation
    The valuation of the issuer prior to investments resulting from this offering."

Hmm...so a "Pre-money valuation" is just a "Valuation".

I put a value of a billion dollars on every line of code I write. Still waiting for takers at that price :)
  • no no, that means that this $80,000,000 are $80,000,000 prior to investment. After investment the value might be less.

Mike
    It's very easy to make a million dollars in the stock market.

Start with $80,000,000.