Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Use network cable internal wires for Arduino project connections — Parallax Forums

Use network cable internal wires for Arduino project connections

I am new to Arduino and Raspberry Pi, and I have no eletronics knowledge outside of this. I have a good programming background.

I just learned how to solder (basic), got my LCD working, my rain sensor, external temperature sensor, barometric sensor and camera working. They are connected and logging data.

Now I want to put this thing outside. I'll need long wires for my rain sensor and temperature sensor. Can I dismantle a network cable (Furukawa Cat 6) and use the pairs inside?

I'll need two wires for the rain sensor and three for the temperature sensor. One network cable has more than enough pairs, so I'll just need to pass one cable.

I plan to dismantle both ends and solder.

Is this okay? What is the maximum distance?

The distance would be about 20 meters.

The protocols and interface - I don't know, but I'll look into the datasheets. The barometric pressure sensor is Bmp180, the temperature sensor is the DS18B20(the datesheet of ds18b20)
and the rain sensor is the YL-83.

Comments

• I would connect the 20 meter cable to your current test setup to see if the cable length poses a signal problem before going about running the cable. My personal preference for running cables outside that connect to a microcontroller would be to use a shielded cable to better protect the signal lines from picking up electrical noise.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-07-11 23:11
    Sixty feet is quite a lot without line drivers and perhaps differential signalling. The fact it's CAT 6 cable is neither here nor there. Any set of twisted pair cabling would offer the same results. Baseband network signals can be sent down that length because of how the signal is driven and conditioned. To get the same benefit, you'd have to replicate those types of circuits.

I agree that you should simply try the cable before stringing it, but do consider a loop of cable, even CAT 6, makes for a nice antenna.

I agree with Hal that shielded cable may be preferred, but do consider capacitance at that length. If you have a means to look at the signal on the other end with a scope, that might visually show you what's happening inside that wire.