Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEW PROPELLER-BASED PROTOTYPING PLATFORM — Parallax Forums

NEW PROPELLER-BASED PROTOTYPING PLATFORM

coderbadcoderbad Posts: 29
edited 2017-07-14 23:59 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone

I invite you to see, share and sponsor this awesome Arduino alternative, it is a easy to learn and prototyping platform, which you can program it using C language or Blocklyprop a visual programmer

help us to make it a reality and have a new option to the Makers.

Kickstarter Link
https://kickstarter.com/projects/1424716448/parral-dev-board/comments
a81f70b03a6c4578146165af9e886e9e_original.png?crop=faces&w=1024&h=576&fit=crop&v=1498619605&auto=format&q=92&s=12b35399c794bcfdd4f80529b817ccb0

ModEdit: Title

Comments

• Nice project, I just backed it for a few.

However, I can't help but think this should be in the Propeller 1 forum where it might get a bit more attention. You might need to check with moderators about rules with same post in multiple forums

regards
    Lachlan
  • Moved to Prop 1. Good call Tub.
  • And maybe change PLATFROM to PLATFORM in the thread title?

just saying...

Mike
  • This looks cool but unfortunately I already have way too many Propeller boards.
  • In regards to the Arduino comparison, depending on the customer needs it's a superior product! With educational customers as the target, Parallax's support system is much better because:

- Chromebook support (and it's free). Beta is functional in the ChromeApp store with demo.blockly.parallax.com
    - Blockly support, entirely free.
    - Parallax tutorials can be used with this board, in both C and Blockly

It's a fantastic concept and I backed it with a few purchases myself.

Ken Gracey
  • Looks very solid and a great addition to any breadboard. I have at least 10 Prop DIPs so I'll jump in toward the end, although I'd imagine you'll have no problems meeting that goal.

• Backed...best of luck

• avsa242 wrote: »
    Backed...best of luck

Thank you so much avsa, :)
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Looks very solid and a great addition to any breadboard. I have at least 10 Prop DIPs so I'll jump in toward the end, although I'd imagine you'll have no problems meeting that goal.
    thank you so much xanadu, you have 24 days to back us :)
  • David Betz wrote: »
    This looks cool but unfortunately I already have way too many Propeller boards.

One more David, maybe a gift for someone :)
  • coderbad wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    This looks cool but unfortunately I already have way too many Propeller boards.

One more David, maybe a gift for someone :)
    Yeah, I may break down in the end. It's certainly different than any of my existing boards!
  • Neat, handy, backed...
  • Thank so much to all backers, I really appreciate it
  • Okay, I finally gave in and backed this as well. It looks pretty cool!
  • I just backed it. 16 days to go, still needs approx. $400 more of backing to become official. Come on forum members if you haven't already, please support this effort/board...
  • I'm afraid the $16 shipping to the US may be putting some people off. I would think you could do half that.
  • Publison wrote: »
    I'm afraid the $16 shipping to the US may be putting some people off. I would think you could do half that.
    Yeah, that is why I hesitated initially but then I decided it was just too cool to let that stop me. I agree that there might be more takers with a lower shipping price though.

• frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2017-07-27 03:49
    Having watched this one for a bit, I don't think I will be getting one. It looks like someone combined the prop with the Raspi Cobbler interface to a breadboard. For only 6 rows more than this takes up, I can locate my prop anywhere on my 3 strip breadboard. Personally after acquiring the PPDB, and having used also the GG USB prop dev board, they are the better way, neat, clean processor complex, and use only the I/O signals I want rather than taking up the space of a whole prop (and more with this). In my opinion, if you are going to take up the space of a whole prop assembly on the board, plop a prop in the middle and wire away, or use one of the 40 pin dip Prop boards (any with built-in bluetooth serial would be really nice, one less cable to mess with) and run with it. But that's only one view.......
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-07-27 15:58
    Before I pull the trigger, a question. If you switch the bottom jumper to 5 volt, does that mean only that rail will run 5 volts and the other rail will still run 3.3 volts. That's the way I see it.

Having both voltages available would be advantageous.

• Having watched this one for a bit, I don't think I will be getting one. It looks like someone combined the prop with the Raspi Cobbler interface to a breadboard. For only 6 rows more than this takes up, I can locate my prop anywhere on my 3 strip breadboard. Personally after acquiring the PPDB, and having used also the GG USB prop dev board, they are the better way, neat, clean processor complex, and use only the I/O signals I want rather than taking up the space of a whole prop (and more with this). In my opinion, if you are going to take up the space of a whole prop assembly on the board, plop a prop in the middle and wire away, or use one of the 40 pin dip Prop boards (any with built-in bluetooth serial would be really nice, one less cable to mess with) and run with it. But that's only one view.......

I agree he PPDB is the ultimate in throwing together a project, but the are not available any more. This item looks great for the school environment at a lesser cost of the PPDB. I like that it provides 3.3 and 5.0 volts on the rails.

• Yes, the PPDB (and as far as I know, the GG USB as well) are gone. My point was lowest cost whlie sucking up that many pins was just wire the prop on the board as in the original Prop Ed manual. Or drop a ready to go 40dip in the same space less a few rows anywhere you want. Or use only the minimal number of pins on the breadboard with an off breadboard prop. While not cheapest, off board removes common wiring errors from the development time and may be easier to get going. Otherwise, copy the prop ed page and go cheap. As to rails, one jumper from the 3.3v regulator and you have your 3.3v rail.I don't have time or drive to create one, but a 40dip with Bluetooth programming/serial port would be tempting.... Look ma, ( not Jack Ma ) no wires beyond that which the actual program needs. But more costly. I started with bare Prop Ed style, then GG, then back to bare, then to PPDB (price, convenience, and reason was right).
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    Yes, the PPDB (and as far as I know, the GG USB as well) are gone. My point was lowest cost whlie sucking up that many pins was just wire the prop on the board as in the original Prop Ed manual. Or drop a ready to go 40dip in the same space less a few rows anywhere you want. Or use only the minimal number of pins on the breadboard with an off breadboard prop. While not cheapest, off board removes common wiring errors from the development time and may be easier to get going. Otherwise, copy the prop ed page and go cheap. As to rails, one jumper from the 3.3v regulator and you have your 3.3v rail.I don't have time or drive to create one, but a 40dip with Bluetooth programming/serial port would be tempting....
    Yes, the appeal of a board/module, is to reduce the wiring and parts needed to 'get going'
    That's where FLiP is good, and where this is too.

One detail that is not so clear from the image above is the USB connection.

If I was designing this, I'd have put the USB connector on the top - at first glance, there is no USB, only a power Jack

I'm not sure a power jack is even needed ? - USB wall warts and power outlets are very common these days.

• USB is on the bottom:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1424716448/parral-dev-board/description

I think the power jack is to supply a full 1 Amp to 5 volts. Still waiting on schematics.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    Publison wrote: »
    USB is on the bottom:
    Err, yes, that is my point. It can't be seen there, and it is another manufacturing step.

• Ten days and about $150 to go.
    <snip> Or drop a ready to go 40dip in the same space less a few rows anywhere you want.
    That's my main prototyping rig, 'course it's a powered breadboard otherwise I'd hafta add that, and I'm using a Propplug hanging off the edge of the board, and don't forget the extra rows of pins required for the EEPROM. This seems like a nice simple solution if you just wanna plug it in and get going. Getting this for a co-worker whom I'm trying to convince that Arduino isn't the end-all-be-all.
    jmg wrote: »
    <snip>I'm not sure a power jack is even needed ? - USB wall warts and power outlets are very common these days.
    There's a short video clip of the USB cable being plugged in and several LEDs flashing. Backers also received a (low-res) schematic, can't identify the 5V regulator but its output and 5V from the USB both feed into the 3V3 regulator.
  • Just backed it to put it over the top. It's a go!
  • Nicely done Jim!
  • Publison wrote: »
    Just backed it to put it over the top. It's a go!

Thank you everyone, can't wait until I get mine...

• Nice!
  • Still going at 59 backers and 5 days to go.