Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EZ LCD Monitor Repair — Parallax Forums

EZ LCD Monitor Repair

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2017-01-09 03:00 in General Discussion
I'm happy tonight, I just repaired my flickering Samsung Syncmaster 216BW monitor. Easiest fix ever, the first Google hit was a Youtube vid showing my exact problem, caused by a few bad electrolytic caps on the power board. $5 later for brand new caps, it's perfect and back in operation. Repair only took about 45 minutes. Sadly, this is a chronic and well-documented problem (and fix for DIYers) for Samsung monitors, it hits quite consistently at 3 years, right after the warranty expires! How silly that probably most of them get junked for a relatively minor failure. Whoever's in charge of e-waste should really figure out a way to sort such likely candidates for easy repair.

Previously, I was looking at replacing the monitor, and they are amazingly cheap, easily under $100 for a decent 22"-24" unit. I guess that's the heart of the problem. Any repair shop would charge nearly that for the repair.

The video I used:

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2017-01-09 13:38
    Those low quality and outright fake capacitors that were on the market over the last few years resulted in a lot of service calls for me. Lost count of the number of monitors and power supplies I have repaired or replaced, probably closing in on a hundred of each. Also repaired a few TV sets for family members and friends due to the same problem.

It's a shame so much equipment ended up in the landfills due to such a simple problem.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-09 14:32
    I have the Samsung SyncMaster 220wm, and has been going strong for better than six year's, biding time maybe. Yes and that's the problem with outsourcing a repair, it doesn't pay to repair. Dumpster diving could be very profitable these days.

EDIT: I forgot to say, "Way to go erco!", for doing your part for the environment, not to mention keeping a few buck's in your pocket.
  • The same goes for just about all consumer goods and also extends to ECUs. The cheap electros start drying out and bulging with a distorted top cap so they are normally easy to pick. The other problem is that these electros are jammed next to some warm and toasty regulator, thus further accelerating their early demise. I heard of someone years ago who used to charge a nice tidy sum to repair ECUs but all he needed to do was change a single 10c electro. Anyway, I've repaired various bits of gear over the years and this usually where I look first.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-01-09 23:37
    I fixed my brother's 40 52 inch Samsung TV a couple of years ago by replacing the capacitors. I think the capacitor kit was single sourced for about $16. Would have been over $150 to drag it to a repair shop.
  • There's a guy at the e-waste center by me that can identify and replace bad caps. They fix SLA batteries and rewind motors and all kinds of stuff. He is a very busy guy, but the recycle center itself is going downhill.

I had no idea the popped cap nonsense is still with us. Unreal, are the old caps low ESR by chance?

• I think they were underrated as to voltage and temperature. They just used the cheapest Caps available and that kinda' tarnished their reputation.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2017-01-09 18:09
    Went thru the same thing with my Samsung 226bw back in 2011...

forums.parallax.com/discussion/136357/bad-capacitors-samsung-226bw-lcd-monitor

and my Samsung TV in 2010 - been working great ever since!

forums.parallax.com/discussion/126804/bad-capacitors-samsung-lcd-tvs
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    I opened this thread thinking it was for the EZLCD, which I have... https://earthlcd.com/products/ezlcd-intelligent-lcds/ezlcd-001-rev-d/

:confused:
  • I did the same with a MicroSun ballast awhile back. "No user-serviceable parts inside," it said. Replaced the bulging electrolytics, and the bulb fires up again, good as new. Saved $90 with $5 worth of parts.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    I forgot to say, "Way to go erco!", for doing your part for the environment, not to mention keeping a few buck's in your pocket.

TTYTT, I rescued this monitor from someone's curb, so this is the second time I've "saved" this monitor. I was finishing a run, pushing the twins in the baby jogger when I spotted this curbside. It was all alone, not trash day, so I grabbed it and brought it home for a quick test. Didn't expect it to work but it did. That was about 3 years ago, so I'm not positive how old it is.

When plasma/flat panel TVs started getting cheap, I was amazed how many perfectly good tube TVs were put out with the trash. Trinitrons and big 32" TVs that worked fine. Even some monster rear projection TVs that originally costs thousands. Everyone has to have the latest and greatest TV, only to find that it's still the same crappy shows in HD!

Ha, I didn't search the forum for this exact topic Ron started! http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/136357/bad-capacitors-samsung-226bw-lcd-monitor

Speaking of fake caps from China...

2618014599_811b038cbc_z.jpg?zz=1
    edited 2017-01-09 23:36
    erco wrote: »

Is that for real?

When that cap popped, you wouldn't know it.
    Certainly not a good match, wonder what's been smuggled in that way.

I spotted this curbside.

I may find out when trash day is in the nearest town. And tell the wife I'm going hunting.
  • erco wrote:
    I was finishing a run, pushing the twins in the baby jogger when I spotted this curbside. It was all alone, not trash day, so I grabbed it and brought it home for a quick test.
    So, did one of the twins have to give up her place in the stroller for the monitor? :)

-Phil
    edited 2017-01-10 01:22
    Disrespect this this gangsta and he'll pop a cap in your raggedy Asus monitor.

Gangster-With-Gun.jpg
    Ha, I didn't search the forum for this exact topic Ron started! http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/136357/bad-capacitors-samsung-226bw-lcd-monitor

2618014599_811b038cbc_z.jpg?zz=1

That fake capacitor story is what got me to take a closer look at bad monitors/tv's, PC supplies, and my microwave. Also cut open a lot of bad capacitors but never found one like that picture.
    Spurred on by the success of my monitor, I just fixed my 10+ years old Cyber Acoustic speakers adjacent to the monitor. Two small amplified speakers and a thumping subwoofer that put out AMAZING sound until recently. The sub was getting crackly and cutting in & out, and there was some intermittent buzz. I replaced them at Christmas with a small pair of Logitechs, no subwoofer. Crappy sound, no surprise. Inside the errant CA speakerts, I replaced 4 electrolytics adjacent to the sub output and voila, back in business. And business is booming.

Not bad for some speakers that cost $15-20 and have been plugged in and powered up 24/7 for over ten years.

Now I've my soldering iron in hand, on the lookout for anything needing improvement via cap replacement. Come here, you mean old cat!

36-150-019-02.JPG
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Disrespect this this gangsta and he'll pop a cap in your raggedy Asus monitor.

erco, I disagree. Holding the gun like that I doubt he could hit the broad side of a barn if he was standing on it. :cool:
    edited 2017-01-10 18:01
    Well that's the gangsta way; if he ever does manage to hit the barn and damage it, I can fix it with a few new capacitors.
  • So, who makes good caps these days? Source?
    Jim
    I made some good caps. Whatever happened to the hat project, Ken?

112454&d=1419295597

• erco wrote: »
    I made some good caps. Whatever happened to the hat project, Ken?

112454&d=1419295597

Cute picture of your girls! (They must have got their looks from their mother <grin>)

edited 2017-01-12 17:50

Cute picture of your girls! (They must have got their looks from their mother <grin>)

Agree 100%! Only on my side of the family, cuteness skips a generation. :)

Back OT to monitors and bad caps, our friend rwgast also posted in 2012: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/142514/lcd-monitors-failing-bad-caps

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2017-01-12 23:19
    Doing a Google search for "Samsung bad capacitors" reveals a ton of links. I hope they've corrected their problems.
    https://google.com/search?num=100&site=&source=hp&q=samsung+bad+capacitors&oq=samsung+bad+capa

Consumer Reports ranks Samsung TVs high in their Feb 2017 issue...
    edited 2017-01-13 17:33
    No bad cap's, but a nice find on the trip to town, WORKS.

EDIT: Multi-Color LED display, made my day.

EDIT2: What if this guy just got robbed, and the bums didn't have any more room in their trunk.
    1072 x 1320 - 472K
  • It looks like it was in some muddy water, only the bottom of the rails, feet, casters and the peddle bottoms. Needs a going over tomorrow with some wrenches. It was a 2007 model, not much use and kept clean until recently.

Surprisingly it was still there after seeing it on the way to the store, taking a picture of it on the way back home, getting the wife and little dog and going back to load it in an SUV. We got it about halfway in the back hatch, and I climbed over the back seats to hold on to it on the way home. The wife took off to fast at the first stop sign, and just about lost the cross trainer, me and the little dog in her crate, that I had in the other hand.

These things are more enjoyable to use than a treadmill, more interesting than an exercise bike. And after carrying a couple of treadmills in and out of the house, it's lot lighter and easier to manage.
    2988 x 5312 - 2M
  • Nice find! I like them because you can go backwards.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Nice find! I like them because you can go backwards.

Great idea, I'm sure that will effect opposite leg muscles.

Good thing I decided to take it apart, loose bolts, screws, and not assembled right in the first place, switched some parts around and added a few washers. Lubricated the shafts and bushings and greased the carpet up in the process.

Previous owner had replaced batteries recently, fresh Duracell "D"cells are worth over six bucks around here. The wife is tickled, and I'm feeling the pain from just checking it out.

Keep your eyes open fellow forum member's, as erco has shown, one man's trash.. .
    Criminy, when you can buy a BRAND NEW 22" Samsung monitor for $77, it's hard to argue for replacing the caps in an old one. Fry's low prices guarantee that E-waste will be piled higher & deeper.

samsung.png
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    edited 2017-06-21 14:45
    I can't remember what I paid for a Samsung 22" back in '09, I bet it was $300+.
    Who needs a monitor these days when we have tv's that are ready and work great as computer monitor's.

I wonder how they will fair in in the long term?

Or is that what's happening, slowly being fazed out.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    I can't remember what I paid for a Samsung 22" back in '09, I bet it was $300+.
    Who needs a monitor these days when we have tv's that are ready and work great as computer monitor's.

I wonder how they will fair in in the long term?

Or is that what's happening, slowly being fazed out.

Convergence of tv and monitors was one of the benefits touted for lcd and plasma flat screens. It's working from both sides now. Computers with hdmi outputs and tv's with pc inputs.