Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scrapyard material? — Parallax Forums

Scrapyard material?

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-05-30 02:43 in General Discussion
Did anyone watch the Indy 500 yesterday?

Thank our maker, luck and modern technology, only minor injuries occurred.

An integration of electronics and machine, the Indy Cart is as technologically advanced as a modern jet plane, or anything we put into space.

Where is there scrapyard, I want to know.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/07/7-23-LED-Panels-To-Debut-At-Mid-Ohio

Comments

• You could have possibly caught one of these during the race. A whole automotive dashboard on the steering wheel. At 25 to 40 thousand dollars for one of these, it would be the ultimate souvenir. I bet any totaled vehicle gets totally scrapped, no re-use of parts. I wouldn't know what to do with such a thing, it may be an attention getter just lit up.

The giant LED display on the side of the car would make a nice clock display.
    A fellow member on Zappbots Forum had the idea of using large displays, but hasn't been updated in awhile:

http://zappbots.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=209
    636 x 411 - 402K
  • I've never been a race car fan, but I can see how this kind of tech could attract new fans. There are likely other ways that tech improvements can add new ways of enjoying this sport. It'll be interesting to see what else they think of.
  • So where do we find the displays? I also wonder if this will trickle down to NASCAR?
    Jim
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-05-30 14:43
    42 SMD RGB LED's per segment.
    294 LED's per digit.
    588 LED's per display.

What chip is driving that display?

Edit: They may only be R/G LED's which would make it easier.
  • The display can be found by Internet search. I am using a Prop to drive large format displays like this. There is really no limit to how large I can make them, but a few feet high is not unreasonable. My displays are an off shoot of LCD technology and are very low power, less than 3mA per 7-segment digit at 12 inches high. I can do the same thing with 3 foot or 4 foot high display digits. Downside, the technology is not cheap, prices start at $50 per digit, and go up from there. A 4 foot high digit, in the range of $300
  • I submit my entry in the 70's Digital Clock Contest. This was a kit except for the custom cabinet, probably James Electronics(Jameco).
    Next to it a Casio travel alarm clock/calculator and an RS analog indoor/outdoor thermometer, a kit if I remember right. Good times.
    It's about time I built another digital clock, and digits this size would be a challenge to put in a box, more like a frame that would be wall mountable.
    Anybody see how cheep made the modern version of a digital clock sold in a place like WM is.
    1156 x 894 - 163K
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    I also wonder if this will trickle down to NASCAR?
    Jim

They don't keep the paint on very long, let alone trying to keep sensitive electronics in tact. :lol:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    I wonder why they didn't use this technology:

• ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-05-30 18:42
    How about a digital sundial with no moving parts? Well, I suppose there's one moving part if you count the Earth.